Recruiting - 2016

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Reread it. He said every school that is recruiting him called him

What I said was:

If SLU didn't call him — he didn't mention SLU — on that first day, it's a doggone shame.

My statement doesn't become a negative criticism (i.e., "a doggone shame") unless the condition of the "if" is met. I wasn't under the notion that SLU didn't call; rather, I was lamenting that he didn't mention SLU, mindful of Justin Tatum's calling SLU (and Mizzou, whom Jayson did mention) out a couple of months ago.

Crews called. Not until the actual day. I think the midnight thing is way overplayed.

How desperate is Crean? He's never mentioned in the schools Tatum says he is considering and he calls him at the stroke of midnight? Didn't he have a more plausible recruit to call then?

How desperate is Crean? He's never mentioned in the schools Tatum says he is considering and he calls him at the stroke of midnight? Didn't he have a more plausible recruit to call then?

And I'm sure he had plenty of bad things to say about every other school on that call, too.

Judging solely from that Blog, I would put SLU somewhere between 5th and 8th place. He sounds just like any other 5 star SLU would put maximum effort in recruiting.... Mention us on his list of offers but talk about the "bright lights" schools when pressed for material. And he was sure to dispel any rumors that he was gonna stay in the Midwest...ugh :/

I know it doesn't mean anything and I am a card-carrying MBM, but this blog material just strikes me as SLU falling behind

Judging solely from that Blog, I would put SLU somewhere between 5th and 8th place. He sounds just like any other 5 star SLU would put maximum effort in recruiting.... Mention us on his list of offers but talk about the "bright lights" schools when pressed for material. And he was sure to dispel any rumors that he was gonna stay in the Midwest...ugh :/

I know it doesn't mean anything and I am a card-carrying MBM, but this blog material just strikes me as SLU falling behind

You are definitely over reacting. He was just on campus for an unofficial visit and reportedly had a great visit.

The blog doesn't really yield much, ie his faves. Sure sounds as though Self is putting on the full court press. No mention of Duke, UNC, or, surprisingly, Calapari. But was disappointed that he didn't mention his unofficial to SLU. As with all 4-5 stars, I think peer pressure and elite status of schools plays a big part in their final decisions. And SLU just doesn't carry the elite status tag. Here's hoping he signs w/ us, but I'm not holding my breath.

What I said was:

My statement doesn't become a negative criticism (i.e., "a doggone shame") unless the condition of the "if" is met. I wasn't under the notion that SLU didn't call; rather, I was lamenting that he didn't mention SLU, mindful of Justin Tatum's calling SLU (and Mizzou, whom Jayson did mention) out a couple of months ago.

But he made it clear that the schools recruiting him all called. That's the point.

I think we are either going to end up in Tatum's top 2-3 schools or not in the running at all. We have a pretty unique recruiting pitch. If he buys it, we have a great shot. If he doesn't, we have no shot against teams like Kansas and Kentucky.

So far, things look overwhelmingly positive.

I think we are either going to end up in Tatum's top 2-3 schools or not in the running at all. We have a pretty unique recruiting pitch. If he buys it, we have a great shot. If he doesn't, we have no shot against teams like Kansas and Kentucky.

I also think we'll either be in his top 2-3 schools or we won't be. Spot on analysis, NH!

Agreed. It basically comes down to the hometown hero angle vs. the bright lights and deep pockets of the traditional powers. Assuming we keep pushing, I think we'll remain a serious contender; the hometown thing seems to hold a lot of sway with this kid and (importantly) his parents, and that's something the blue chips can't offer.

But a lot can (and will) happen between then and now. If nothing else, though, it's fun to be in the race.

No way he goes to mizzou imo. They just hired a totally unproven guy and no-one knows where the program is going.

He may be "unproven" at this level, but his track record for elite talent (17-18 year olds) is something to keep an eye out for.

He may be "unproven" at this level, but his track record for elite talent (17-18 year olds) is something to keep an eye out for.

Are you referring to Quin? He had an elite talent for fondling 17-18 year olds.

Agreed. It basically comes down to the hometown hero angle vs. the bright lights and deep pockets of the traditional powers. Assuming we keep pushing, I think we'll remain a serious contender; the hometown thing seems to hold a lot of sway with this kid and (importantly) his parents, and that's something the blue chips can't offer.

But a lot can (and will) happen between then and now. If nothing else, though, it's fun to be in the race.

Hire his dad. Now, before Calipari or Self does it. Dir of BB Ops or as an AC.

Just to throw something else out there: a source close to UF (who has been reliable in the past) seems pretty convinced Tatum is staying in the Midwest. I didn't get that same impression out of the Duke camp, but there it is. Also, the fact that Tatum is explicitly denying rumors that location is going to play heavily in his decision makes me think location is going to play heavily in his decision.

Hire his dad. Now, before Calipari or Self does it. Dir of BB Ops or as an AC.

Which assistant coach do you want to fire?

p.s. hiring his dad didn't exactly get Tatum to transfer from Chaminade to CBC did it.

Which assistant coach do you want to fire?

p.s. hiring his dad didn't exactly get Tatum to transfer from Chaminade to CBC did it.

Right, would hiring Justin even help land Jayson? It seems like mom is the one calling the shots and mom and Justin do not appear to have any sort of relationship. I would be more concerned with building a relationship with mom.