Recruiting - 2016

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's an article on Jayson Tatum.

Good news: He wants to place close to home

Bad news: The article only talks about Mizzou, presumably because it was written by a Mizzou beat writer

He also has a clear idea of what he wants in a school.

“I’m looking for a great coach, someone who has (my) best interests at heart and someone who I can build a relationship with,” Jayson said. “Location also has a lot to do with it. I’m a hometown guy. I’d like my parents to come to most of my games. And I’d look at where I feel most comfortable, where I could be on the floor to help the team win the most games.”

If Jayson’s riff about the importance of location sounds like good news for Missouri and Kansas, that’s because it is.

http://www.kansascity.com/2013/07/26/4368740/mu-makes-strong-play-for-jayson.html

Also, here's a recent interview with Tatum. He mentions SLU twice, yet the interviewer kept asking about the High Major programs. Damnit.

I asked that interviewer on Twitter why he didn't mention the billikens and he never responded. Stuff always irks me.

I am impressed that Tatum is better speaking on camera than the interviewer. That isn't saying much because the interviewer is terrible (lots of umms, uhhhs, kindas, and ya knows), but Tatum is very well spoken for a freshman/sophomore in high school.

• 3 weeks later...

Article on Tatum from today:

http://ny2lasports.com/article_one.aspx?articleid=1540

Money quote:

Tatum entered the spring with a good list of offers from Division I colleges already, but has added a few more significant ones since the last update, receiving scholarships from hometown university Saint Louis, and gaining Michigan State, Ohio State and North Carolina. He shared a brief insight about his thoughts on those schools...

SLU: “I grew up watching SLU most of the time ‘cause my dad attended there and he played at Saint Louis University.”

Serious question:

Should we hire Hughes to increase our chances of getting Tatum?

Not like he needs the money but I bet he would love to help Tutor a future NBA prospect.

I know it sounds somewhat ridiculous. But still less ridiculous that a few current topics on this thread. Haha.

Serious question:

Should we hire Hughes to increase our chances of getting Tatum?

Not like he needs the money but I bet he would love to help Tutor a future NBA prospect.

I know it sounds somewhat ridiculous. But still less ridiculous that a few current topics on this thread. Haha.

hire hughes to do what? unless he is a coach, he cannot assist recruiting him. i guess one could argue a previous relationship situation, however, if the billikens are banking on that, he doesnt have to be hired he can assist all he wants if the previous family relationship is ok. i suspect it will be. the question is will larry hughes want to help?

imo, the move to assist landing tatum was to hire his father as the assistant coach. i believe it was a legit hire as well as justin has shown his coaching skills as a very good area high school coach that had previous aau connections and knows the up and coming area kids well.

obviously we have moved on from that with the very good hire of calbert chaney tho. i have no problem with that as well. i think chaney brings a lot of potential to the table as an assistant coach. he is still very famous throughout indiana.

at this point if tatum is coming he is coming because of what the true landscape is and there isnt much that can be done at this point to improve it. i say we have a chance, however, you can bet as he gets older and maintains his high ranking, the big boys will bring out the big negative recruiting guns. our hope at that point is that 1. justin was mad at romar and not slu and 2. those around him and hughes including larry hughes, still want to assist slu. we shall see.

hire hughes to do what? unless he is a coach, he cannot assist recruiting him. i guess one could argue a previous relationship situation, however, if the billikens are banking on that, he doesnt have to be hired he can assist all he wants if the previous family relationship is ok. i suspect it will be. the question is will larry hughes want to help?

imo, the move to assist landing tatum was to hire his father as the assistant coach. i believe it was a legit hire as well as justin has shown his coaching skills as a very good area high school coach that had previous aau connections and knows the up and coming area kids well.

obviously we have moved on from that with the very good hire of calbert chaney tho. i have no problem with that as well. i think chaney brings a lot of potential to the table as an assistant coach. he is still very famous throughout indiana.

at this point if tatum is coming he is coming because of what the true landscape is and there isnt much that can be done at this point to improve it. i say we have a chance, however, you can bet as he gets older and maintains his high ranking, the big boys will bring out the big negative recruiting guns. our hope at that point is that 1. justin was mad at romar and not slu and 2. those around him and hughes including larry hughes, still want to assist slu. we shall see.

FWIW Hughes has made several comments on Twitter saying Tatum should go to SLU.