Recruiting - 2016

If you are not willing to go all in when recruiting a player like Jayson, you shouldn't waste your time going at it at 80%. That energy and those resources should be used elsewhere.

-are you saying something is missing in SLU's recruitment of FBJT?

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why does Barnes have to be offered now if Tatum is expected to make an announcement in a few weeks? What if we offer Barnes now, but Tatum goes ahead and signs with Duke. Then what? It would look bad if we would have to go ahead and take away the offer to Barnes.

If Tatum commits to us and he indicates that is very important to play with Barnes, then we absolutely make the offer. But until then, I just don't get the sense of urgency.

Why would we have to take away the offer? He's not a star, but he's a MVC level player so it's not like he'd be totally out of place.

Does Barnes have an offer? Have multiple people close to Jayson hinted that a Barnes offer would help SLU's standing?

It sounds to me like they are setting up the narrative that it will be SLU's fault if Jayson plays for Duke.

Has anyone stopped to consider that maybe Barnes doesn't want to be offered only as a package deal for Tatum (i.e. Barnes himself may find it insulting if people assume the only reason SLU offered was so that we could get Tatum). It may be more impactful if we offer Barnes after the Tatum decision, no matter what the decision will be.

Privately, we can assure Jayson and Justin that we are planning to offer Barnes no matter what and that we just don't like the optics of his best friend only being offered because of Jayson's decision, which is what a lot of MBMs will assume occurred if we offer right now.

It sounds to me like they are setting up the narrative that it will be SLU's fault if Jayson plays for Duke.

1) still like our chances

2) Justin Tatum had originally been critical of SLU's recruitment. It seemed to have worked.

3) is he going back to the well and trying the same trick to score Barnes an offer?

Bingo. The haters are basically laying the groundwork that somehow the coaches screwed this up. If he does commit here, they'll argue that it was in spite of the coaching staff.

Bingo. The haters are basically laying the groundwork that somehow the coaches screwed this up. If he does commit here, they'll argue that it was in spite of the coaching staff.

People have been saying to offer Barnes for months. This isn't something new being brought up as the decision draws near.

Like I said in a post a few weeks ago, there are plenty of decent reasons to offer Barnes even if Jayson doesn't come here. The kid really isn't a reach for the program.

I am not a hater, but I do think one could easily make the argument that if Jayson commits to SLU that he was going to commit to SLU regardless of the coaching staff and current state of the program. We have no chance of beating out programs like Duke, Kentucky, and UNC for recruits, so this is obviously a very unique situation. If he commits to Duke, I am not going to crush the coaching staff, but I also have no idea whether they have done everything they could to sell Jayson on staying home and only he and his family would really know that. If I was in Jayson's shoes, I would have been like the other Chaminade stars and eliminated SLU early.

Like I said in a post a few weeks ago, there are plenty of decent reasons to offer Barnes even if Jayson doesn't come here. The kid really isn't a reach for the program.

While I do think one could consider Barnes a bit of a reach (I personally do), looking at the caliber of recruit the current staff has been signing and the level of talent on the roster, I do not think you could make the counter argument and that is without considering the other things (local kid/St. Louis Eagles/Jayson Tatum's best friend).

Has anyone stopped to consider that maybe Barnes doesn't want to be offered only as a package deal for Tatum (i.e. Barnes himself may find it insulting if people assume the only reason SLU offered was so that we could get Tatum). It may be more impactful if we offer Barnes after the Tatum decision, no matter what the decision will be.

Privately, we can assure Jayson and Justin that we are planning to offer Barnes no matter what and that we just don't like the optics of his best friend only being offered because of Jayson's decision, which is what a lot of MBMs will assume occurred if we offer right now.

Exactly, I don't see any reason to make a public offer to Barnes right now. If Tatum commits to SLU and he really wants to play with Barnes, the kid will get an offer.

Interesting that SLU has 2 offers out to point guards in the Class of 2016 but Justin Tatum told me that the only reason SLU wan't offering Barnes was because they said they felt good with their point guard situation.

The Nai Carlisle offer is over a year old, predating the Jermaine Bishop commitment by many months. That ship has sailed. Carlisle decommited from San Jose State a few months ago, which is why he popped back up in VC's database.

Dashawn McDowell is a top 150 scoring guard who decommitted from Tulsa after the dead period started in April. We're about 2 1/2 months into a quiet period so the opportunities for coaching staffs to evaluate him on the AAU circuit have been limited. His offers are basically regional schools who saw him play during the season. SMU, his best offer, has an NCAA investigation looming over their program.

Seems like an opportunistic offer by the staff to me. If a top 150 scoring guard is flying under the radar, you have to move quickly. Could be a plan B if Tatum goes to Duke. Could be a running mate for Tatum. Isn't recruiting wonderful?

The Nai Carlisle offer is over a year old, predating the Jermaine Bishop commitment by many months. That ship has sailed. Carlisle decommited from San Jose State a few months ago, which is why he popped back up in VC's database.

Dashawn McDowell is a top 150 combo guard who decommitted from Tulsa after the dead period started in April. We're about 2 1/2 months into a quiet period so the opportunities for coaching staffs to evaluate him on the AAU circuit have been limited. His offers are basically regional schools who saw him play during the season. SMU, his best offer, has an NCAA investigation looming over their program.

Seems like an opportunistic offer by the staff to me. If a top 150 scoring guard is flying under the radar, you have to move quickly. Could be a plan B if Tatum goes to Duke. Could be a running mate for Tatum. Isn't recruiting wonderful?

I wouldn't say he is flying under the radar when he has offers from Cal and USC.