Any news on where Carter is transferring?

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As long as he left in good standing and it doesn't hurt our APR, I hope it goes well for him.

I don't think that's entirely true. If I'm not mistaken, when a player doesn't return, there's a deduction. It's just that the deduction is doubled if he's not on track with respect to credits.

Yeah, I'm not 100% on the APR rules.

But pulling a Justin Jordan is trouble.

So this means he's lost his freshman year (per what I think kshoe wrote) and he will sit out during his sophomore year so when he comes back after first semester next year, is he a sophomore or a junior? I say soph giving him 2.5 years on the court at Valpo.

Interesting. Valpo in the Horizon as is his first commitment, Loyola with Porter Moser. Wonder why he didn't relook that. Maybe he did. Valpo is technically the Chicago suburbs I guess and with Butler gone, is likely to dominate the Horizon most of the time provided the current status is maintained both there and around the league. Maybe this guy might be only a Horizon-level talent. Maybe he couldn't crack the SLU lineup and with Mitchell back, was not willing to stick it out, RM or not. I wish him well and will check out the Valpo boxes when the memory returns to check progress. I do that with Jon Smith just to kind of see if this guy is/was a player or not. Smith = debatable. Justin Jordan = no. Cotto = no. Thompson = no. Mitchell = no. Knollmeyer = no. Maguire = no. Femi John = no (injury). Torres Roundtree = no. Ben McElmore = yes.

So it goes.

I'm pretty familiar with Valpo, have been there a few times and know the faculty. It's a tough school, a very good one, with high academic standards and a strong evangelical flavor (Lutheran). It will be just as tough, if not tougher, academically. And it's more -- hmmmm....-- strongly religious. So there's that. They are much more serious about lifestyle type things up there than at SLU, believe me. Much smaller, fishbowl environment than a bigger research university in an urban area...like SLU.

They play some good ball and have a very strong class of, I think, 4 excellent freshmen coming in next year. Carter should play, and do well in that league; the Valpo team we saw last month was heavy on seniors.

Also: calling it a suburb of Chicago is a bit of a stretch. Depends on traffic but it's a long way from Michigan Avenue. Believe me, nobody would want that commute! Actually not too far from Notre Dame; but the town is pretty much in the middle of nowhere.

I hope for the very best from Carter and wish him well in his studies and his basketball....

Valpo it is!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I gotta admit, I would find it funny if Bryce Drew leaves Valpo in the offseason and Carter is without a head coach again.

I know kids often pick a school because of a coach, but it is foolish if that is the biggest reason. Coaches come and go and in the case of RM had health problems. A kid needs to ask himself, if that coach is gone, does that school still have enough other things to offer where I could still be happy - level of competition, academics, good teammates, good looking ladies, a cool mascot, whatever, because odds are pretty good that coach won't be there all four years.

Or maybe Carter just wasn't willing to compete for playing time. You gotta remember, when he signed with us back in the fall of 2011, we were coming off a 12-19 season. Maybe Carter didn't realize how good we were going to be at the guard position. He wasn't going to waltz right in and be the man from day 1. And then, we add McBroom in the spring. Maybe after scrimmaging with McBroom and the other guys, he realized that he was really going to have to fight for playing time.

As long as he left in good standing and it doesn't hurt our APR, I hope it goes well for him.

I don't think that's entirely true. If I'm not mistaken, when a player doesn't return, there's a deduction. It's just that the deduction is doubled if he's not on track with respect to credits.

I believe the way the APR works is that if you leave but have the right number of credits and a GPA above 2.6 or 2.7 there is no deduction. If you leave with the right number of credits but a GPA below 2.6 or 2.7 you lose one point. If you leave and don't have the right number of credits (i.e. you were flunking out) you lose 2 points.

I think given that Carter is transferring to a good school and waited to after finals to transfer, he won't be a 2 point deduction and hopefully isn't even a 1 point deduction.

JMM28 is right that each semester you can earn a max of 26 points (or 52 points for the whole year) assuming you have a full roster. One player leaving that flunks out can lower your number to 960 (2 points / 50 possible). 2 players leave and you are at 920. Of course, its also a 4 year average so this would have to happen for 3-4 years before you'd be in trouble.

Valpo in the Horizon as is his first commitment, Loyola with Porter Moser. Wonder why he didn't relook that. Maybe he did. Valpo is technically the Chicago suburbs I guess and with Butler gone, is likely to dominate the Horizon

No, probably not. Long term, Id take any one of Loyola, Detroit, Cleveland State, or UIC to be traditionally at the top of the horizon after they settle into what they'll be post-butler.

of course, that's all before the new additions which ive heard rumors of belmont, oakland, and evansville

Dear Keith:

Be sure to grab some ice cream in the Valpo square from South Bend Chocolate Company. Tell the manager I sent you and you might even get a free cone (especially since neither she nor I could be interpreted as a Valpo "booster.") Even if you have to pay for it, it's great ice cream (and chocolate).

All the best in your future endeavors,

joe b.

I believe the way the APR works is that if you leave but have the right number of credits and a GPA above 2.6 or 2.7 there is no deduction. If you leave with the right number of credits but a GPA below 2.6 or 2.7 you lose one point. If you leave and don't have the right number of credits (i.e. you were flunking out) you lose 2 points.

I think given that Carter is transferring to a good school and waited to after finals to transfer, he won't be a 2 point deduction and hopefully isn't even a 1 point deduction.

JMM28 is right that each semester you can earn a max of 26 points (or 52 points for the whole year) assuming you have a full roster. One player leaving that flunks out can lower your number to 960 (2 points / 50 possible). 2 players leave and you are at 920. Of course, its also a 4 year average so this would have to happen for 3-4 years before you'd be in trouble.

i agree with kshoe. i am seriously doubting any D1 four year school takes him unless academics were fine. for example, when cotto left, he was "stashed" at a juco with the intent of ending up at lasalle. it never played out that way, but lasalle was never "with" a question mark academically.

if carter had issues i truly believe he would be at a juco or a naia school

the reason he is not at a higher profile school is probably twofold (this is my opinion, not one iota of proof behind it).

1. closer to home where his awesome advisors (that is pure sarcasm) can be closer to him going forward, and

2. probably harmed his own "brand" with his somewhat childish transfer without proof he could play at the higher level. a total of less than 40 minutes in half a season doesnt exactly make a top level program stand in the rain and snow waiting for the opportunity.

good luck to young mr carter. i truly hope you follow in your new coach's footsteps as long as you dont hit the game winner in round two of the ncaa tourney vs saint louis university.

i agree with kshoe. i am seriously doubting any D1 four year school takes him unless academics were fine. for example, when cotto left, he was "stashed" at a juco with the intent of ending up at lasalle. it never played out that way, but lasalle was never "with" a question mark academically.

the reason he is not at a higher profile school is probably twofold (this is my opinion, not one iota of proof behind it).

1. closer to home where his awesome advisors (that is pure sarcasm) can be closer to him going forward, and

2. probably harmed his own "brand" with his somewhat childish transfer without proof he could play at the higher level. a total of less than 40 minutes in half a season doesnt exactly make a top level program stand in the rain and snow waiting for the opportunity.

good luck to young mr carter. i truly hope you follow in your new coach's footsteps as long as you dont hit the game winner in round two of the ncaa tourney vs saint louis university.

Didn't Metz predict that KC was going to Duke?

Roy. You forgot number 3:

3. Injured knee which is either a serious and permanent injury (likely scare away most programs) or the knee is not so bad (despite the rumblings we have heard that Crews made KC, that he wasn't ready to return, that KC should have redshirted...) and that this is proof that KC and his handlers lack integrity (likely scare away most programs).

Roy - a Horizon program would take someone with poor academics if they were a superior talent. Ball State took Carlton Jordan when it was fairly well known he was performing poorly at SLU.

actually they didnt. before the start of the fall semester when it was obvious Justin Jordan wasnt going to be academically up to date, jordan was cut loose by ball state.. he then sat out a year and landed up on Indiana Purdue Fort Wayne Roster. i assume only after having his academics in some sort of order.

I dont know who Carlton Jordan is. there is this guy:

http://www.carltonjordan.com/http://www.carltonjordan.com/

but as far as i know he never even went to saint louis university or played basketball.

and i dont think the closet basterd child of carlton banks and jordan sparks has even reached college age yet.

Didn't Metz predict that KC was going to Duke?

Metz - please confirm or deny.