OT: Mizzou to hire Kim

I think this is good for SLU.

Kim is a plug.

No top notch coaches will go there now with the big mess with Missouri athletes and the athletic department.

So bring in Kim, try to sell everyone that he is a Mizzou grad, blah blah lets get back to our roots, but kids do not care about the Norm Stewart era and will not recognize him as a big time coach coming from Central Missouri State. CMS? WTF?

SO it is patchwork time, good coaches would not want to go there and possibly get burned with the AD in hot water and possible athletic department further disclosures and even penalties, plus the bad PR.

So they hired Anderson, a band aid. He is happy, they have a "story".

He is a good guy. They should have hired him long, long ago, before his resume was downgraded with all those years at CMS.

This is good for SLU.

At the end of your stream of consciousness rambling I don't feel as though I learned anything new.

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess you haven't been on the internet during a coaching search before? Every fan base shoots for the moon with speculation, including this board in the past.

I have. Our last real coaching search, Rick Majerus was brought up. The idea was mocked by our resident Mizzou trolls at the time who dismissed it as unrealistic. I think our fan base is generally much more rooted in reality than yours.

I have. Our last real coaching search, Rick Majerus was brought up. The idea was mocked by our resident Mizzou trolls at the time who dismissed it as unrealistic. I think our fan base is generally much more rooted in reality than yours.

Heck, it seems like most on this board undershoot when talking about coaches and bring up names of current or former assistants that have never been the head coach anywhere.

Heck, it seems like most on this board undershoot when talking about coaches and bring up names of current or former assistants that have never been the head coach anywhere.

True but I remember a thread before Crews officially got the job that named Howland, Tubby Smith, and Bobby Knight as potential replacements for RM. I'm not trying to say everyone on this board shoots for the moon, just that every "potential new coach" period on internet fan boards includes a little bit of delusion.

True but I remember a thread before Crews officially got the job that named Howland, Tubby Smith, and Bobby Knight as potential replacements for RM. I'm not trying to say everyone on this board shoots for the moon, just that every "potential new coach" period on internet fan boards includes a little bit of delusion.

That's great and all but none of those are shooting for the moon. Howland can't land a job at this point and would gladly jump for an opportunity at the SLU level or higher. Bobby Knight, please. He's completely over the hill and will never coach again. Tubby is actually fairly reasonable and ended up at a school with a lower basketball pedigree than SLU.

That's great and all but none of those are shooting for the moon. Howland can't land a job at this point and would gladly jump for an opportunity at the SLU level or higher. Bobby Knight, please. He's completely over the hill and will never coach again. Tubby is actually fairly reasonable and ended up at a school with a lower basketball pedigree than SLU.

+1 Beat me to it. I don't recall anybody seriously considering Bobby Knight, so that's ridiculous. If this job was good enough for RM, I think it would have been good enough for two coaches who were unemployed at the time. Also, being a Top 25 team at the time with most of the starters coming back was another plus. Mizzou fans are far more delusional about how attractive their job is.

+1 Beat me to it. I don't recall anybody seriously considering Bobby Knight, so that's ridiculous. If this job was good enough for RM, I think it would have been good enough for two coaches who were unemployed at the time. Also, being a Top 25 team at the time with most of the starters coming back was another plus. Mizzou fans are far more delusional about how attractive their job is.

The fact that no one took Bobby Knight seriously doesn't take away from the fact that a couple "delusional" fans posted about it.

The vast majority of talk in any Mizzou forum centered on Kim Anderson, Ben Howland, and Gregg Marshall as an admitted longshot by most people. How is that delusional?

The fact that no one took Bobby Knight seriously doesn't take away from the fact that a couple "delusional" fans posted about it.

The vast majority of talk in any Mizzou forum centered on Kim Anderson, Ben Howland, and Gregg Marshall as an admitted longshot by most people. How is that delusional?

No, those were the three names that appear to have been involved in the actual search... there was a LOT more FAN speculation than that - Mack, Cronin, Matta, Wright, Miller, Smart, Kruger. I don't care enough to go back and look, but there were more.

No, those were the three names that appear to have been involved in the actual search... there was a LOT more FAN speculation than that - Mack, Cronin, Matta, Wright, Miller, Smart, Kruger. I don't care enough to go back and look, but there were more.

Okay but as I referenced, a few fans throwing names at the wall doesn't mean "delusional fanbase." Missouri is an attractive job. It's not the MOST attractive job but Sports Illustrated rated it the best job to open up this year. You don't have to agree with that (and I'm not even necessarily saying I do) but while not being a destination job it can draw interest from a lot of coaches.

If Gregg Marshall was willing to meet with Alden to talk about the position (which he did), I think that speaks to the attractiveness of the job itself, regardless of him not taking it.

Okay but as I referenced, a few fans throwing names at the wall doesn't mean "delusional fanbase." Missouri is an attractive job. It's not the MOST attractive job but Sports Illustrated rated it the best job to open up this year. You don't have to agree with that (and I'm not even necessarily saying I do) but while not being a destination job it can draw interest from a lot of coaches.

If Gregg Marshall was willing to meet with Alden to talk about the position (which he did), I think that speaks to the attractiveness of the job itself, regardless of him not taking it.

Apparently, the best job to open up this year was Tulsa.

link?

http://www.kansascity.com/2014/04/28/4987531/missouri-curators-meet-by-teleconference.html

"Wichita State coach Gregg Marshall also was contacted about the job. His agent said Monday that Marshall met with Alden and “was very impressed with Mike’s vision and leadership and with the potential of the Missouri basketball program” but that the timing was off to even consider leaving the Shockers."

Is Haith getting paid more at Tulsa than Anderson at SPU?

He's getting 1.7 million for 7 years, which is less than he was making at Mizzou, but presumably 6 more years of money than he would have gotten from Mizzou. Anderson is making 1.1 million guaranteed with incentives that can push it to around 2 million.

http://www.kansascity.com/2014/04/28/4987531/missouri-curators-meet-by-teleconference.html

"Wichita State coach Gregg Marshall also was contacted about the job. His agent said Monday that Marshall met with Alden and “was very impressed with Mike’s vision and leadership and with the potential of the Missouri basketball program” but that the timing was off to even consider leaving the Shockers."

So he met but he wouldn't even consider leaving Wichita St? Doesn't make much sense from his part.