2014 Commit #2 Austin Gillmann (Center)

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone know when the high school basketball schedules come out? I would love to see if Oakville and Desmet play each other. It would be interesting to see AG go against Berry to get a preview of both.

Berry is going to be at butler next year.

That's what I was on about earlier. Spelling (or in this case usage) nazis lead to initials. Don't be a JA or and AH! :P

Rich, I wouldn't normally have said anything, but Bizzle said, "Exactly." Well, not "exactly," because of "then" when it should be "than." It's really basic. :)

And I'm not suggesting that I'm perfect, either.

Berry is going to be at butler next year.

I love that I have discovered the edit function to correct my oops comments. I realized my mistake right away, but you replied before I could correct it.

How about this, does anyone know if Berry and AG went head to head last year and, if so, how it went?

I love that I have discovered the edit function to correct my oops comments. I realized my mistake right away, but you replied before I could correct it.

How about this, does anyone know if Berry and AG went head to head last year and, if so, how it went?

It appears that Oakville did play Desmet on February 14. DeSmet won easily 76 - 48. Berry led 25 with 10 bebounds and Gillmann led Oakville with 13 point and 10 rebounds.

Here is a link to Oakville's schedule if you want to check out any other matchups.

I witnessed 3x gillnann being outplayed by much shorter centers at both the collinsville holiday tourney and the Belleville east tourney. However I just wrote those off to the FACT Illinois high school basketball is always far superior to Missouri high school basketball.

I witnessed 3x gillnann being outplayed by much shorter centers at both the collinsville holiday tourney and the Belleville east tourney. However I just wrote those off to the FACT Illinois high school basketball is always far superior to Missouri high school basketball.

Uh huh. :rolleyes:

Young men who sprout to 6'11" when they are only 17 are often slow to develop into "tough" players who can play against shorter stronger centers when they are young--particularly as juniors in high school. It takes time to build the muscle mass to compete at a high level. But if a young man has skills and is willing to work hard in a few years he can be a player. A perfect example is Jeff Withey (and I am not suggesting this man will become JW) who was very thin and struggled a lot when he was younger and did virtually nothing early in his college career but then he sat our a year at Kansas, bulked up, and became a really excellent college player. I like what I have read about his young man and the comments from his coach. I think our staff can really do some great development work with him and he could be a real contributor eventually. In the meantime we have several nice big guys coming in and we are recruiting several others. The future looks bright.

As a junior 6 foot 9 as a start of summer his coach says he is 6 foot 11 flat footed and the staff says he can take a step before dunking a skill most seven footers do not have in highschool.

If he grows a little and makes some progress this year I would still like to see him take his senior year in five college years rather than four. He won't have summers playing for Greece or New Zealand as IV did and RL does plus our present staff believes it can homeschool bigs instead of losing them to bigman camps in summer. Let us hope that he is NBA material

Do you think the staff has seen him play?

So the staff spends a few days with him at a camp and decides he's worth a scholarship, but you've possibly seen him play a couple of times and you have a better feel for his potential college career?

I'd agree he's been signed bassed upon potential, but 6'11" kids with (and this is based upon what I've read as I haven't seen him play) good hands, good footwork and a nice touch out to the 3 point line aren't a dime a dozen.

Either way, I'll assume the staff has the better clue on whether the kid was worthy of the scholarship

Bingo

he went 14-10 against webster but, im pretty sure WG big is only 6'5.

6"6 and starting to get some looks for D1. Floresca also had 14-10 that game. To answer NH's question about bigs who were better last year, off the top of my head: Berry, Martin from Central, Doby from CBC, Marquette had a good one who is playing baseball at Harvard, Floresca is about even with AG, and the big from Vianney has a similar build to AG and went to Central Missouri. However, in the long run I'll take AG over Martin and Vianney's center because of his ability to shoot it. Has a lot better head on his shoulders than Doby so I like AG more than him. Basically Berry is the only one I'd trade him for. He's not a force yet but I see where the staff projects him to be a good player in 3 years.

6"6 and starting to get some looks for D1. Floresca also had 14-10 that game. To answer NH's question about bigs who were better last year, off the top of my head: Berry, Martin from Central, Doby from CBC, Marquette had a good one who is playing baseball at Harvard, Floresca is about even with AG, and the big from Vianney has a similar build to AG and went to Central Missouri. However, in the long run I'll take AG over Martin and Vianney's center because of his ability to shoot it. Has a lot better head on his shoulders than Doby so I like AG more than him. Basically Berry is the only one I'd trade him for. He's not a force yet but I see where the staff projects him to be a good player in 3 years.

Floresca is not even with Gillmann. Floresca is more raw with less upside than Gillmann. They are not comparable prospects.

O'Brien from Vianney had a much better senior year. He improved a lot. But once again he is nowhere near a solid D-1 prospect and is not comparable to Gillmann.

Perhaps Martin could be a better comparison, but he is only about 6'7" and projects as an undersized big. Hard to translate his high school play to college given that.

And Doby is more of a 4/3 than a true back to the basket big man.