Big East Break-Up Thread (Merged)

The Wiz

"In all the conference realignment talk today, this stuck out:

Why Dayton over SLU?

SLU has a larger media market that isn't covered, a much newer (and state-of-the-art)arena, and a better profile going forward?"

You may be over-estimating the weight that the size of the media market carries in the decision making process. Probably more important is the % of viewers in that media market that watch the college basketball teams in the market. Los Angeles is huge, and they don't have pro football, and Green Bay is small, and they have a very successful franchise. Why is that?

X and Dayton sharing the same market isn't necessarily a bad thing. They aren't mutually exclusive. Fans would watch both teams, and even more so when they are in the same league, and rivals.

The team's arena probably has even less to do with the decision. Both Dayton's and SLU's should be considered adequate. If anything, Dayton has an advantage here. The NCAA starts the NCAA tournament in their arena.

SLU has a better profile going forward? I believe it, but does the Catholic 7 believe? What is the case for that?

Looking at RPI over the last 10 years. Dayton's past RPIs would increase overall Big East RPI more than SLU's; probably resulting in more NCAA bids for Big east, and surely more revenue generated, as a result, than the differences in the size of the media market.

Looking at only historical data, Dayton is the obvious choice. Looking to the future, it appears SLU is a better choice. How to convince the Catholic 7 is the question.

• Replies 738
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see any scenario that would include Duquense. It would either be VCU or Dayton.

I know it won't happen. I would rather have Dayton, but I was just thinking about tv markets - Dayton doesn't do well there, although they have a much much better following than the Dukes. Also, not sure if X views Dayton as a friend in this or if they would rather they not be a part of this. Maybe X would want to be the only Ohio school in the Big East.

If you've been in business you know how important personal relationships are. I too hope the good Fr B has schmoozed these guys over the years about including SLU in any conversations about the long hoped for Papal Conference.

You think that Biondi would think that way about athletics? Take his valuable personal time to schmooze Georgetown, et al, for a future shot at inclusion in the Big East? At his age and stage of career?

I do not.

I don't have any inside information, but last night I read a number of articles from a number or sources, and I would be surprised if SLU doesn't land in the new conference. From what I have gathered from the credible media sources, the 7 schools are considering the following 3 new conference scenarios:

1. A nationwide Catholic Conference that would even include Gonazaga and St. Mary's. (per ESPN and NY Times http://www.nytimes.c...tball.html?_r=0). SLU is a given in this scenario, but Butler should be worried.

2. A 10-team MidWest/East Coast Private Conference that would include the 7 Big East Catholic Schools, plus Xavier, Butler, and either SLU, Creighton, Dayton, or VCU -- in that likely order (per Milwaukee Sentinel http://www.jsonline....-183439151.html). This is the most concerning scenario, but SLU's media market, facilities investment, and Jesuit affiliation appears to give it the advantage over the other three.

3. The same scenario is 2 above, except it would include 5 of the A-10/MVC schools for a 12-team conference. SLU would almost certainly be included. (Per SI http://sportsillustr...all/?eref=sihp.)

If I were a betting man, I would take scenario 3 above with Dayton and VCU being on the outside looking in.

That is the same way I think it will shake out. 12 teams just makes more sense than 10.

Agreed. Nwith word that a new cable channel may be built out of the assets of the big east, a nation wide foot print seems more likely to be the end game here. It might take some timemto expand that far west though. Manifest destint.

I don't have any inside information, but last night I read a number of articles from a number or sources, and I would be surprised if SLU doesn't land in the new conference. From what I have gathered from the credible media sources, the 7 schools are considering the following 3 new conference scenarios:

1. A nationwide Catholic Conference that would even include Gonazaga and St. Mary's. (per ESPN and NY Times http://www.nytimes.c...tball.html?_r=0). SLU is a given in this scenario, but Butler should be worried.

2. A 10-team MidWest/East Coast Private Conference that would include the 7 Big East Catholic Schools, plus Xavier, Butler, and either SLU, Creighton, Dayton, or VCU -- in that likely order (per Milwaukee Sentinel http://www.jsonline....-183439151.html). This is the most concerning scenario, but SLU's media market, facilities investment, and Jesuit affiliation appears to give it the advantage over the other three.

3. The same scenario is 2 above, except it would include 5 of the A-10/MVC schools for a 12-team conference. SLU would almost certainly be included. (Per SI http://sportsillustr...all/?eref=sihp.)

If I were a betting man, I would take scenario 3 above with Dayton and VCU being on the outside looking in.

That is the same way I think it will shake out. 12 teams just makes more sense than 10.

All the credible sources I have read are saying that its most likely going to be a 10 team conference to start and possibly expand in the future.

Why Dayton over SLU?

SLU has a larger media market that isn't covered, a much newer (and state-of-the-art)arena, and a better profile going forward?"

You may be over-estimating the weight that the size of the media market carries in the decision making process. Probably more important is the % of viewers in that media market that watch the college basketball teams in the market. Los Angeles is huge, and they don't have pro football, and Green Bay is small, and they have a very successful franchise. Why is that?

X and Dayton sharing the same market isn't necessarily a bad thing. They aren't mutually exclusive. Fans would watch both teams, and even more so when they are in the same league, and rivals.

The team's arena probably has even less to do with the decision. Both Dayton's and SLU's should be considered adequate. If anything, Dayton has an advantage here. The NCAA starts the NCAA tournament in their arena.

SLU has a better profile going forward? I believe it, but does the Catholic 7 believe? What is the case for that?

Looking at RPI over the last 10 years. Dayton's past RPIs would increase overall Big East RPI more than SLU's; probably resulting in more NCAA bids for Big east, and surely more revenue generated, as a result, than the differences in the size of the media market.

Looking at only historical data, Dayton is the obvious choice. Looking to the future, it appears SLU is a better choice. How to convince the Catholic 7 is the question.

Looking at the last 20 years SLU has made more NCAA tournaments, has won three times as many NCAA tournament games and SLU has the better record in the A10 since SLU joined that league.

All the credible sources I have read are saying that its most likely going to be a 10 team conference to start and possibly expand in the future.

Correct, and SLU is looking pretty good.

Honestly, Dayton looks screwed. They appear to be behind Creighton too

Why Dayton over SLU?

And Fordham is in New York which is a HUGE market BUT..........

Saint Louis looks better mostly because X already has that market covered.....

did i read correctly that the seven big east schools would control the existing ncaa money yet to come? if that is correct, could be another reason to only invite 3 for now. less pressure to split the spoils of the past.

i would think though that they could get the incoming schools to agree to stay away from ncaa old money for a 5 year period and move forward with the better choice of a 12 team 2 division set up. it just makes everything easier.

12 team conference would seem to clinch a slu invite. 10 we are all sweating.

as to the suggestion of hiring bruce pearl, i would hope the powers to be can find a successful coach without resorting to a snake like pearl. there is no reason we cant have it both ways, success and integrity. a pearl hire ends my billiken fandom immediately.

I've been seeing a lot on the other fan sites that say they may only add 2. The reason would be so that there can be a 16 game conference schedule where every team plays every other team home and away. Hope this isn't true, as it would seriously hurt our chances.

I've been seeing a lot on the other fan sites that say they may only add 2. The reason would be so that there can be a 16 game conference schedule where every team plays every other team home and away. Hope this isn't true, as it would seriously hurt our chances.

I think those who expect these decisions to be made around having the cleanest schedule, don't really understand these schools' priorities.

How do you determine credible? (I am being serious, not sarcastic.)

Pete Thamel at SI says 12. Andy Katz and the other ESPN writers (citing Notre Dame as the source) speculate it will be the large national Catholic conference. I have seen a lot of the 10-conference commentary coming from message boards and tweets.

How do you determine credible? (I am being serious, not sarcastic.)

Pete Thamel at SI says 12. Andy Katz and the other ESPN writers (citing Notre Dame as the source) speculate it will be the large national Catholic conference. I have seen a lot of the 10-conference commentary coming from message boards and tweets.

Dick Wiess from NY Daily News has mentioned a 10 team conference and possibly only adding Xavier. A beat writer from X has tweeted that its looking like a 10 team conference. I try to stay away from message board fodder but at this point any information that is leaked probably isnt too credible. What is being leaked yesterday and today could change 10 different times by Monday.

I saw this on twitter from Ben Weixlmann: "Interested to see how many "Big East" chants and signs I see/hear at Saturday night's #SLU game."

Does anyone have any plans for showing their support of SLU pushing to join the Big Priest conference at the game tomorrow? Seems that us fans need to vote with our feet on this one. Show up in big numbers and show our support for SLU to join the a new Catholic conference. Are the students planning anything? Maybe one of those big cardboard cutouts with the Big East logo or multiple cutouts with logos from the big east 7 schools.

I saw this on twitter from Ben Weixlmann: "Interested to see how many "Big East" chants and signs I see/hear at Saturday night's #SLU game."

Does anyone have any plans for showing their support of SLU pushing to join the Big Priest conference at the game tomorrow? Seems that us fans need to vote with our feet on this one. Show up in big numbers and show our support for SLU to join the a new Catholic conference. Are the students planning anything? Maybe one of those big cardboard cutouts with the Big East logo or multiple cutouts with logos from the big east 7 schools.

Not sure if any signs are going to be made but I did read that Billiken Athletics is throwing a party for the students before the game which involves free food, free ted drewes, and Iphone, Ipad, Ipod giveaways. Lets hope the students show up eventhough its finals week.

Well it figures that when this day arrived, it wasn't going to be easy...because we all know it is hard work being a Billiken fan. A 12 team league, I feel good. A 10-team league, we are sweating it out. It sounds like it could be an epic battle of good vs. evil... Bills vs. sweatervests.