Big East Break-Up Thread (Merged)

The Wiz

• Replies 738
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't going to happen. First they would be buried in anti-trust suits. Second they would not want to tempt the wrath of Congress this would bring. This would freeze out the states of 28 senators, would negatively impact the schools 58 senators attended, would leave out the Ivies, and leave out the Service Academies. Sure, the schools in the big four that rely on federal funding would want to do that.

i am not following this logic. if this is true, why doesnt lindenwood sue the ncaa since they arent getting an opportunity for D1 money? it would seem to me the schools leaving the ncaa to form their own organization arent prohibiting any school from doing anything similar. who they choose to align themselves with wouldnt seem to be anti trust. in fact since they are actually creating more not less wouldnt this be the exact opposite of anti-trust action?

i am not following this logic. if this is true, why doesnt lindenwood sue the ncaa since they arent getting an opportunity for D1 money? it would seem to me the schools leaving the ncaa to form their own organization arent prohibiting any school from doing anything similar. who they choose to align themselves with wouldnt seem to be anti trust. in fact since they are actually creating more not less wouldnt this be the exact opposite of anti-trust action?

Lindenwood currently has a chance to move up to the highest level if it chooses to.

Actually, no. These urban schools generally play in pro style arenas not on campus (Villanova plays on campus but they are suburban). Also, the loss of attendance created by moving to Chaifetz may hurt a bit as well. SLU has a lot to offer and Chaifetz may have some symbolic benefit (showing commitment) but they would be better off in a large capacity, better attended arena.

The practice facilities, while probably minor, will help.

Actually no.

-SLU's average attendance at Chaifetz is actually on par with Providence, DePaul, and often St John's already. And higher than Seton Hall. That's without special-event highly attends games.

-While GT and St. John's play in 20,000 seat pro arenas, they are often less than half-full. A rarely reported fact.

-By not paying thousands in rent per game, SLU's revenues are actually higher at Chaifetz.

-SLU still has Scottrade Center available should they need it for a highly attended game. And they have made it clear they will use it under those circumstances.

Lindenwood currently has a chance to move up to the highest level if it chooses to.

they can petition to become ncaa. it isnt immediate and would require many minimums, changes and committments on their part to be granted that status. and even if they would get ncaa D1 status, they wouldnt be invited to the Big ten, or the A-10 or the Missouri Valley, etc. they are still very restricted to the level they can be a part and then that in turn will greatly reduce their ability to garner ncaa funds.

you can bet that this mythical big four conference alliance would also word their charter's and bylaws to state requirements for admission to their alliance and conferences. thus cracking the door for them to proclaim they could expand. i.e. the attorneys involved will protect themselves.

My hope is they decide to go to a 12 team league under the Big East brand. Then add in X, Butler, SLU, ND, and Dayton/Creighton.

I think Creighton might be too far for some of the Seton Hall/Providence types so Dayton holds the advantage there.

I do think ND has to look long and hard at this type of deal where they are in a non football conference for all other sports. No sense in going to the ACC when you could be in a holding tank in case the FbS split happens and join into the Big 10 at that point.

My hope is they decide to go to a 12 team league under the Big East brand. Then add in X, Butler, SLU, ND, and Dayton/Creighton.

I think Creighton might be too far for some of the Seton Hall/Providence types so Dayton holds the advantage there.

I do think ND has to look long and hard at this type of deal where they are in a non football conference for all other sports. No sense in going to the ACC when you could be in a holding tank in case the FbS split happens and join into the Big 10 at that point.

i could live with that. i would feel for st joes though.

Actually, no. These urban schools generally play in pro style arenas not on campus (Villanova plays on campus but they are suburban). Also, the loss of attendance created by moving to Chaifetz may hurt a bit as well. SLU has a lot to offer and Chaifetz may have some symbolic benefit (showing commitment) but they would be better off in a large capacity, better attended arena.

The practice facilities, while probably minor, will help.

Butler's arena is smaller and Cintas is about equal, correct. I don't think size is going to matter much here. SH, St.J's, Prov, GU, et al play in big arenas because they don't have adequate facilities. Also, they don't have the big name draws anymore, ie Cuse, Louisville, Pitt, WVU. There's gonna be a lot of empty seats when and if we are invited to join the so called big boys of the Beast. I would hope MU and DePaul are lobbying hard for us as they must want to cut travel expenses.

i would feel for st joes though.

Why exactly? The fighting Martellis would be happy to ride you down like a rabbit if the positions were reversed. Remember how The Bills were solid with Depaul and Marquette when leaving CUSA? Solid! Until it was not in their interest any longer. F'em.

Actually no.

-SLU's average attendance at Chaifetz is actually on par with Providence, DePaul, and often St John's already. And higher than Seton Hall. That's without special-event highly attends games.

-While GT and St. John's play in 20,000 seat pro arenas, they are often less than half-full. A rarely reported fact.

-By not paying thousands in rent per game, SLU's revenues are actually higher at Chaifetz.

-SLU still has Scottrade Center available should they need it for a highly attended game. And they have made it clear they will use it under those circumstances.

-yes, let's compare ourselves to the bottom of the Beast!!!

Richmond too. The have some real good things going for them but i don't see how they would be considered with VCU in play.

In terms of the institutions themselves, Richmond would actually be a better fit since it's private. I realize that's all pretty much irrelevant in this day and age though.

I just want to stick with x and dayton. Those are the most meaningful games for me right now.

Another problem with this - if they decide on a 10 team league, One would assume Xavier is choice #1.

Then you have Dayton, Butler and SLU in the mix for two spots. I'd say Butler is #2 with SLU #3. But maybe X says screw SLU we need Dayton as well. SLU could be left in a scenario where the best option is MVC which is a huge step backwards.

I could give a damn about Dayton. I'd gladly sell Dayton's ass right down the river.

So many kids from STL go to dayton. As a St. Louisan and SLU alumnus I love playing them because of the $hit talking that goes on among the STL Catholic HS crowd.

Another problem with this - if they decide on a 10 team league, One would assume Xavier is choice #1.

Then you have Dayton, Butler and SLU in the mix for two spots. I'd say Butler is #2 with SLU #3. But maybe X says screw SLU we need Dayton as well. SLU could be left in a scenario where the best option is MVC which is a huge step backwards.

At least we have the St. Louis TV market going for us. That's one advantage we have over any of those schools.

At least we have the St. Louis TV market going for us. That's one advantage we have over any of those schools.

That's the major factor in SLU over Dayton. The Dayton market is covered by X.

I would also say that SLU has a more desirable tv market than Butler not only because it is bigger but the competition there is much greater.

STL is the biggest market out of those cities (21), but Indianapolis isn't far off (25). Cincy is 34 and Dayton is by far the smallest at 64. It is worth noting that UD does seem to get a lot of love from the CBB crowd historically (ie, the tourney play-in game being played there every year).