Big East Break-Up Thread (Merged)

The Wiz

Easily the best case is we join MVC with Butler-X-Dayton-DePaul a few teams like that...

Who is going to coach us? What recruits are coming?

Now some want to play Georgetown and everybody, and / or still want to play Fordham, RI, St. Bonnie?

Think.

• Replies 738
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Easily the best case is we join MVC with Butler-X-Dayton-DePaul a few teams like that...

Who is going to coach us? What recruits are coming?

Now some want to play Georgetown and everybody, and / or still want to play Fordham, RI, St. Bonnie?

Think.

so basically you want the a-10 to rescue the mvc.

no way. the best case is to merge with the basketball only big east and put the midwest schools of both together then steal creighton to add to that mix. the rest of the mvc isnt worthy.

Personally, I think the A-10 wants to add all 7 BE basketball-only schools, but doesn't actually want to have a 21-team conference, as that is just way too ungainly. Therefore, there are going to be cuts from the current A-10 membership if this actually goes through. It just comes down to whether the A-10 wants to be a 16- or 18-team conference. The most likely cuts from the new league (if it comes to fruition) are:

URI - With Providence on board, no reason for URI to be around due to market share.

Fordham - St. John's and Seton Hall can now provide cover for the NYC market. Fordham has never really been competitive in the A-10 and would be no real loss. The program would be better served in a smaller conference anyway.

St. Bonnie - A ho-hum program from a small school located in a small Eastern New York State village. Absolutely no market share or visibility.

If cutting down to 16 schools, those above are the ones almost certainly to go. However, if trying to get down to 16 schools, the other possible cuts would be:

UMass - If UMass is truly serious about pushing its football program, the A-10 might see if they were interested in jumping conferences like Charlotte and Temple. If they only want to go MAC or Sun Belt level with their program, I can see them joining one of them as a football-only member and staying in the A-10. This would seem to be purely up to UMass if they want to leave or not, as they represent the Boston-area and have been a pretty decent program over the years.

GW - With Georgetown already in DC, GW could be pressure to leave the conference if looking to get down to 16 teams.

LaSalle - With 'Nova and St. Joe, there will be three teams in the Philly area. LaSalle could be pushed out in the same way that GW could possibly be.

so basically you want the a-10 to rescue the mvc.

no way. the best case is to merge with the basketball only big east and put the midwest schools of both together then steal creighton to add to that mix. the rest of the mvc isnt worthy.

The best case is to end up in a basketball only Big East. The name alone carries much cache still. A merged A10/Big East would be a mess.

Fordham - St. John's and Seton Hall can now provide cover for the NYC market. Fordham has never really been competitive in the A-10 and would be no real loss. The program would be better served in a smaller conference anyway.

http://www.nj.com/college-basketball/index.ssf/2012/12/maac_conference_set_to_vote_on_conference_expansion_with_monmouth_a_potential_target.html

The perfect parachute for Fordham. That or the Patriot league again.

-this will great fun if SLU gets a chair when the music stops

-if the music stops and all chairs are full and we are not in one of them I think we set back for a long time

-Rick predicted it (the beast explosion), said he was trying to get us to the point where we would get picked for the next party, I hope he got us there, the quicker this happens I think the better for SLU

I know we are programmed to be paranoid as SLU fans but we are the 3rd most attractive option in the A10 for the BEast schools (behind X, Butler) so if these schools branch of in anyway we will have a chair. This is exciting because the best case is the best basketball only confrence with the Big East schools. The worst case is being in the A-10 as is minus TU also the best basketball only conference.

I've been watching St. Joe's vs Villanova and they just discussed this whole mess at halftime.

Dino Gaudio in the ESPN studio pointed out two things per his "sources":

-The Catholic Seven may not be as united as they would imply. Georgetown is the big dog and will do what is best for them, even if that means accepting an invite to a major conference without the others.

-If they do jump to the A10, it will not be to form a 21 team conference. "These schools will not accept going from playing in the Carrier Dome to playing in the Rose Hill gym or Lasalle's 3rd floor gym." Maybe a 16 team A10 made up of the Catholic 7 and with the A10's weakest 5 members discarded.

This is going to be a tough tightrope act for the A10's commish. I know we can't just dump current league members nonchalantly. But when the alternative may be the Catholic 7 picking off the league's best programs because a full merger isn't seen as suitable......some extreme measures may need to be taken.

I think the folks at Fordham, Lasalle, and St Bonnie have a lot to be worried about.

This is a Billikens wet dream.

Only way this happens is if the private schools can 1.retain the Big East brand 2. Continue to play at MSG 3. Keep the NCAA tourney shares that have accrued for the league over time.

If one of these doesn't occur I don't think the breakup will happen.

Unlike the last time we shuffled conferences i almost feel bad for some of the A10 schools who will certainly be left out of this new conference particularly St. Joes. I also hate the fact that DePaul has been dog**** for years and could still come out smelling like roses in this deal. Then again SLU could have years of stomping all over the Blue Demons to look forward to.

I don't think for a second the A10 has the pull to acquire any teams from the Big East. This will only go one way, the Big East poaching the A10.

The facilities were upgraded before he got here. Season ticket sales were actually higher before he got here than today.

Look, Rick Majerus was one hell of a basketball coach. That said the program isn't exactly in a much higher spot today than it was before he got here five years ago.

The important thing for SLU's future is that Chaifetz and Novelly stay involved while the program attracts future donors.

Hater.

He was the best recruiter, ever; 2*-3* kids came here to play for HIM. Deepest we've ever been, especially in the front court, some legit height.

And the king of preparation and demanded excellence.

If it wasn't for the incident (Biondi & Cook) we would have had a great 3 yr run and if Majerus was still with us, a 4th yr this year.

So watch what happens after this year. Coach? Recruits? W-L?

The A-10 is trending upwards for the first time in forever? and people are petitioning to break off with a few teams for the MVC? Right...

Ideally, these basketball only Big East teams decide forming an alliance with the A-10 is their best move. We would then ditch the bottom half of the A-10, because a 21 team conference doesn't seem too plausible. Dream scenario.

1. Cincinnati will never join the Big 12. Texas doesn't want Clemson and Florida St. and you think Cincinnati could get an invite.

2. Georgetown will be running this show so I doubt the Catholic 7 will ever join the A-10. I think it's more likely that SLU, X and Dayton get an invite to the Big East. Last time I checked Butler is not Catholic.

3. The real threat not mentioned on this board is what happens when the final 4 conferences, the Big 10, Pac 10, SEC and the Big 12 decide to take over college basketball. Which March Madness do you think CBS will pay more for, the Big 4 or the left overs.

This is a Billikens wet dream.

Only way this happens is if the private schools can 1.retain the Big East brand 2. Continue to play at MSG 3. Keep the NCAA tourney shares that have accrued for the league over time.

If one of these doesn't occur I don't think the breakup will happen.

Unlike the last time we shuffled conferences i almost feel bad for some of the A10 schools who will certainly be left out of this new conference particularly St. Joes. I also hate the fact that DePaul has been dog**** for years and could still come out smelling like roses in this deal. Then again SLU could have years of stomping all over the Blue Demons to look forward to.

I don't think for a second the A10 has the pull to acquire any teams from the Big East. This will only go one way, the Big East poaching the A10.

Why would St. Joe's be left out? Their high school gym? They are a big television market.

2. Georgetown will be running this show so I doubt the Catholic 7 will ever join the A-10. I think it's more likely that SLU, X and Dayton get an invite to the Big East. Last time I checked Butler is not Catholic.

Butler not being Catholic is its greatest advantage. Same with VCU; that is why the "Catholic 7" like to drop their names. There will not be a "Catholic" conference (although there certainly might be a conference with a lot of or mostly Catholic teams). Some fans may want that but no TV network (EWTN probably does not have an enough air time) wants a Catholic league.

1. Cincinnati will never join the Big 12. Texas doesn't want Clemson and Florida St. and you think Cincinnati could get an invite.

3. The real threat not mentioned on this board is what happens when the final 4 conferences, the Big 10, Pac 10, SEC and the Big 12 decide to take over college basketball. Which March Madness do you think CBS will pay more for, the Big 4 or the left overs.

The magic of the NCAA tourney is the underdogs get a chance in the first few rounds. CBS and tbs will pay more for a combo of big boys and small guys than a tourney that includes the last place team in the sec. Also, in your world of 4 super conferences the idea that duke and Carolina don't have a spot in the NCAA tourney is a bit ridiculous. Or maybe to hit a little closer to your home, if the ACC wins the battle with the big12 to become the 4th super conference can you really see an NCAA tourney without Kansas?

Interview with Marquette AD pretty candid about the superiority of the Big East 7 over the A10, & how much Tulane sucks.

http://espnwisconsin...9&post_id=16611

-well, he had a bit of honesty when he said the departure of Syr, Pitt and others hurts their bball

-he admitted he was a homer and I got that big time from some of the comments

-he also made it seem like there is a very, very elite club of schools that have won championships and once in there you get a big chip in the game, I wish SLU would hang a national championship banner for the NIT team as that was the bigger tourney at the time, not trying to revise history just proclaim it (and those players, if any still around, should be honored every season)

-I also think the designation or speculation on a 'Catholic conference' hurts the discussion as I don't think any new conference will be based on religion and for that reason I hope if SLU is in so is Butler so it can't be called a 'Catholic conference' to avoid the haters

-he also made it seem like there is a very, very elite club of schools that have won championships and once in there you get a big chip in the game, I wish SLU would hang a national championship banner for the NIT team as that was the bigger tourney at the time, not trying to revise history just proclaim it (and those players, if any still around, should be honored every season)

It would have been great had SLU played in the "lesser" NCAA Tourament back in the 40s and 50s. We'd probably have a national championship banner hanging from the rafters. Then again, LaSalle has one, and that doesn't seem to help them much these days.