Big East Break-Up Thread (Merged)

The Wiz

For the conspirators....ESPN wins

For the nonconspirators....damn...BE unluckiest conference in the world....not even counting TCU and others who have backed out. UConn and Cinn not far behind.

Next up basketball schools will have to decide what to do.....This is where A-10 comes in. Could be another realignment...BB only or a new conference or two. Should be interesting. I hope we get our coaching situation squared away in a timely fashion so we are ready when the chips start to fall.

• Replies 738
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For the conspirators....ESPN wins

For the nonconspirators....damn...BE unluckiest conference in the world....not even counting TCU and others who have backed out. UConn and Cinn not far behind.

Next up basketball schools will have to decide what to do.....This is where A-10 comes in. Could be another realignment...BB only or a new conference or two. Should be interesting. I hope we get our coaching situation squared away in a timely fashion so we are ready when the chips start to fall.

Conspirators: For 8 years now ESPN has been trying to destroy the Big East starting with the move of Miami, V-Tech and Boston College to the ACC. It may finally be working.

Non-Conspirators: The Big East has always been a house of cards built on a base of wanna be football powerhouses that don't have nearly the same fan support as Midwest and southern based schools. Of course each school has jumped at the chance to leave the weakest football conference out there for greener pastures. Luck has nothing to do with it. Geography, fan apathy in the Northeast towards college football, and a failed alliance with 7 basketball only schools are the real reasons.

Now which one makes more sense?

Conspirators: For 8 years now ESPN has been trying to destroy the Big East starting with the move of Miami, V-Tech and Boston College to the ACC. It may finally be working.

Non-Conspirators: The Big East has always been a house of cards built on a base of wanna be football powerhouses that don't have nearly the same fan support as Midwest and southern based schools. Of course each school has jumped at the chance to leave the weakest football conference out there for greener pastures. Luck has nothing to do with it. Geography, fan apathy in the Northeast towards college football, and a failed alliance with 7 basketball only schools are the real reasons.

Now which one makes more sense?

I guess we will see ....since the old Big East is now the ACC. While there are no BB only schools in the ACC you still have a conference controlled by BB....you have pretty much the same type football schools...adding Duke, NC and Wake Forest football is just more BE type football. ...with about the same interest level. It will be interesting to see if FSU, Clemson, GT stay or not. ...They threatened to leave if UConn was picked over Louisville. It is not clear at this time whether ACC will remain stable particularly if the football schools are unhappy.

Again, the Bills need to get their house in order ...just in case things start to happen.

I guess we will see ....since the old Big East is now the ACC. While there are no BB only schools in the ACC you still have a conference controlled by BB....you have pretty much the same type football schools...adding Duke, NC and Wake Forest football is just more BE type football. ...with about the same interest level. It will be interesting to see if FSU, Clemson, GT stay or not. ...They threatened to leave if UConn was picked over Louisville. It is not clear at this time whether ACC will remain stable particularly if the football schools are unhappy.

Again, the Bills need to get their house in order ...just in case things start to happen.

I don't disagree with this. Right now there are 5 viable football conferences but someday there may only be 4. The Big 10, SEC and Pac 12 aren't going anywhere so the real question is whether the Big 12 gets split in two directions (Texas and Oklahoma schools head west and others head East) or whether the ACC gets picked apart by the Big 12, Big 10 and SEC. I can see plausible cases made for each scenario as the ACC holds the numbers and geography advantage while the Big 12 has the better football teams and bowl contracts in the post BCS world.

I don't disagree with this. Right now there are 5 viable football conferences but someday there may only be 4. The Big 10, SEC and Pac 12 aren't going anywhere so the real question is whether the Big 12 gets split in two directions (Texas and Oklahoma schools head west and others head East) or whether the ACC gets picked apart by the Big 12, Big 10 and SEC. I can see plausible cases made for each scenario as the ACC holds the numbers and geography advantage while the Big 12 has the better football teams and bowl contracts in the post BCS world.

Looks like we are headed to 4 superconferences (all with 16 teams) SEC, B10, B12 and one other conference made up of the remaining best 16. Once that happens there will be a football playoff. In any case, ESPN will be driving the bus.

The good news for the Bills is this all will take some time and once it starts to affect BB only schools hopefully we will be rolling.

Looks like we are headed to 4 superconferences (all with 16 teams) SEC, B10, B12 and one other conference made up of the remaining best 16. Once that happens there will be a football playoff. In any case, ESPN will be driving the bus.

The good news for the Bills is this all will take some time and once it starts to affect BB only schools hopefully we will be rolling.

My concern is that without having RM as our coach we are less of an attractive option so I sure hope we play well this year and can attract a good coach to keep it going.

This will be one of the most crucial hires in Bills history...besides the normal effects that a hire has...it may affect who or where we play down the road.

I'm a little surprised that the Big 12 let Louisville get away.

Tex/Ok greed. ...We don't need to split our pie anymore.....could be shortsighted....only have 10 teams...also no conference championship.

What scares me is if these 4 powerhouse conferences decide to leave the NCAA. For all practical purposes the BCS schools have already done it for FB, other than they are still governed by NCAA recruiting and eligibility rules. What's a little disconcerting is if these schools apply their FB business model, ie the BCS, to their hoops programs once they get their FB conferences aligned?

Tex/Ok greed. ...We don't need to split our pie anymore.....could be shortsighted....only have 10 teams...also no conference championship.

The Big 12 only exists to keep the Longhorns' (and to a lesser extent the Sooners) options open. The longterm health of that conference is secondary.

What scares me is if these 4 powerhouse conferences decide to leave the NCAA. For all practical purposes the BCS schools have already done it for FB, other than they are still governed by NCAA recruiting and eligibility rules. What's a little disconcerting is if these schools apply their FB business model, ie the BCS, to their hoops programs once they get their FB conferences aligned?

They need the other schools to make the basketball tournament what it is. You can't really have a 64 or even a 32 team basketball tournament when you only have 64 teams. Second, the fear of anti-trust legislation will stop that from happening.

The Big 12 only exists to keep the Longhorns' (and to a lesser extent the Sooners) options open. The longterm health of that conference is secondary.

What is really sad is they picked up WV and now with out adding Lville or anyone else....WV sits out on an island far from the rest of the B12....both culturally and geographically.

This will be one of the most crucial hires in Bills history...besides the normal effects that a hire has...it may affect who or where we play down the road.

Agree, but I am not guilelessly optimistic.

People on this board (some of whom criticized the crap out of him the first few years) are just beginning to understand how much Majerus brought to the table and how unlikely we are to get anyone even close to having his credentials.

Majerus was a one time fluke luck random occurance. Now, "here we are again".

Agree, but I am not guilelessly optimistic.

People on this board (some of whom criticized the crap out of him the first few years) are just beginning to understand how much Majerus brought to the table and how unlikely we are to get anyone even close to having his credentials.

Majerus was a one time fluke luck random occurance. Now, "here we are again".

I think it remains to be seen whether we are at ..."here we are again" ...a lot has changed since the RM hire...new arena, new supporters, new seat fees, a more energized fan base that has tasted some success, a better conference , etc..

I think it is wrong to throw the towel in at this point and call it a fluke. Why don't you give May a chance.

Here we go again with the big mean Texas posts. Please take them to the stltoday forum where you can post with the rest of the jealous idiots. If it stays here, it's going to get nasty

It isn't big mean Texas posts. If I was running Texas I would probably be doing the same. Texas is looking out for Texas and that is perfectly acceptable. Just like Notre Dame looks out for Notre Dame.

The coach has little to do with it. The commitment across the board, market size, relevancy in that market, and facilities are far more important.

-having Rick as the head coach showed commitment and was bringing us to relevancy in the market and beyond with the success we were starting to have, continuing that without him will be more difficult, not impossible

H

It isn't big mean Texas posts. If I was running Texas I would probably be doing the same. Texas is looking out for Texas and that is perfectly acceptable. Just like Notre Dame looks out for Notre Dame.

I get so tired of hearing from people with very little knowledge of the facts on how UT and OU to some extent ruined the Big 12. And mostly it's because little old bottom feeder Mizzou didn't get as much of other people's money as they wanted (does that seem like a familier trend) UT first went to the Big 12 to start a Big 12 network, no one wanted to spend any money to get involved. In fact many snickered believing it to be a losing proposition. Then Texas went to A&M to partner for a state of Texas type network, did A&M want to invest? Nope? UT knew that TV money was the real deal and invested their time and money instead into the Longhorn Network ... then somehow when it was clearly going to be a money maker, everyone wants a piece of the pie. And ... it's not only the TV money. It's the bowl and NCAA money. Who earned the most revenue that was put into the Big 12 pie? Why Texas, of course. Why? because they spend their money and invest in their program to be successful. They don't nor have they ever looked to everyone else to earn them their share. Yes, they did build that. What school earned the 2nd least amount of Big 12 championships across the board in all sports? Care to guess? Yes, it's Mizzou. Iowa Stare as a program kicks Mizzou's ass. Invest, build, and lose or win on your own merits. No one including Texas believes they don't have to partner in part with their league, of course they do and look at what share of the Big 12 pie is earned by UT and OU as compared to the share they recieve. The question wasn't whether they should share, it was how much. Here's a nice link to Mizzou's success in the Big 12 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Big_12_Conference_champions