Who gets the ball in crunch time?

Littlebill

I think this is an interesting topic. If we're down by 1 on the last possession of the game, who gets the ball? In the past, KM has been the easy answer, but he isn't back to his usual self yet. JJ is probably best at getting to the basket, and MM is probably the quickest and our best shooter. CE or RL through a set play? DE and CR could even post up.... Thoughts? What do you guys think?

Based on current form, it has to be Jordair Jett.

He won the game against North Texas, and that reverse layup against UMass out of the half court set with the clock ticking down was the same type of play.

His only drawback is the FT shooting - so maybe some combination of Jordair/Ellis that doesn't involve an abortion of a pass and a ball slowly bouncing out of bounds.

I would give it to Larry Hughes.
the wise one willie is right on. no billiken better at the crunch than larry legend.

if it a question about the current roster, based on who seems to be the guy with the ball when the shot clock is about to expire apparently our coaching staff thinks the answer is jake barnett.

As a tie or one-point game, Jett, no question. He makes the best driving candidate and even if they foul himn in a one-point deficit, he's a 50% shooter so the odds say the least we get is a tie. And we win a tie on the same logic.

If it's a two-point game, and I'm the opposing coach, I'd foul Jett no matter what on the entry drive. i would not give him the opp for an "and 1." Make him make two to tie. Again 50/50 chance. And with no one on the rebounding lane... ooops, should not have gone there, differnet topic.

A two- or three-point deficit is actually no tbad. You don't even put Jett onthe floor. You go with Mitchell, McCall, Loe, Ellis and Evans if all are available and you let one of the guards drive. If they make it fine. If fouled , they are two of our best. If it's a three, you drive and dish for a bomb frm the perimeter. Maybe even subbing Barnett for Evans in thi slook.

These are the options of a veteran team. If you are Temple, you just give it to Wyatt.

Singularly: right now, I'd go Mitchell for the 2+ situations. Jett for 1- situations.

I know he's struggled this year but I'd give the ball to this guy

2nd would definitely be Jordair. He can drive on anyone and get a decent look but I still want the guy who has proven time and time again.

KM for sure. That shot against Dayton was the highlight of my three year old's first ever sporting event.

the # 1,2, & 3 option is Kwamain. I let him take it even if he's still on crutches. One of the most clutch players to ever wear a Billikens uniform. He gets the ball in the last second. I want him making the decision no one else.

Ellis is a distant 4th. He's hit the big shot before and has no qualms about taking them.

Jett & McCall after that. Jett may be the best 1 on 1 player we have right now, but his decision making has a long way to go. Right now he'd just as likely to throw the ball in the stands as in the basket. McCall is right now the best shooter on the team. But he has no experience hitting the big shot at this level.

The last second shot isn't about beating your man to the rim or making a Sportscenter Top 10 type play. It is about getting space to take a clear shot at the basket, distance not necessarily important. It is really that simple. Not all of them are going to go in, but you can walk away from it knowing you took the best possible shot. Kwamain and Cody understand this. Jett & McCall I'm not sold on.

man, i wonder if any team in the country has the three point shooters 1-5 we'd have w/ loe, ellis, barnett, mccall and kwamain on the floor. if evans ever gets a solid three ball (not really counting on it at this point, but that's fine) he can have barnett's place.

as for who gets the last shot, it's kwamain for me, for sure. no one can create space like him. mccall can probably get to the dish even better than KM, but i haven't seen the shimmy shimmy jabstep jumper from him yet. and he doesn't have the start/stop misdirection ball handling really either. just pure speed. running a set play for a three from the corner or something, it's a REAL tough call between ellis and mccall. maybe take ellis as you know he'd pull some sh!t out of his ass and get fouled for three shots. the only thing keeping me from giving JJ serious consideration is his FT shooting. besides, i'm almost looking for that crazy son of a ***** to get a buzzer beating putback dunk.

Has to be KM, MM, or CE in a 3pt game. But right now CE and KM are in a bad place when it comes to 3s. Hopefully, this turns around real quick. We could/should have beaten Temple if not for being under 20% in 3's. A two point game, KM right now. I don't trust JJ's FT shooting and you know if someone's driving for a basket to tie it up he's likely to get severely bonked.

I'd go with Kwamain. Ever since he committed to SLU, I was hoping that McCall would be Kwamain Mitchell 2.0. I'm a big fan of McCall, he does a lot of things I like, but I have yet to see that "Just give me the ball in a crucial situation and I'm going to score" mentality that I've seen from Kwamain going back to the end of his freshman year.

The one guy who has emerged with that mentality this season has been Jordair Jett. I wouldn't be terribly confident in him taking a 3 in crunch time, though he has done better this year in his limited attempts. If we just need to get to the hoop, I would be comfortable with JJ driving to the hoop after KM.

If it's a longer ranger shot, give me KM, Cody, or MM.