John Manning

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't hate JM one bit. But being honest does anyone believe he progressed much last season? He was hurt and when he got in he didnt appear to have additional strength or confidence from his first year. Hope he makes a giant leap this season but I can't see it. That's why I wonder about his summer play.

The 16th best team in the country last year played a 9 man rotation. I wouldn't necessarily give up on the youngest player on the team just because he was player number 10 on that team.

+1. People need to get used to young guys not contributing because of upper class talent. This past year's seniors didn't have much talent in the classes above them. Between that class and the rising seniors, there just wasn't much opportunity at any position.

Why is it wrong to wonder about a kid's development? I hope JM comes on strong - win win for everybody - but when a player seems to be stymied in his development for whatever the reason, a fan naturally starts to wonder. JM - fairly or unfairly - was over hyped by RM so this is is why people keep wondering.

Why is it wrong to wonder about a kid's development? I hope JM comes on strong - win win for everybody - but when a player seems to be stymied in his development for whatever the reason, a fan naturally starts to wonder. JM - fairly or unfairly - was over hyped by RM so this is is why people keep wondering.

But it's not a certainty that his development has been hindered just because his playing time has been. Talented teams with experienced depth have end-of-bench players who are better than the star players of lesser teams. For all we know, Manning (when healthy) could have been better in 2012-13 than Ian Vouyoukas was in '04-05, but whereas Ian had to play in his sophomore year because there wasn't much in front of him, Manning didn't really fit in the Billikens' rotation in his (sophomore year).

i agree with cheese, and for those of you trying to rationalize it with "a deep rotation". my gosh, he was behind glaze, remeken and loe who between them arenot exactly sure fire billiken hall of famers at this point

+1. People need to get used to young guys not contributing because of upper class talent. This past year's seniors didn't have much talent in the classes above them. Between that class and the rising seniors, there just wasn't much opportunity at any position.

There is always room for a center who can defend the post, rebound and alter shots,even if they don't have much offense. He wasn't that last year. If he can develop in to that, he will play.

JM has not shown anything to say he could have been better as a sophomore then Ian V - show me any proof/data to that I am open to being convinced, As I said, I hope JM comes on like a forest fire this year but to assume that he will is being overly optimistic. Anybody can have the light go on at anytime but we have to be realistic about that kind of thinking - it is the exception not the rule. Say what you like about Glaze but he worked his way into the rotation with a very limited offensive skill set last year - I know it was for only short spurts but there is no denying that he found a way. He also was injured last year but managed to find a way to increase his stock. It is time for JM to suck it up and make a meaningful contribution other than as a schollie practice player.

Manning wasn't able to practice for about 2 and a half weeks in the middle of the season due to his concussion. Prior to this he was showing improvement and was getting ample minutes when the match ups worked. If it wasn't for his injury last year I believe he would of gotten a lot of Grandys minutes

I'd like to see Manning have a breakout season, he has a lot to bring to the table but he clearly has not jelled yet.

He could really help if this happens.. it is possible... but I am not counting on it happening. We shall see.

I'd like to see Manning have a breakout season, he has a lot to bring to the table but he clearly has not jelled yet.

He could really help if this happens.. it is possible... but I am not counting on it happening. We shall see.

It may happen. It may not.

Manning wasn't able to practice for about 2 and a half weeks in the middle of the season due to his concussion. Prior to this he was showing improvement and was getting ample minutes when the match ups worked. If it wasn't for his injury last year I believe he would of gotten a lot of Grandys minutes

Grandy was hurt longer then then JM and he was hurt at the early part of the season when the rotation was fluid. JM could have asserted himself then but he did not. Grandy comes back and passes the other up. If JM had taken the opportunity he was handed Grandy would not have passed him. JM's concussion was not the problem it was JM blowing his chance.

Grandy was hurt longer then then JM and he was hurt at the early part of the season when the rotation was fluid. JM could have asserted himself then but he did not. Grandy comes back and passes the other up. If JM had taken the opportunity he was handed Grandy would not have passed him. JM's concussion was not the problem it was JM blowing his chance.

I disagree. Manning and Glaze are different players. The things that Grandy did which bought him those 12 minutes a game are not things that Mannimg could've merely "asserted" himself at. I don't think the two players were in direct competition at all.

JM will get CR minutes GG, TL, RA probably all will out muscle their opponents but JM could back up RL as in/out guy and is fluid with hooks with both hands something CR tried to be but had no finishing touch; I look for him to be his own man not an IV

I disagree. Manning and Glaze are different players. The things that Grandy did which bought him those 12 minutes a game are not things that Mannimg could've merely "asserted" himself at. I don't think the two players were in direct competition at all.

+1 well said. Grandy is there to provide energy and hustle, while JM is a skilled big. Two COMPLETELY different types of players

You are not disagreeing with me - I never said they were the same - my post was in response to Westy when he said Grandy got JM minutes because JM was injured.

Have you ever had a serious concussion? It's not something you just "shake off." You have no idea what type of symptoms, side-effects, or lingering problems Manning experienced. Moreover, Manning and Glaze were never competing for minutes. They play different positions. And this doesn't even take into account the fact that Manning is going to be a JUNIOR. But yes, he's blown his chance.

John Manning is the new Kyle Cassity. Yay!