HS Class of 2014 Updates

Pistol

I know ESPN's recruiting grades aren't always spot on and I know recruiting rankings don't mean everything, but here's the final grades for ESPN along with a grading scale.

RecruitingNation High School Basketball Grading System

90-100: High-major plus prospect (5 stars)

Player demonstrates rare abilities. He should have an immediate impact at a national program with the potential for early entry into the NBA.

85-89: High-major prospect (4 stars)

Player is the centerpiece to a high-major program who starts three to four years.

80-84: High-major minus prospect (4 stars)

Player has the potential to significantly contribute to a high-major program over four years.

70-79: Mid-major plus prospect (3 stars)

Player is a fringe high-major recruit who contributes or a standout mid-level recruit.

65-69: Mid-major prospect (2 stars)

Player is a multi-year starter at the mid-major level.

60-64: Mid-major minus prospect (2 stars)

Player is a role player at the mid-major level.

50-59: Low-major prospect (1 star)

Player is a low-major Division I prospect.

Brett Jolly: 75

Strengths:

Jolly is a skilled big man who can provide an inside-out scoring presence. He shoots the ball well to the three-point line and is very productive in pick and pop action. He moves very well without the ball on the interior and excels at ducking in for deep post catches where he can quickly catch and finish. He also has an equally soft shooting touch with his back to the basket. He;s an intelligent player who knows how to play in offensive structure and brings the physical toughness necessary to defend bigger players on the block.

Weaknesses:

Jolly isn't a naturally explosive athlete and so he%u2019ll be given up some quickness and leaping ability in certain match-ups and will be more of a positional team defender than shot-blocker. He's more comfortable facing the basket from the perimeter, tends to rely on fade-aways from the low post. Because he's a jump-shooting big man that lacks a go-to low post move that takes him toward the basket, he also doesn't get to the free-throw line very often.

Bottom Line:

Jolly is a skilled outside-in big man who is physically tough and fundamentally sound. He can defend both frontcourt positions and is beginning to develop enough of a low-post presence with his ability to seal and score.

Davell Roby: 74

Strengths:

He is long and crafty, can play the two-guard spot and will be a killer when the confidence in his shot rises to the level it needs to become. He is dynamite in transition and will finish drives with a flourish. He plays defense using his length for deflections but lack of strength keeps him from pushing up on bigger guards.

Weaknesses:

He needs to add strength in a major way to not only increase his range but to make him more efficient off the dribble when he drives to the cup.

Bottom Line:

Outstanding athlete and competitor with major upside.

Austin Gillmann: 71

No report

Milik Yarbrough: 70

Strengths:

Milik is a power wing. He can "big body" most kids in his age group and take them wherever he wants on the court and then score. Yarbrough has a solid skill set. He has a decent handle and is a streaky shooter with range to 20 feet. He is an average basketball athlete right now. He is tough and can be dominant when motivated. Milik is versatile and can play small forward, power forward or shooting guard. He is a natural scorer and is a tremendous post up player with his skill and strength.

Weaknesses:

Milik needs to get in a little better physical condition. His physique does have some roundness to it. He plays hard most of the time but could increase the consistency of his effort. He is a good rebounder for a wing. Defensively Yarbrough is average right now but he has the intensity and physical prowess to be much better.

Bottom Line:

Milik kind of puts you in the mind of a young Mark Aguirre. He can score and has some warrior in him. Once he gets in better shape and learns to be consistent in his effort he will be one of the best scorers in the 2014 class.

Miles Reynolds: 69

Strengths:

Reynolds is a combination guard that can be very production off and on the ball. He can push off the pass or dribble on the break or run the wing. Reynolds attacks with his head and eyes up and he is always ready to make the next play. Reynolds is one of the few guards that consciously looks to feed the low post.He can get to the rim where he can finish or drop off. He is a pretty good rebounder for a guard as well. He can hit the open jumper with range to the arc when he is set and in the flow or a rhythm. Reynolds also is capable of defending both guard positions.

Weaknesses:

Reynolds will need to continue to work on his perimeter jumper because he is very streaky. He can be streaky bad or good. He will also need to pick his spots on defense and not gamble for steals which exposes the defense when he doesn't come up with the steal. Adding strength must also be on his to do list.

Bottom Line:

Reynolds is a versatile combination guards that can makes plays off the bounce. He can play off and on the ball on both ends of the floor and is a guard that can be an X factor during the game and completely change the outcome.

Marcus Barley: 69

Strengths:

Bartley is a long and thin point guard that has a great feel for the game. He is an excellent passer in the open court, when running a set play and when he needs to create at end of clock situations. Bartley really does a nice job of controlling the game and involving teammates. He can make open shots with time and space with range to the arc. Bartley plays with his head and eyes up, has good court vision and really puts pressure on the defense with his willingness to advance pass up the floor.

Weaknesses:

Bartley will need to add strength and work to make his perimeter jumper a more consistent weapon.

Bottom Line:

Bartley is a true point guard that can control the game with his feel for the game and passing. He is a guard that is a good decision maker that keeps it simple and is very productive.

Thanks for this!

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Jolly went from zero to hero pretty quick

I know. It's like, I was sitting at my desk two minutes ago, and BAM now I'm in the shitter honking like a dying goose.

I think if Jolly can give us 10 and 6 the first year, and 15 and 8 the second, I'll be happy with his performance.

I know. It's like, I was sitting at my desk two minutes ago, and BAM now I'm in the shitter honking like a dying goose.

I think if Jolly can give us 10 and 6 the first year, and 15 and 8 the second, I'll be happy with his performance.

His training has really paid off.

Washbasin training is now standard.

You are asking a lot from a freshman - If he can do 10 and 6 for his career we should be happy and if he does 15 and 8 as a sophomore then we should be euphoric.

I happen to think Jolly will get 10-15mpg this season as we need a backup for JM. However, it does read like he's more of an RL type than a back to the basket C. Anyone know what the Wellmer kid's style is? Is he more a CE type or is he a banger? If the latter, I hope we use that last '15 scholie on a banger.

You are asking a lot from a freshman - If he can do 10 and 6 for his career we should be happy and if he does 15 and 8 as a sophomore then we should be euphoric.

i actually felt like i lowballed my expectations.

i'd like to see him go for 18 and 10 his first year. wouldn't mind to see him hit 45% from three, if he's known for his range. also, with his height, i don't think it's unreasonable to expect 2-3 blocks per game. with his length, we ought to be seeing 1-2 steals per game as well. we're going to need a big man passer with rob loe leaving, too. would like to see 3-5 assists per game, on simple kickouts. jolly probably shouldn't drink water during timeouts either, he needs to focus on building muscle and we can't have him getting bloated. i don't think he should really sleep much, either. the deprivation will help him prepare for the mental strain of games and enhance his court awareness.

there's a lot of minutes up for grabs this year, and i think jolly has to look to steal as many as he can. to recap, i expect:

18 points

10 rebounds

4 assists

2.5 blocks

1.5 steals

no water

no sleep

4.0 GPA

steal mcbroom's bi.tch

thumb wrestle rammer to a draw

double up on wash basin training

it's time we stopped settling for mediocrity.

I know ESPN's recruiting grades aren't always spot on and I know recruiting rankings don't mean everything, but here's the final grades for ESPN along with a grading scale.

Player demonstrates rare abilities. He should have an immediate impact at a national program with the potential for early entry into the NBA.

Player is the centerpiece to a high-major program who starts three to four years.

Player has the potential to significantly contribute to a high-major program over four years.

Player is a fringe high-major recruit who contributes or a standout mid-level recruit.

Strengths:

Jolly is a skilled big man who can provide an inside-out scoring presence. He shoots the ball well to the three-point line and is very productive in pick and pop action. He moves very well without the ball on the interior and excels at ducking in for deep post catches where he can quickly catch and finish. He also has an equally soft shooting touch with his back to the basket. He;s an intelligent player who knows how to play in offensive structure and brings the physical toughness necessary to defend bigger players on the block.

Weaknesses:

Jolly isn't a naturally explosive athlete and so he’ll be given up some quickness and leaping ability in certain match-ups and will be more of a positional team defender than shot-blocker. He's more comfortable facing the basket from the perimeter, tends to rely on fade-aways from the low post. Because he's a jump-shooting big man that lacks a go-to low post move that takes him toward the basket, he also doesn't get to the free-throw line very often.

Bottom Line:

Jolly is a skilled outside-in big man who is physically tough and fundamentally sound. He can defend both frontcourt positions and is beginning to develop enough of a low-post presence with his ability to seal and score.

Strengths:

He is long and crafty, can play the two-guard spot and will be a killer when the confidence in his shot rises to the level it needs to become. He is dynamite in transition and will finish drives with a flourish. He plays defense using his length for deflections but lack of strength keeps him from pushing up on bigger guards.

Weaknesses:

He needs to add strength in a major way to not only increase his range but to make him more efficient off the dribble when he drives to the cup.

Bottom Line:

No report

Strengths:

Milik is a power wing. He can "big body" most kids in his age group and take them wherever he wants on the court and then score. Yarbrough has a solid skill set. He has a decent handle and is a streaky shooter with range to 20 feet. He is an average basketball athlete right now. He is tough and can be dominant when motivated. Milik is versatile and can play small forward, power forward or shooting guard. He is a natural scorer and is a tremendous post up player with his skill and strength.

Weaknesses:

Milik needs to get in a little better physical condition. His physique does have some roundness to it. He plays hard most of the time but could increase the consistency of his effort. He is a good rebounder for a wing. Defensively Yarbrough is average right now but he has the intensity and physical prowess to be much better.

Bottom Line:

Milik kind of puts you in the mind of a young Mark Aguirre. He can score and has some warrior in him. Once he gets in better shape and learns to be consistent in his effort he will be one of the best scorers in the 2014 class.

Strengths:

Reynolds is a combination guard that can be very production off and on the ball. He can push off the pass or dribble on the break or run the wing. Reynolds attacks with his head and eyes up and he is always ready to make the next play. Reynolds is one of the few guards that consciously looks to feed the low post.He can get to the rim where he can finish or drop off. He is a pretty good rebounder for a guard as well. He can hit the open jumper with range to the arc when he is set and in the flow or a rhythm. Reynolds also is capable of defending both guard positions.

Weaknesses:

Reynolds will need to continue to work on his perimeter jumper because he is very streaky. He can be streaky bad or good. He will also need to pick his spots on defense and not gamble for steals which exposes the defense when he doesn't come up with the steal. Adding strength must also be on his to do list.

Bottom Line:

Reynolds is a versatile combination guards that can makes plays off the bounce. He can play off and on the ball on both ends of the floor and is a guard that can be an X factor during the game and completely change the outcome.

Strengths:

Bartley is a long and thin point guard that has a great feel for the game. He is an excellent passer in the open court, when running a set play and when he needs to create at end of clock situations. Bartley really does a nice job of controlling the game and involving teammates. He can make open shots with time and space with range to the arc. Bartley plays with his head and eyes up, has good court vision and really puts pressure on the defense with his willingness to advance pass up the floor.

Weaknesses:

Bartley will need to add strength and work to make his perimeter jumper a more consistent weapon.

Bottom Line:

Bartley is a true point guard that can control the game with his feel for the game and passing. He is a guard that is a good decision maker that keeps it simple and is very productive.

I am not sure if I am suppose to feel good or questioning by these rankings - I understand that rankings can be wrong but my point is - are these numbers really all that good or are they just mediocre?

I am not sure if I am suppose to feel good or questioning by these rankings - I understand that rankings can be wrong but my point is - are these numbers really all that good or are they just mediocre?

Star ratings are generally not something I pay much attention to but 2 and 3 stars are what we have under this system. I'm more than happy with this class but 24 wins as freshmen is a LOT to EXPECT!

Star ratings are generally not something I pay much attention to but 2 and 3 stars are what we have under this system. I'm more than happy with this class but 24 wins as freshmen is a LOT to EXPECT!

Oh. I would like Brett Jolly to contribute 8-10 win shares next season. OKTHXBAI.

Saying raising the bar and raising expectations wont do it - that is like telling somebody to run faster if they are already running as fast as they can. I had a boss - who when he would ask about the progress on a project and you explained that it was going slower than planned because of issues that had arisen that nobody had control over and he would say I don't care just get it done no excuses. I always had to shake my head when he left because just saying make all the issues go away doesn't make it happen - in fact when the deadline would come and go he would huff and puff but if the permits were not being approved fast enough there was nothing anybody could do about it. My point is saying you want to raise the bar for these players is not productive if they are not capable of doing it. Don't ask a 2 star to be a 5 star just because you want him to be and be surprised when it does not happen.

Here is another question - were the star rankings of TL and RA any different then these guys - if not then why would you expect anymore from them? - I get the idea that there are a lot of minutes available but if these new guys are scoring only because we don't have anybody better then I am not sure the points and rebounds mean anything - remember JB - he had a good numbers as a freshman at Toledo and they never equated to anything for us to speak of.

Saying raising the bar and raising expectations wont do it - that is like telling somebody to run faster if they are already running as fast as they can. I had a boss - who when he would ask about the progress on a project and you explained that it was going slower than planned because of issues that had arisen that nobody had control over and he would say I don't care just get it done no excuses. I always had to shake my head when he left because just saying make all the issues go away doesn't make it happen - in fact when the deadline would come and go he would huff and puff but if the permits were not being approved fast enough there was nothing anybody could do about it. My point is saying you want to raise the bar for these players is not productive if they are not capable of doing it. Don't ask a 2 star to be a 5 star just because you want him to be and be surprised when it does not happen.

What I'm hearing from you is a lot of excuses. To get better results I like to yell at my subordinates while they're working. I think Coach Crews should reinstate this method. Jolly doubling up on Washbasin training is good but if I were there yelling at him to do it faster, jump higher and further then it'd be great and he'd definitely achieve a double double average on the season. This can be simulated by playing the first half of "Full Metal Jacket" while working out.

Cheese. I full agree.

Personally, I have not watched any of our incoming recruits so my knowledge of them is based solely on what I read about them (on my own and from this Board), from what others who have watched them say about them and from watching the video clips on this Board. With that said, aren't the guys who are supposed to be our "best" players (MY, MR and MB) the ones with the lowest ESPN scores?

Don't get me wrong. I am pleased with the job done by Jim Crews and staff, I am hopeful and optimistic, but like, you I am having trouble comprehending how these Frosh will step in and lead our team to a fourth NCAA Tourney as opposed to struggle just like our graduating Seniors (DE, RL, MM and JJ) did as Frosh and just like our upcoming Sophs (TL, RA and MC) did last year.

14190149601_cf52374739_c.jpg

Cheese. I full agree.

Personally, I have not watched any of our incoming recruits so my knowledge of them is based solely on what I read about them (on my own and from this Board), from what others who have watched them say about them and from watching the video clips on this Board. With that said, aren't the guys who are supposed to be our "best" players (MY, MR and MB) the ones with the lowest ESPN scores?

Don't get me wrong. I am pleased with the job done by Jim Crews and staff, I am hopeful and optimistic, but like, you I am having trouble comprehending how these Frosh will step in and lead our team to a fourth NCAA Tourney as opposed to struggle just like our graduating Seniors (DE, RL, MM and JJ) did as Frosh and just like our upcoming Sophs (TL, RA and MC) did last year.

If we are going to have success, I don't think it will need to be the freshman to "lead." Obviously, some of them will need to contribute, but the seven non-freshmen will have to be the ones to lead. JM, GG, RA and TL will likely be our four-man rotation of bigs. I expect Gillman to redshirt and Jolly to be used on occasion depending on match-ups, but not be a core player next year. At the 3, Crawford is really the only returning player, so that is the position where a freshman has the best opportunity to make an impact - Yarbrough or Roby most likely. AM and AY were likely begin as the starting backcourt, with the freshmen battling for minutes and hopefully one of them pushing AM to be the starter.

Three of our freshmen will likely get limited minutes. Point guard and small forward are the most likely positions where a freshman can make a big impact.

Strengths:

Weaknesses:

Jolly isn't a naturally explosive athlete and so he’ll be given up some quickness and leaping ability in certain match-ups and will be more of a positional team defender than shot-blocker. He's more comfortable facing the basket from the perimeter, tends to rely on fade-aways from the low post. Because he's a jump-shooting big man that lacks a go-to low post move that takes him toward the basket, he also doesn't get to the free-throw line very often.

Bottom Line:

Strengths:

Weaknesses:

Bottom Line:

No report

Strengths:

Weaknesses:

Bottom Line:

Strengths:

Weaknesses:

Bottom Line:

Strengths:

Weaknesses:

Bottom Line:

Here's the link to the Loe, Jett, McCall, Evans recruiting class. http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/databaseresults?rstname=&lastname=&class=2010&starsfilter=GT&stars=0&ratingfilter=GT&rating=&positionrank=&sportid=4294967265&collegeid=139&conference=&visitmonth=&visityear=&statuscommit=Commitments&statusuncommit=Uncommited&honor=&region=&state=&height=&weight=

The ranking criteria must have changed, because Loe is given a 91, but is only 3 stars.

Loe 3 stars Grade 91

Jett 3 stars Grade 90

McCall 3 stars Grade 88

Evans 3 stars Grade 80

If we are going to have success, I don't think it will need to be the freshman to "lead." Obviously, some of them will need to contribute, but the seven non-freshmen will have to be the ones to lead. JM, GG, RA and TL will likely be our four-man rotation of bigs. I expect Gillman to redshirt and Jolly to be used on occasion depending on match-ups, but not be a core player next year. At the 3, Crawford is really the only returning player, so that is the position where a freshman has the best opportunity to make an impact - Yarbrough or Roby most likely. AM and AY were likely begin as the starting backcourt, with the freshmen battling for minutes and hopefully one of them pushing AM to be the starter.

Three of our freshmen will likely get limited minutes. Point guard and small forward are the most likely positions where a freshman can make a big impact.

Good post - I agree on basically all of your points.

Here's the link to the Loe, Jett, McCall, Evans recruiting class. http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/databaseresults?rstname=&lastname=&class=2010&starsfilter=GT&stars=0&ratingfilter=GT&rating=&positionrank=&sportid=4294967265&collegeid=139&conference=&visitmonth=&visityear=&statuscommit=Commitments&statusuncommit=Uncommited&honor=&region=&state=&height=&weight=

The ranking criteria must have changed, because Loe is given a 91, but is only 3 stars.

Loe 3 stars Grade 91

Jett 3 stars Grade 90

McCall 3 stars Grade 88

Evans 3 stars Grade 80

Yeah ranking criteria changed about 2 or 3 years ago