Recruiting - 2014

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would be happy if we landed Q or Ike with one of the remaining scholarships. Get one of those and I still thik you have a spot for Berry.

Except time-wise, Berry will probably be first to decide.

Except time-wise, Berry will probably be first to decide.

You are correct. I just trying to say landing Berry doesn't mean there isn't another spot for a big or vice versa. That said, I think if we get a verbal from Q or Ike we quit recruiting the other of those two.

It's an exciting time to watch this recruiting process, the list Pistol has put together is by far the most impressive in my 15 years at SLU, even better potential than the great Mitchell/Conklin class (which featured, unfortunately, some washouts).

To that point I was wondering back when we were lucky enough to get a decent player and getting few great players (read pre RM). Did these list reflect our relative unattractiveness mean the list had less attractive candidates on it? what i'm getting at is why not go after only the best no matter how unlikely. how can we get a 5 if we don't offer? I see how it plays out and I think I know how and why but would like to have a knowledgeable type to spell it out. Seems like mating, the most desirable males don't bother with the least desirable.

It's hard to say what these lists would have looked like even 5 years ago. There's just so much more information available now.

I've been lucky enough to glimpse the inside of it for a while. I'd imagine that if we knew absolutely everything the staff knew, the interest (i.e. contacted) list would be a decent amount longer than it is. The offer list would be broken into tiers in some way.

There's no doubt SLU has recruited a lot of 4- and 5-star guys in the past and signed a lot of talented players, usually the next tier or two down. But the staff is recruiting at another level right now, top to bottom. If we had a comprehensive list from 5 years ago, 10 years ago, 15 years ago, I have little doubt it would not be as impressive as our list right now. There would be a lot more guys that look like lower level D-I back-up plans.

It's hard to say what these lists would have looked like even 5 years ago. There's just so much more information available now.

I've been lucky enough to glimpse the inside of it for a while. I'd imagine that if we knew absolutely everything the staff knew, the interest (i.e. contacted) list would be a decent amount longer than it is. The offer list would be broken into tiers in some way.

There's no doubt SLU has recruited a lot of 4- and 5-star guys in the past and signed a lot of talented players, usually the next tier or two down. But the staff is recruiting at another level right now, top to bottom. If we had a comprehensive list from 5 years ago, 10 years ago, 15 years ago, I have little doubt it would not be as impressive as our list right now. There would be a lot more guys that look like lower level D-I back-up plans.

totally agree that they are recruiting at a different level

The staff is recruiting for a RM inspired system that requires 9 contibutors compare that to the Grawer system not to pick on that coach but just to put an historical perspective on things; we were impressed when we went from the scoring combo of Douglas Gray to the triad of Bonner Gray Douglas. Our competitors as well usually had two or three outstanding players. Now we need everyone to perform at a very high level for 15 to 30 minutes depending on stamina and of course point guard generals who run the team and act as shut down defenders not withstanding. On the court basketball is computerized, digitized just like recruiting information and facebook and twitter

This staff is recruiting off the fact that we have been a very good team the last 2 years. Previous staff's didn't take advantage of the limited success a few teams had. Our reputation is good and Crews is taking advantage of it. Keep the ball rolling.

This staff is recruiting off the fact that we have been a very good team the last 2 years. Previous staff's didn't take advantage of the limited success a few teams had. Our reputation is good and Crews is taking advantage of it. Keep the ball rolling.

+1

We're in unchartered territory at the moment. While we've had some success in the past, we've also never had it along with a new arena and practice facility, what appears like additional support from the school, and/or the potential for the Big East.

I'm not sure about this. The shoes were at a lunch with coach a little over a week ago and he indicated they felt they needed a couple real tall guys (i.e. centers) and a couple pgs. This obviously fits in well with what we have in hand with the two PFs (RA and TL) and the 2 SGs (MC and AY).

With 6 to give, I think we may end up with something like this:

1 PG

1 PG-SG (Roby)

1 SG-SF

1 SF-PF

2 Centers (AG being one)

Obviously things may not work exactly as you want and sometimes you just take the best available but I suspect the staff would be pretty happy if we got this kind of a mix.

-anything else you can share?

Having too many bigs is a great problem to have. Someone close to Ike's recruitment recently told me the staff is looking at his academic situation. Could be because many of the foreign kids don't get cleared by the NCAA and are forced to go JUCO or prep. I believe same guy from Philadelphia that is tied in with RA is the same guy tied in with Ike. RA went prep because NCAA didn't clear him until middle of August 2012.

I am confused - does not Ike go to a high school in StL? If so, then his previous academic record does not matter. If the current high school has accepted all his credits or says he met all the requirements to graduate then I think it is a moot point assuming the current high school follows the NCAA requirements so I guess if not then that might be a problem. I also guess his ACT scores might not be high enough but this or the credit thing has nothing to do with him being a foreign student because I do not think he would be classified as one.

I am confused - does not Ike go to a high school in StL? If so, then his previous academic record does not matter. If the current high school has accepted all his credits or says he met all the requirements to graduate then I think it is a moot point assuming the current high school follows the NCAA requirements so I guess if not then that might be a problem. I also guess his ACT scores might not be high enough but this or the credit thing has nothing to do with him being a foreign student because I do not think he would be classified as one.

He does go to high school in STL. However, I'm not certain he started high school in the United States.

Whatever - sign him up.

LET'S GO BILLS.

Do you guys think this means we are no longer recruiting Jolly?

Hell no. Crews needs to land Jolly to prove he can recruit though

Ike does go to school in St. Louis; However recruiting and signing a kid is one thing; SLU can accept any recruit academically, NCAA clearinghouse however does its own look at the recruits academic standing. There is a set number of core classes that have to be completed within 4 years of high school, then they factor gpa to determine minimum score recruit has to get on SAT or ACT. If a recruit started school overseas, they have to look at those classes to see if it meets the criteria set by NCAA. WIth many of the African kids this can take as long as 6-8 months to get cleared or denied by the NCAA. This is the reason prep is so important for many kids, they can use extra year to meet academic requirements of NCAA.

In the case of RA, according to his AAU coach he was being recruited by (BCS) Auburn, Marquette, Florida, Oklahoma and Texas. As well as Bona, LaSalle, UMass, Drexel, Fordham and a host of other programs. NCAA began looking at his paperwork in January of 2012, and didn't clear him until mid August 2012, forcing him to go the prep route because most of the schools had filled the scholarships that had previously been available.

He does go to high school in STL. However, I'm not certain he started high school in the United States.

Whatever - sign him up.

LET'S GO BILLS.

I can tell you with complete certainty that where/when he started high school is a non issue as long as the current high school grants/accepts the credits from the other school as it relates to graduating. The only issue is if the credits from the other school do not meet the NCAA minimum requirements - in other words a school could say he took a biology class and the accepting school could take them at their words but if the course does not have a sufficient number of lab experiences the NCAA could say no dice and of course the issue of the ACT score still has to be entered into the equation. All that being said, I am sure the staff wants to do their due diligence on him both athletically and academically before offering.

I can tell you with complete certainty that where/when he started high school is a non issue as long as the current high school grants/accepts the credits from the other school as it relates to graduating. The only issue is if the credits from the other school do not meet the NCAA minimum requirements - in other words a school could say he took a biology class and the accepting school could take them at their words but if the course does not have a sufficient number of lab experiences the NCAA could say no dice and of course the issue of the ACT score still has to be entered into the equation. All that being said, I am sure the staff wants to do their due diligence on him both athletically and academically before offering.

As you call it "the only issue" is really the issue that SLU and any other D1 schools care about: will he be ruled eligible to play by the NCAA because some of his highschool credits earned in a foreign highschool don't count for their minimum requirements?

Schools aren't worried about whether he'll graduate highschool, they are worried about his NCAA eligibility.

According to VerbalCommits, we have been in contact with Dmitri Thompson, a 3-star guard from Florida.

They also mentioned Justin Diecker signed with Kennesaw State - seems like we didn't have much interest.

Updated. 4 spots remain (1 2013, 3 2014) after the Roby and Gillmann commitments. As always, updates on all names are appreciated.

2014 Offer List:

Ore Arogundade: St. Viator, Arlington Heights, IL - SG: 6-3, 180. Offers: SLU, Creighton, SIUC, Murray State, Drake, Santa Clara, Loyola-Chicago, San Jose State, Wright State, Toledo, Northern Illinois, San Francisco, Utah State. Interest: DePaul, Xavier, Temple, LaSalle, Texas Tech, Wichita State, Missouri State, Oregon State. Latest (6/15): Arogundade vistied Drake and SLU. Previous: Arogundade said Murray State, St. Louis, Santa Clara, and Drake are strong right now. Texas Tech, Xavier, Temple and LaSalle are also looking. Twitter: @OreAro_23

Darius Austin: Cahokia HS, Cahokia, IL - SF: 6-6, 200. Offers: SLU, DePaul, Indiana State, SIUE, UMKC. Interest: Xavier, Indiana, Illinois, Mizzou, Michigan, Michigan State, Cincinnati, Iowa, Oregon State, Oklahoma State, Tennessee, Murray State. Latest (7/5): Austin is working with a personal trainer to recover from an ankle injury that kept him sidelined in April and May and will be playing with the Illinois Wolves for the July evaluation period. DePaul seems to be his frontrunner of those that have offered and Oregon State is recruiting the hardest from the interest list. He wants to decide before his senior year starts. Previous: Austin visited Murray State at the end of June. According to IL Prep Bullseye, Austin is their pick for a mid-late summer high-major break-out recruit. He tore it up at the DePaul Team Camp and may have been the best player in the thing. Twitter: @DariusAustin23

Larry Austin, Jr.: Lanphier, Springfield, IL - PG: 6-1, 165. Offers: SLU, Mizzou, Illinois, DePaul, Memphis, Kansas State, Oklahoma State, Wake Forest, Iowa, Florida State, Mississippi State, Bradley, SMU, Wisconsin-Milwaukee. Interest: Butler, Ohio State, Tennessee, Stanford, West Virginia, Harvard. Latest (6/5): Austin says that out of all the schools on his offer list, Oklahoma State is probably the one recruiting him the hardest. Twitter: @_LarryAustin2_

Jordan Barnett: CBC, St. Louis, MO - SF: 6-7, 185. Offers: SLU, Mizzou, Butler, Purdue, Florida, Michigan State, Kansas State, Oklahoma State, Iowa, Iowa State, Stanford, Harvard. Interest: UNC, SIUC. Latest (5/22): Barnett mentioned that UNC had shown interest and been in contact several times. On 5/22, UNC got a commitment from 5-star SF Theo Pinson, which may lead them to back off Barnett. Previous: SLU and St. Louis Eagles alum Larry Hughes spoke to Barnett's Eagles team after a loss in Dallas on 5/16. Twitter: @JBounce33

J.P. Macura: Lakeville North, Lakeville, MN - SG: 6-5, 185. Offers: SLU, Dayton, Butler, Xavier, Creighton, Boston College, Iowa State, Kansas State, Florida State, Drake, North Dakota, North Dakota State, Northern Colorado, Vermont, South Dakota, South Dakota State, New Mexico State, Utah State, Toledo, Wyoming, Wisconsin-Milwaukee, Nebraska-Omaha. Interest: Indiana, Wisconsin, Purdue, Iowa, Minnesota, NC State, Providence, Miami, Penn State. Latest (7/5): Macura was shocked by Brad Stevens' decision to leave Butler, which was one of his leaders. Since then, he has been contacted by Minnesota, Miami, Purdue, and Penn State. Previous: Macura made an official visit to Butler. Showing an elite three-point shooting ability, Macura has had a couple huge AAU tournaments (including the recent adidas VIP Exclusive Run) and is hitting the radar of Big Ten, Big 12, and ACC schools. He is looking for a school with a "family atmosphere." He is up to #89 in Scout's 2014 rankings. Twitter: @jpmacura

Logan McLane: Greenfield School, Wilson, NC - PF: 6-8, 210. Offers: SLU, Seton Hall, Miami-Ohio, UNC-Asheville, UNC-Greensboro, Buffalo, Winthrop, Mercer, High Point. Latest (6/19): McLane is currently recovering from a torn ACL, which is why higher-level schools have not offered, but he aims to be ready for an AAU event in July. He just visited Miami-Ohio. Previous: McLane gives some reasons why he likes his current list of offers. Twitter: @LMcLane4

Sean O’Mara: Benet Academy, Lisle, IL - C: 6-9, 240. Offers: SLU, Illinois, DePaul, Marquette, Xavier, Dayton, LaSalle, Boston College, Virginia, Iowa State, Georgia Tech, SIUC, SIUE, Loyola-Chicago, UIC, Oakland, Lehigh, Columbia, Ball State, Eastern Michigan. Interest: Michigan, Notre Dame, Purdue, Iowa, Wisconsin, Northwestern. Latest (5/21): Considered one of the best centers in the Midwest, O'Mara is in the belly of the Big Ten and has their attention. He was dominant in an AAU Tournament in April. Offers are starting to cascade in. Twitter: @S3AN_54

Quadree Smith: Paul VI, Fairfax, VA - PF: 6-7, 290. Offers: SLU, St. Joe's, George Mason Nebraska, Tennessee, Tulsa, Kent State, Florida Gulf Coast, Florida International, Drexel, Siena, Fairfield, Rider, Radford, Quinnipiac, UNC-Greensboro, Kennesaw State. Interest: Xavier, Virginia, Albany. Latest (7/2): Smith picked up offers from SLU and Florida Gulf Coast. No, the "290" is not a typo. He's a man mountain of Bill Brasky proportions. He was not allowed to play pee wee football because of his size so he picked up hoops instead. He transferred into Paul VI at over 300 lbs, but the school has a good strength and conditioning coach working with him. He's billed as a relentless worker. He averaged 9 PPG and 13 RPG his junior season and was a key factor in a double overtime win over Oak Hill (13 and 19, with 2 free throws to seal it). Twitter: @Dont_Hate_Q

Delshon Strickland: Holy Angels, Minneapolis, MN - SG: 6-4, 180. Offers: SLU, Richmond, Rhode Island, Virginia Tech, Missouri State, Drake, Toledo, Lehigh, Vermont, North Dakota, Northern Colorado, Hampton. Interest: Butler, Gonzaga, Texas, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa, Iowa State, Northwestern, Florida State, Washington State, Northern Iowa, Utah State. Latest (6/28): Strickland has picked up a SLU offer, one week after receiving one from Missouri State and two weeks after Virginia Tech. Twitter: Delshon_11

Andre Walker: Bullis School, Clarksville, MD - C: 6-10, 210. Offers: SLU, VCU, Xavier, DePaul, Cincinnati, Temple, UMass, George Mason, SMU, Fairfield, Delaware. Interest: Georgetown, Indiana, Kansas, NC State, Maryland, Miami. Latest (6/6): Walker now has offers from VCU and DePaul. Previous: This guy is hard to Google. Xavier recently had a player by the same name, and there's another HS recruit with the same name. He wears rec specs. Twitter: @Andre_Walker21

Hunter Ware: North Cobb Christian, Kennesaw, GA - PG: 6-2, 165. Offers: SLU, Murray State, Cornell, Brown, Tennessee Tech, Jacksonville, Gardner-Webb, Appalachian State, Stetson, Radford, Middle Tennessee, Georgia Southern. Interest: Mizzou, Butler, Charleston, Charlotte, UAB, Nevada, Buffalo, Charleston Southern. Latest (6/19): Interesting offer list. I guess we're in early on a guy we think has more potential than shows with his current list, and I'm guessing he's also a pretty solid student with two Ivy Leage offers. He's considered one of the fastest-rising players in the state of Georgia's class of 2014. On The Radar Hoops says: "Hunter showcases a great change of speed and high basketball IQ, he constantly gets a piece of the paint and pushes the tempo off the rebound. He fills the middle and goes until he is stopped either scoring or dishing off the ball for the easy basket for his teammates." But this is my favorite profile of him. Twitter: @Hunter_Ware1

Thomas Welsh: Loyola, Los Angeles, CA - C: 7-0, 245. Offers: SLU, UCLA, Gonzaga, California, USC, Arizona State, Rice, Santa Clara, San Francisco, Pacific, Portland. Interest: Arizona, Colorado, Wake Forest, Brown, UC-Santa Barbara. Latest (7/5): Welsh picked up a UCLA offer from Steve Alford. Previous: SLU is said to be one of Welsh's early offers, which is interesting, given that he's a Southern California kid with otherwise exclusively West Coast offers. Welsh has spoken with Andy Enfield at USC quite a bit. He just recently visited Cal. He played very well at the recent Pangos All-American Camp and is now ranked #75 in Scout's 2014 rankings.

2014 Interest List:

Marcus Bartley: MacArthur, Decatur, IL - PG: 6-2, 175. Offers: Oklahoma State, SIUC, Bradley, Northwestern, Illinois State, Eastern Illinois, North Dakota State, South Dakota State, Tennessee-Martin, Southeastern Louisiana, William & Mary. Interest: SLU, Mizzou, Iowa, Georgetown, Harvard, Tennessee. Latest (5/21): Northwestern is recruiting him very hard. Oklahoma State is the biggest program to offer so far but he may be on the cusp of a few more. Twitter: @MB3_Dreamville

Brandon Cheeks: Meadowbrook, Richmond, VA - SG: 6-1, 190. Offers: None. Interest: SLU, George Mason, Delaware, Radford. Latest (7/2): Seems to be considered a lower-tier D-I recruit at this point.

Josh Cunningham: Morgan Park, Chicago, IL - SF: 6-7, 195. Offers: Mizzou, Oklahoma, Iowa, DePaul, Nebraska, South Carolina, UMass, Bradley, Northern Illinois. Interest: SLU, Illinois, Michigan State, Minnesota, Illinois State, UIC. Latest (5/21): Cunningham opened some eyes at the recent Nike EYBL in Hampton, Virginia when he filled in for an injured 5-star player. He's said to be a gamer with explosive leaping ability and a nice 3-point stroke. Twitter: @JoshMCunningham

Mory Diane: Detroit Country Day, Franklin, MI - SG: 6-3, 170. Offers: Detroit, Kent State, Indiana State, Toledo, Northern Illinois, Eastern Michigan, Central Connecticut. Interest: SLU, Xavier, Butler, DePaul, Michigan State, Iowa, Iowa State, Texas Tech, Ohio, Bowling Green, Central Michigan, IPFW, Robert Morris, Buffalo. Latest (7/2): Diane hopes to have his list down to 5 by the end of July or possibly just before school starts in late August. He expects a few more offers to come in by then. Billed as a strong perimeter and mid-range scorer, solid defender, and natural shooting guard with PG skills if necessary. Twitter: MDiane_20

Jacob Hammond: Home School United Prep, Oklahoma City, OK - C: 6-10, 240. Offers: Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Nebraska. Interest: SLU, Indiana, UCLA, Mizzou, Baylor, Oklahoma State, Kansas State, Texas A&M, Wake Forest, Creighton, Wichita State, TCU, Tulsa, Loyola-Marymount, Navy. Latest (6/25): Hammond previously committed to Oklahoma but recently backed out. He reportedly played very well at the Pangos Camp. He has played his three years of HS basketball at three different schools in Oklahoma and Kansas. Twitter: @J_ham_24

Avery Johnson, Jr.: Cooper, The Woodlands, TX - PG: 5-9, 173. Interest: SLU, LaSalle, Baylor, LSU, Rutgers, Florida State, Rice, Charleston, Santa Clara, Bucknell, Columbia. Latest (7/2): LaSalle has contacted him. Previous: Johnson has visited SLU but called Baylor his leader at one point. He now says Baylor, SLU, and LSU are recruiting hardest. He has only visited Baylor and SLU so far. The son of former NBA player and coach Avery Johnson, he recently made headlines when he Tweeted taunts at the Nets after losing to the Bulls in the playoffs (his dad coached the Nets before being fired).Twitter: @itsaveryjohnson

Kelan Martin: Ballard, Louisville, KY - SF: 6-5, 185. Offers: Providence, New Mexico, Indiana State, Ohio, Western Kentucky, IUPUI. Interest: SLU, Butler, Xavier, Creighton, Mizzou, Kentucky, Louisville, Minnesota, LSU, Boston College. Latest (5/29): Martin has had an impressive spring on the AAU circuit and the offers are starting to roll in.

Mack Mercer: Plymouth, Plymouth, IN - PF: 6-9, 210. Offers: Boston College, Indiana State, Ball State, Kent State, Belmont, Loyola-Chicago, Rice, Vermont. Interest: SLU, Butler, Xavier, Mizzou, Indiana, Purdue, Notre Dame, Clemson, Mississippi State, Northwestern. Twitter: @MackMercer

Ikenna Okwarabizie: St. Louis Christian, St. Louis, MO - C: 6-10, 240. Offers: Southern Miss, SIUE. Interest: SLU, Marquette, Oklahoma, Tennessee, LSU, Auburn, Illinois State, Rice. Latest (6/19): Okwarabizie has "serious attention" from SLU and Rutgers per @runhouse. He is visiting Illinois State. Previous: Okwarabizie is just starting to emerge this spring and picked up his first offer from Southern Miss. More will be on the way. Twitter: @iykerulez1

Jalyn Patterson: Montverde Academy, Alpharetta, GA - PG: 5-11, 170. Offers: George Mason, Minnesota, Georgia Tech, Auburn, Georgia, Georgia State. Interest: SLU, Houston, Tennessee, Florida State, South Carolina, Charleston, Tennessee Tech, Georgia Southern, Kennesaw State. Latest (5/29): Of the three schools recruiting him hardest lately, he says, “I am planning on trying to get out to St. Louis and George Mason and probably Houston,” he said. “I am still thinking about other schools and choosing which schools I would like to visit but those are three that I am definitely hoping to get to.” Twitter: @jalynpatterson

Darreon Reddick: Belleville East, Belleville, IL - PG: 6-3, 200. Offers: DePaul, Valpo, Missouri State, Detroit, Toledo, Indiana State, IUPUI. Interest: SLU, Mizzou, Butler, Michigan, Xavier, Tennessee, Iowa, SIUC. Latest (5/21): Reddick visited Valpo with C.J. Rivers and both picked up offers. Twitter: @_14Reddick

C.J. Rivers: Cahokia, Cahokia, IL - PG: 6-2, 180. Offers: SIUC, SIUE, Miami-Ohio, Valpo, Toledo, Cornell, Brown, UIC, Wright State, Northern Kentucky. Interest: SLU, Illinois, Mizzou, Xavier, Tennessee, Drake. Latest (5/22): Rivers will visit Drake on June 12. Previous: Rivers visited Valpo with Reddick and both picked up offers. Rivers has visited SLU already. Twitter: @Cj_Rivers05

Marial Shayok: Blair Academy, Blairstown, NJ - SF: 6-6, 205. Offers: Marquette, Villanova, Seton Hall, Providence, LaSalle, Cincinnati, Boston College, Minnesota, Rutgers, Kansas State, West Virginia, Texas A&M, Georgia. Interest: SLU, VCU, Dayton, Illinois, Purdue, Gonzaga. Latest (7/8): Shayok picked up a Marquette offer. Previous: In early June, Shayok listed West Virginia, Providence, Boston College, VCU, Cincinnati, and SLU as the schools recruiting him the hardest. He said Minnesota, Rutgers, Kansas State, Seton Hall, and Villanova are also in the mix. He has not decided on any visits yet and doesn't plan to do so until August. He is considered one of the most athletic wings in the class of 2014. He's from a big-time basketball family: His father played at Dayton, his sister plays at Detroit, and his brother just transferred to UMKC from Bradley. Twitter: ToOffical_11

Dmitri Thompson: Orlando Christian, Orlando, FL - SG: 6-4, 185. Offers: Purdue, Miami, Oklahoma State, Mississippi, Georgia, South Florida, Central Florida, Murray State, Georgia Southern. Interest: SLU, Georgetown, Butler, Kansas State, Virginia, Alabama. Twitter: @BigMeech_2014