OT: Mizzou to hire Kim

That is complete bs. The mere act of being unwilling to play a team that is basically your equivalent in a home and home is pretentious.

Just because Alden or others have slick non answers to the questions when the media asks about it does not mean that their demand that SLU do something more than a home and home (like a 2 for 1) does not stink of "having the unpleasant quality of people who want to be regarded as more impressive, successful, or important than they really are."

p.s. I took that last part directly from Merriam-Webster's definition of pretentious.

please link me alden ever commenting on it.

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This home and home with X can only be viewed as a slap in the face to SLU. Cintas is no bigger than the Fetz, and while X does have a longer record of success than SLU our recent success is about equal. Plus, is X going to draw a bigger crowd into Mizzery's arena than SLU? Is it going to draw a higher Nielsen number? Not likely unless Mizzery and X are both in the top 10 with national implications. May should call up OSU and try to get a home and home immediately w/ the Buckeyes.

Anderson may turn out great, but I would have been very dissapointed if slu would have hired him. His qualifications r weak. They can only hope that he does as well as crews has done with Rick Ms players. They have some highly rated players but they may not buy into a new syatem that emphasises defence. I see Anderson as an unproven Crews. I'd love to see us play each other every year, it would b a great rivalry. Maybe their new coach will MAN UP n play the game.

Question I've always had, but know nothing about him. Why isn't Tim fuller in line for the job? Seems like he was so important to keep and since he stayed I assume he's a mizzou guy not a Haith guy?

He was at Louisvile before Haith hired him and he has no other connection to Mizzou before that

Man, it must have been difficult to type that without laughing out loud. It seems so absurd now.

Soderberg had done a decent job with the team based on information in the sports sections at that time. I was surprised they let him go.

Question I've always had, but know nothing about him. Why isn't Tim fuller in line for the job? Seems like he was so important to keep and since he stayed I assume he's a mizzou guy not a Haith guy?

Fuller's known for his recruiting but not his coaching acumen, per se. I imagine he'll get his head coaching shot at some point. I know Florida A&M offered him the job.

-was mizzou playing us, or not, on the list of perpetual items on this board with the MVC and Ahearn and etc?

-my take, again, they don't want to play us, the guy that would sign the contract (Alden) on their behalf doesn't want to play us, so until something major changes longing for them to play us or debating why they won't seems a waste of key strokes

-was mizzou playing us, or not, on the list of perpetual items on this board with the MVC and Ahearn and etc?

-my take, again, they don't want to play us, the guy that would sign the contract (Alden) on their behalf doesn't want to play us, so until something major changes longing for them to play us or debating why they won't seems a waste of key strokes

It's the offseason... everything goes.

It's been played every year since 1980, with matchups happening before that. Are you saying Mizzou should end that series to play a game against SLU? It's one of the biggest games on the STL basketball calendar every year.

And again, any pretentiousness is not from Mizzou itself just from Mizzou fans you interact with.

It isn't like the Illini series has a much longer history than the SLU series. Mizzou has played the Illini a grand total of 4 more times than it has played SLU. When the SLU series was ended the last time it had for more history than the Bragging Rights game.

This from Jason King at BleacherReport. Not just some joke BleacherReport article. King was a main writer for ESPN just a year or 2 ago, but took this job to be one of the faces of CBB coverage for BR. I'd say his sources are good.

"2. I’m still not sure what to think of Missouri’s decision to hire a Division II coach (Central Missouri’s Kim Anderson) to replace Frank Haith. But I’ll give Tigers athletic director Mike Alden credit for one thing. Before settling on Anderson, he made a strong push to hire Gregg Marshall. And by strong, I mean Alden was prepared to shell out the money that would’ve been necessary to lure the nation’s hottest coach away from Wichita State.

Two sources close to search told me this week that Marshall turned down an offer worth approximately $3 million annually, which goes against the media narrative that money was the main issue that separated the two sides. The reasons for Marshall’s decision to stay at Wichita State were simple. He’s got a great team returning led by Ron Baker, Tekele Cotton and Fred VanVleet; his son, Kellen, is a high school junior; he didn’t want to take over a program with a depleted roster and, finally, he realizes better opportunities may arise in the next year or two. Marshall simply wasn't feeling it with Missouri. And that's not a knock on the Tigers program."

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2054676-kings-court-roy-williams-to-the-lakers-and-other-offseason-musings

This from Jason King at BleacherReport. Not just some joke BleacherReport article. King was a main writer for ESPN just a year or 2 ago, but took this job to be one of the faces of CBB coverage for BR. I'd say his sources are good.

"2. I’m still not sure what to think of Missouri’s decision to hire a Division II coach (Central Missouri’s Kim Anderson) to replace Frank Haith. But I’ll give Tigers athletic director Mike Alden credit for one thing. Before settling on Anderson, he made a strong push to hire Gregg Marshall. And by strong, I mean Alden was prepared to shell out the money that would’ve been necessary to lure the nation’s hottest coach away from Wichita State.

Two sources close to search told me this week that Marshall turned down an offer worth approximately $3 million annually, which goes against the media narrative that money was the main issue that separated the two sides. The reasons for Marshall’s decision to stay at Wichita State were simple. He’s got a great team returning led by Ron Baker, Tekele Cotton and Fred VanVleet; his son, Kellen, is a high school junior; he didn’t want to take over a program with a depleted roster and, finally, he realizes better opportunities may arise in the next year or two. Marshall simply wasn't feeling it with Missouri. And that's not a knock on the Tigers program."

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2054676-kings-court-roy-williams-to-the-lakers-and-other-offseason-musings

Haha! Sure it is. He realizes WSU is a better program now and that he can do much better than SPUMAC in the future... and the HUGE pile of money they tried to throw at him couldn't change his mind.

Haha! Sure it is. He realizes WSU is a better program now and that he can do much better than SPUMAC in the future... and the HUGE pile of money they tried to throw at him couldn't change his mind.

Lets be honest, a few really good seasons does not make Wichita State a better program than Missouri. Sure they made a huge run two seasons ago and followed it up with a great season this year and will be good again next season, but a couple of good seasons does not make them the better program. The Missouri Valley is garbage and he would be wise to jump ship as soon as his team gets bounced from the tournament next spring.

Lets be honest, a few really good seasons does not make Wichita State a better program than Missouri. Sure they made a huge run two seasons and followed it up with a great season this year and will be good again next season, but a couple of good seasons does not make them the better program. The Missouri Valley is garbage and he would be wise to jump ship as soon as his team gets bounced from the tournament next spring.

+1. Wichita State is in a better position right now, but it's definitely not a better program than Mizzou. Marshall's choice is the right one, though: his WSU team is going to be very good again next year and he'd be walking into a rebuilding project at Mizzou. Why not wait another year and see what jobs open up? He'll be a hot commodity again next year, and he might as well leverage that into something better than Mizzou.

+1. Wichita State is in a better position right now, but it's definitely not a better program than Mizzou. Marshall's choice is the right one, though: his WSU team is going to be very good again next year and he'd be walking into a rebuilding project at Mizzou. Why not wait another year and see what jobs open up? He'll be a hot commodity again next year, and he might as well leverage that into something better than Mizzou.

Absolutely. I think things line up perfectly for him to have another big season at Wichita State, be around while his son graduates from high school, and then put his name out there for whatever jobs open up next spring. Missouri is not a destination job for him, so no reason for him to leave a good thing at this point. Better jobs than Mizzou will be pursuing him in the near future.

I could make a pretty solid argument that Wichita State is at the very least an equal job to mizzou.

Wichita isn't exactly a Johnny come lately and has had equal or more success than mizzou throughout.

I could make a pretty solid argument that Wichita State is at the very least an equal job to mizzou.

Wichita isn't exactly a Johnny come lately and has had equal or more success than mizzou throughout.

Wichita State isn't a bad program, but Mizzou is definitely a notch or two above. Mizzou has significantly more NCAA tournament appearances (26 v. 11) and tournament wins (22 v. 13) (though, in fairness, WSU has 2 Final Fours to Mizzou's goose egg). There's something to be said for playing on a bigger stage, against better competition, and with a larger budget, too.

Marshall's a different kind of guy. He was an asst at College of Charleston to John Kress (much loved here in Charleston). When CofC let Herring go Marshall accepted then on the ride home decided it wasn't fair to his family. He stayed one more year at Winthrop and then went to WSU. It was also rumored that So. Carolina was hot after him also, but he took the WSU job instead. Go figure? I'd agree Mizzery is a better job than WSU if for no other reasons other than recruiting and SEC's national exposure. But trying to figure out Marshall's career goals is not black and white. The man marches to a different drummer. Similar to Shaka Khan at VCU. Both guys are hot commodities who would be welcomed w/open arms and showered with riches by many BCS programs, yet, they don't take the opportunities. Hey, maybe they're both really happy in their respective jobs and money is not their priority. Got to respect a man who doesn't think money is everything.