Recruiting - 2016

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Which assistant coach do you want to fire?

p.s. hiring his dad didn't exactly get Tatum to transfer from Chaminade to CBC did it.

He did not want to sit out a year, although that may not be the only reason.

Danny Brown is the new DOBO. No new grad Assts have been named as of yet.

I'M NOT GETTING RID OF D-NICE FOR ANYONE. LEBRON'S KID COULD WANT TO COME HERE AND BRON BRON HIMSELF COULD WANT THE DOBO JOB. AND THEY COULD BOTH PISS UP A ROPE.

WHO HAS DANNY BROWN SCOOTER!?!?

Don't we have any 100k a year secretary jobs or are those only available at Duke?

With KU offering his currently marginal high school teammate, I am curious to see how Kentucky, Duke, and others respond. Although I am assuming we will not be privy to a lot of what the Tatum family is offered by these programs.

There have been a couple of reports about a potential package (I realize these packages seldom come to fruition) including Jayson and top recruits Harry Giles and Dennis Smith Jr from North Carolina. If that were to happen, Duke and UNC would appear to be the most likely beneficiary of their services.

I may be naïve, but I don't think the Fed Ex Special Deliveries and the John Deere giveaways are the exception to the rules these days. The elite programs don't want to risk a serious hit given all the money involved w/ TV and NCAA appearance monies over an under the table 5 figure cash payout. Not saying there aren't other avenues to influence these kids, eg coeds, jobs for mom or dad, nice dorms, great training tables, etc, but the days of the straight cash transaction or free loaners from the local alumni dealer have pretty much gone the way of short shorts. Most of the really elite players know they're going to be getting the big bucks after one year, so they don't really need it. Besides their handlers probably know all the legal loophole ways to get them cha ching for pizzas, tacos, and tats. Not saying it doesn't happen, but I bet it's rare given all the social media avenues available to an 18 year old kid that can't keep from snapping selfies of himself driving his brand new luxury SUV around town.

I may be naïve, but I don't think the Fed Ex Special Deliveries and the John Deere giveaways are the exception to the rules these days. The elite programs don't want to risk a serious hit given all the money involved w/ TV and NCAA appearance monies over an under the table 5 figure cash payout. Not saying there aren't other avenues to influence these kids, eg coeds, jobs for mom or dad, nice dorms, great training tables, etc, but the days of the straight cash transaction or free loaners from the local alumni dealer have pretty much gone the way of short shorts. Most of the really elite players know they're going to be getting the big bucks after one year, so they don't really need it. Besides their handlers probably know all the legal loophole ways to get them cha ching for pizzas, tacos, and tats. Not saying it doesn't happen, but I bet it's rare given all the social media avenues available to an 18 year old kid that can't keep from snapping selfies of himself driving his brand new luxury SUV around town.

you have never been more wrong

Yeah, it definitely goes on, but it's nowhere near as common as some people seem to think (e.g., whenever Calipari pulls a top recruit). Often it's the kid's handlers - parents, guardians, coaches, "family friends" - who first make it clear the kid is taking offers, rather than a program making the first move (although that happens, too). But Tatum is a good kid - and I think there's a lot of truth to the belief that, generally, if programs feel they don't need to expose themselves to unnecessary risk, they won't. And, in Tatum's case, they aren't, at least not yet.

Like I said, he's a good kid - and if we land him, we'll be getting a kid with a lot of integrity, and a good head on his shoulders (beyond being an outstanding basketball player).

(Full disclosure: I have no idea how things work in college football these days. Though if you're looking for a good book on the subject - at least as it existed a decade or so ago - I really enjoyed Illegal Procedure by Josh Luchs.)

And, in Tatum's case, they aren't, at least not yet.

Like I said, he's a good kid - and if we land him, we'll be getting a kid with a lot of integrity, and a good head on his shoulders (beyond being an outstanding basketball player).

Are you connected to Jayson or his family?

Are you connected to Jayson or his family?

Nope, only to Duke.

Edit: Just to clarify my previous comments: word tends to get around quickly when shady things are afoot in a recruitment. Duke is staying on top of this kid (trying to make that Tatum/Giles/Smith package actually happen), and I haven't heard anything that would raise eyebrows. Have heard great things about him personally, though.

That article makes me feel like we should scrap major college athletics all together...depressing

Or start our own clandestine group from members of this board.

I know a guy who does this for Mizzou in the metro east. Pretty much just for football. Because of the smaller numbers of players I think it is a slightly different animal for college basketball, I'm sure it exists though.

I know a guy who does this for Mizzou in the metro east. Pretty much just for football. He acts just like the guy in the article, never comes out and says it but has tons of connections in the program, runs a cash business primarily, but a couple tiers below being able to give major legit dollars to the program. Because of the smaller numbers of players I think it is a slightly different animal for college basketball, I'm sure it exists though.

I know a guy who does this for Mizzou in the metro east. Pretty much just for football. Because of the smaller numbers of players I think it is a slightly different animal for college basketball, I'm sure it exists though.

Rat him out. It's been a few weeks since SPUMAC had a scandal. They are long overdue.

Rat him out. It's been a few weeks since SPUMAC had a scandal. They are long overdue.

Coming up on a big holiday weekend. Surely one of Mizzou's athletes will get arrested. Just a matter of time.

• 2 weeks later...