A couple of recruiting ?'s

almaman

Waited til after A-10 tournament to bring up 2 questions about recruits to ask brain trust on the board; first this Porter guy on Georgetown I don't remember him in HS at all. Did we try, was he good then? Did BCCC pursue? Second Jared Drew. I'm guessing he's not a red shirt, injured, walk-on, RM recruit? Thanks Ill take my answers off my rocker.

and porter went to scott country right outside of sikeston, he would have gone to mizzou, had mizzou had a coach announced by a certain date. and yes like 55 said, he is red shirted. they felt like they wouldnt need him much this season plus they wanted to put on about 20 pounds of muscle on the skinny kid, and they seem to be pretty close

Waited til after A-10 tournament to bring up 2 questions about recruits to ask brain trust on the board; first this Porter guy on Georgetown I don't remember him in HS at all. Did we try, was he good then? Did BCCC pursue? Second Jared Drew. I'm guessing he's not a red shirt, injured, walk-on, RM recruit? Thanks Ill take my answers off my rocker.

You probably don't remember Otto Porter from high school because he's from the southeastern part of Missouri (if I'm not mistaken). I'm not familiar with whether Missouri (SPUMAC, for ACE's reading comprehension :) ).

Jared Drew is a redshirt. He's on scholarship. He'll be a freshman next season. He's a Majerus recruit with a long wingspan. He's probably redshirtting because he wouldn't play much this season and needs to add some lean body mass.

We did recruit Porter. One of the first schools to offer him. I believe he came to one of our camps. He was totally unknown and blew up in a matter of weeks in summer before his Jr year. We weren't one of his finalists but we did recruit him.

thanks boys: so really we got 2 guys recruited by RM, the last of a run of seemingly increasingly better quality players each year we got to enjoy in his stay with us, and a 3rd who is one of the top 4 players in arguably the most b ball centric state in the union, Indiana to join four great super experienced seniors and a boatload of scholarships to award after we make our highly covered run in the dance...Even a recruiting hater like COTY JC would get a kick out picking the lucky starry eyed studs dying to jump aboard. Future pretty bright imho

Speculation and reality tend to run in opposite directions.

I've heard good things about Drew in this his redshirt year. If you are counting "Majerus recruits," you also have to count Austin McBroom who is stiing out his transfer year from Central Michigan, I believe. Crawford seems to be doing very well -- but Keith Carter was runner-up in Mr. Illinois basketball last year and that got us nothing in the long run.

You got a list of these starry-eyed studs .. I'm listening .....

We did recruit Porter. One of the first schools to offer him. I believe he came to one of our camps. He was totally unknown and blew up in a matter of weeks in summer before his Jr year. We weren't one of his finalists but we did recruit him.

I remember we held a Nike camp here and Porter showed up and wowed everyone. A few on here had heard of him, but he wasn't like a Bradley Beals type, who was nationally known. I think we may have been on him after that, but evidently he wanted brighter lights.

Taj79, on 19 Mar 2013 - 11:52, said:

Speculation and reality tend to run in opposite directions.

I've heard good things about Drew in this his redshirt year. If you are counting "Majerus recruits," you also have to count Austin McBroom who is stiing out his transfer year from Central Michigan, I believe. Crawford seems to be doing very well -- but Keith Carter was runner-up in Mr. Illinois basketball last year and that got us nothing in the long run.

You got a list of these starry-eyed studs .. I'm listening .....

I believe Crawford is a CREWS recruit, and dont forget Crawford signed with SLU after Majerus took a leave and his health wasn't looking so good.

I think Crawford is all in on the Billikens unlike Carter who came here just for RM.

I believe Crawford is a CREWS recruit, and dont forget Crawford signed with SLU after Majerus took a leave and his health wasn't looking so good.

I think Crawford is all in on the Billikens unlike Carter who came here just for RM.

Yep, according to Ben W. a few months ago, Crawford was not recruited by Majerus - he was a Crews recruit.

According to Yahoo, he was recruited by Ball State, Indiana State, and Evansville.

According to Scout, he was recruited by just St Louis.

Looks like he really did fly under the radar?

His other offers were lackluster. I expect had he waited to commit, he would have picked up a few more impressive offers (which is obviously the more important part, we could care less how talented he was a year ago relative to where he is now). That said, there is still a decent chance we may have still been his best offer. Crawford will never be a highly-touted recruit. Whether he becomes a highly-touted player remains to be seen but I have hope, as I know many others on this board do as well.

i think seeing what young mr crawford has done this year, he has a real good chance to be a very good college player. i gather his lack of recognition comes from 1. not playing much if any aau ball due to his summer golf schedule, 2. playing at a relatively small high school 3. because of being at the small high school not being able to always show off his guard skills which coupled with his size would change recruiters minds about him.

as clock mentioned awhile back, lisch never played aau (dabbled his summer before senior season). and i recall justin love went to a small high school and had to play center and thus overlooked in high school.

if crawford even approaches lisch/love college highs, we got a heck of a player. no doubt it is worth a look.

i think seeing what young mr crawford has done this year, he has a real good chance to be a very good college player. i gather his lack of recognition comes from 1. not playing much if any aau ball due to his summer golf schedule, 2. playing at a relatively small high school 3. because of being at the small high school not being able to always show off his guard skills which coupled with his size would change recruiters minds about him.

as clock mentioned awhile back, lisch never played aau (dabbled his summer before senior season). and i recall justin love went to a small high school and had to play center and thus overlooked in high school.

if crawford even approaches lisch/love college highs, we got a heck of a player. no doubt it is worth a look.

Is he from Tipton, Illinois?

His other offers were lackluster. I expect had he waited to commit, he would have picked up a few more impressive offers (which is obviously the more important part, we could care less how talented he was a year ago relative to where he is now). That said, there is still a decent chance we may have still been his best offer. Crawford will never be a highly-touted recruit. Whether he becomes a highly-touted player remains to be seen but I have hope, as I know many others on this board do as well.

If he is regarded as one of the five best players in Indiana, I believe there is good reason to think he is a heck of a player. We have had some recent success signing undervalued guys in the fall who were under the radar and then have big high school senior seasons - Mitchell, McCall and Evans come to mind. If I recall at the time, I think Dwayne's other best best offer was Nothern Illinois. Also, I think McCall had a little interest from BCS schools, but no offers.

I would think if Crawford were available now, schools like Purdue and Butler would be very interested. Heck, if he is good enough for SLU, he is certainly good enough for an inferior team like Butler. :D

If he is regarded as one of the five best players in Indiana, I believe there is good reason to think he is a heck of a player. We have had some recent success signing undervalued guys in the fall who were under the radar and then have big high school senior seasons - Mitchell, McCall and Evans come to mind. If I recall at the time, I think Dwayne's other best best offer was Nothern Illinois. Also, I think McCall had a little interest from BCS schools, but no offers.

I would think if Crawford were available now, schools like Purdue and Butler would be very interested. Heck, if he is good enough for SLU, he is certainly good enough for an inferior team like Butler. :D

This Crawford last year in HS does remind me of following McCall and Evan's teams in theirs.

You are right ACE that neither McCall nor Evans chose the Billikens over BCS offers. And we both know, and you more or less allude to this, that offers are so subjective and can be such a byproduct of timing and exposure. There are not many guards I would take over Mike and I don't even need to touch on Dwayne. We all know what a stud he is.

I don't know whether or not Crews is a good evaluator of talent. I'm not saying I doubt he is just that I don't really know either way. Crawford was not really very highly recruited but that's a sunk cost and of little to no importance now. Given his level of competition it's very hard to project how he'll come in and play but you can't argue against his results to this point. He dominated the lower level of competition he played against, nothing else he could've done.

I'm not sure he'll be able to come in and give valuable minutes as a freshman like some others are. But I do have a good feeling he'll be a valuable player down the line and am excited for the commitment.

As far as my starry eyed recruits i assume even if we landed the next seven best class of 13 uncommiteds we may not get much but between them and juco guys we should be able to net someone worth while especially if we dance deep. But two years from now team we need to deal with. still plenty of uncommitteds in that pool+ disgruntled bench warmers like Mcbroom who can sit a year and be there in two. I know kids are spoiled rotten these days but the parents still must (I hope) have some say in the decision making and we know that our little tv movie story playing out is very appealing to that demographic. Everyone of the feel good stories from Valpi to VCU I've responded as a fan at least some. I really think if we get to final four we'll be through the roof. Kathy Lee will be dying her hair blue on friday's Today show, SNL will have that fat guy dressed as Billiken in final four spoof! lookout Midtown Hollywood's coming to town!

keep the 3streak alive!

When I was watching the Crawford kid; he reminded me a lot of Joey Chitwwod.

Interestingly enough, I heard Crews was going to use the Picket Fence much more liberally in next year's offense.

JIMMY Chitwood. Pull your fuoking head out.

This is a thread from today at Holy Land of Hoops...if you read through a bit, someone references SLU potentially tapping some St. Mary's recruits from Australia now that they've been whacked by the NCAA. Anyone have details?

http://holylandofhoops.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=706&sid=e816f0d1d2e23e01c9c692b3cacc4368

Yes. It's true Majeus is sending Chris Hariman out to Sydney after the Tourney!! :)