Recruiting - 2016

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tatum can announce wherever he wants to. I would think if he was coming to SLU he would do it here but who knows. Maybe it is better for his brand to do it elsewhere.

Tatum will certainly not get any backlash in STL for picking Duke. The only place he would get that is here.

People you are getting way too anxious over trying to psych out the meaning of the smallest piece of possible evidence you can find about this decision. Just let the kid make up his mind on his own. It will be what it will be, none of this means he is not coming to SLU for sure. Tatum could announce he is going anywhere he wants to go to from the South Pole and it would not make any difference, it is his decision where to go and when and where to announce it.

I don't understand how it would make a significant difference if he announced outside of STL versus in STL, he's gonna announce wherever he damn well pleases because he's Jayson friggin Tatum. I would think that announcing a SLU commitment on national TV would be great for SLU and would also help his brand. I think he'll make a big TV announcement regardless of whether it's slu or Duke, though I'm personally not getting my hopes up....

Making an announcement in the fall with school in session would make more sense to announce in STL (i.e. Chaminade) - regardless of whether he was staying or not.

I'd feel better if he were announcing in STL, but it's not the red flag it would be during the school year.

i have been really confident about SLU for years now... Ive even made some "casual bets" among friends regarding the decision. now, terrorist has my family hostage and i need to make a guess or they die..... duke

well folks, I have avoided this thread like a plague, generally speaking. Now, 146 pages in, with 200,961 views (!!); I gotta come clean.

Personally, I have never once thought JT would be coming to SLU. Never. Still don't, and nothing in recent days changes any of that.

What is most striking about this topic is the sheer emotion, staying power, angst, and even dread and panic, being generated by the whims of a single teenager. As big Bill put it, just a bunch of sound and fury, signifying nothing. Frankly, it will be a healthy day for Billiken fans, to let all this go, once "the decision" is out there....

There, I said it. A lot of dudes on here need to brace themselves; and ps: I have no more "inside" info on this than anyone else; and like the mantra goes, "I hope I'm wrong." I'd be thrilled to be wrong on this one.

well folks, I have avoided this thread like a plague, generally speaking. Now, 146 pages in, with 200,961 views (!!); I gotta come clean.

Personally, I have never once thought JT would be coming to SLU. Never. Still don't, and nothing in recent days changes any of that.

What is most striking about this topic is the sheer emotion, staying power, angst, and even dread and panic, being generated by the whims of a single teenager. As big Bill put it, just a bunch of sound and fury, signifying nothing. Frankly, it will be a healthy day for Billiken fans, to let all this go, once "the decision" is out there....

There, I said it. A lot of dudes on here need to brace themselves; and ps: I have no more "inside" info on this than anyone else; and like the mantra goes, "I hope I'm wrong." I'd be thrilled to be wrong on this one.

You're fired

I think it will just be the final nail in the coffin of any hope that a REALLY good player would ever choose SLU (other than LARRY THE LEGEND). I really just hope that Tatum wants to be JAYSON THE SAINT.

Interesting that SLU has 2 offers out to point guards in the Class of 2016 but Justin Tatum told me that the only reason SLU wan't offering Barnes was because they said they felt good with their point guard situation.

Great! The doctor has graced us with his presence to deliver another lecture. Glad we have him to talk sense to Billiken nation. The idea that people on Billikens.com are spending so much energy talking about the number 1 recruit in the country possibly playing for SLU is just crazy. That's so strange. I mean, I'm sure fans of other programs don't care this much about recruiting. What is wrong with us?

Interesting that SLU has 2 offers out to point guards in the Class of 2016 but Justin Tatum told me that the only reason SLU wan't offering Barnes was because they said they felt good with their point guard situation.

Justin Tatum keeps pushing the idea of Barnes, but how important is it to Jayson?

Justin Tatum keeps pushing the idea of Barnes, but how important is it to Jayson?

Justin Tatum will certainly push for his player (Barnes) to go to a good school.

However, I will say that the idea of playing with Giles is a bigger deal to Jayson Tatum than most on here originally thought. So I wonder if the idea of playing with your best friend since 5th grade would help offset that?

Regarding Barnes, Justin Tatum isn't the only one questioning why SLU hasn't offered Barnes. I'm no expert, but I feel like the whole idea of offering Barnes to help get Tatum was leaked for a reason. It may not guarantee anything but I don't think it can hurt, and it's not like offering Barnes means we're guaranteed to have him for 4 years. He could go somewhere else for immediate playing time or he could develop into a solid player here.

Regarding Barnes, Justin Tatum isn't the only one questioning why SLU hasn't offered Barnes. I'm no expert, but I feel like the whole idea of offering Barnes to help get Tatum was leaked for a reason. It may not guarantee anything but I don't think it can hurt, and it's not like offering Barnes means we're guaranteed to have him for 4 years. He could go somewhere else for immediate playing time or he could develop into a solid player here.

Why does Barnes have to be offered now if Tatum is expected to make an announcement in a few weeks? What if we offer Barnes now, but Tatum goes ahead and signs with Duke. Then what? It would look bad if we would have to go ahead and take away the offer to Barnes.

If Tatum commits to us and he indicates that is very important to play with Barnes, then we absolutely make the offer. But until then, I just don't get the sense of urgency.