Big East Break-Up Thread (Merged)

The Wiz

The quote below comes from a Providence source who, at least so far, has been spot on with his info regarding the split. No idea if it is true but thought it would be of interest.

BTW, I was told again last night that XU, Dayton, Butler and SLU are all on board if/when they are asked. Once again that's a fact that I know not rumor.

• Replies 738
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The quote below comes from a Providence source who, at least so far, has been spot on with his info regarding the split. No idea if it is true but thought it would be of interest.

BTW, I was told again last night that XU, Dayton, Butler and SLU are all on board if/when they are asked. Once again that's a fact that I know not rumor.

Not a surprise. If they added those 4 plus Creighton to the BE7, then you'd have a heckuva conference.

Right you are TJHawk, MVC sucks behind holes. Anyway, from what the X guy is saying, the BE7 really wants the Saint Louis market which makes me feel better. I still do not get Butler being a lock since they do not meet the ideologies of the other schools.

Butler is a lock because what Stevens is building there is very Duke-ish. Duke was not Duke prior to Coach K (the coach prior to him resigned to take the South Carolina job) - a young coach like Stevens can transform a program.

Pepperdine had existed for years as the only non-Catholic institution in the WCC until BYU joined up in 2011.

Not a surprise. If they added those 4 plus Creighton to the BE7, then you'd have a heckuva conference.

And I'm sure Creighton would jump w/o a second thought. You know one thing about Butler, they weren't much until Stevens took over. Now there's no doubt he's done a heck of a job... in the Horizon. And in the NCAA, which can't be discounted. So they've been fortunate in their selection of coaches, Matta, the guy who went to Iowa, and now Stevens. But it's not like they invested heavily in big time coaching moves, they've just managed to make some great hires. Whereas we did not after Spoon departed because Fr.B or someone pissed him off with their penny pinching attitude. Romar was supposed to be a breakthrough, but just the wrong guy in the wrong place, and Soderberg was a convenience, read cheap, hire. Guess the point here is, I hope these schools look at what SLU's trying to build here, but so far have been a little unlucky. I'm convinced if RM were with us today, we'd be a lock.

Duquense would add nothing. And dont forget about Notre Dame being added.

Notre Dame? Have you seen any serious national media suggest Notre Dame is not going to the ACC? I haven't.

While I agree that Duq doesn't add much, they do offer the Pittsburgh market. It likely won't be enough to overcome the crappiness of their basketball program but you never know.

This is the most promising bit of news I have seen

Apparently SLU, X and Dayton already have one foot out the door to join the BE7

http://www.nypost.co...tent=Basketball

I agree it is really positive if they have one foot out the door to join the BE7 because the BE7 said "hey, we want you so do what you have to do to join our conference".

Otherwise, if they have one foot out the door because they hope to join the new conference, then it's not too big of news to me. What similarly situated school wouldn't be preparing to leave?

This is the most promising bit of news I have seen

Apparently SLU, X and Dayton already have one foot out the door to join the BE7

http://www.nypost.co...tent=Basketball

That seems to be an updated and more complete version of what he published earlier in the day where he only mentioned SLU, Xavier and Dayton. This time he includes Butler but claims that adding 5 is the more likely scenario. I hope he's right on he adding 5 point.

for one it balances the conference geographically a lot better.

second, the scheduleing could be a more manageable 16 game schedule with the majority of the games being divisional which makes the travel situation more manageable. instead of an 18 which a ten team all in one conference would likely go towards.

the only advantage i see to a 10 team conference is they get to keep more of the ncaa money rather than split out two more shares.

Roy, I'm not sure if this is what you are saying, but I'd be shocked if the BE7 had any intention of sharing a single penny of NCAA tourney money already earned with the new 3 or 5 schools that they add. Going forward, it would be shared but what was earned already is theirs to keep. Thus, adding 5 instead of 3 won't affect what they've already earned.

This brings up two key points:

1) The new conference will have the ability to design payouts as desired. For example, it has been reported that the A-10 pays out 75% of NCAA money to the team that actually earned it while other conferences are materially lower. I suspect G-town and Marquette will argue for a higher number while the Providence's of the world will want as low a number as possible.

2) If Xavier, SLU, Dayton leave the A-10 we will likely have to leave behind previously earned credits. This is obviously a much bigger deal for Xavier (likely worth over $10mm) than it is us ($1-2mm) but I suspect the lawyers are already looking at ways to get at some of this money.

If the BE7 are adding 5 teams the Bills surely should be in the mix. Time will tell but I am excited about the prospects of this new league. If it does come to fruition then our next move is hiring a top notch HC so we have a real shot at being competitive in the league.

If the BE7 are adding 5 teams the Bills surely should be in the mix. Time will tell but I am excited about the prospects of this new league. If it does come to fruition then our next move is hiring a top notch HC so we have a real shot at being competitive in the league.

Agreed all the way around. I know some will say that some of the BE7 aren't much better than teams in the A-10. Even if that is true, I think our fans are more likely to show up for a game against nova, st. john's or even depaul than they are for a game against fordham, bonnies or st. joes.

Agreed all the way around. I know some will say that some of the BE7 aren't much better than teams in the A-10. Even if that is true, I think our fans are more likely to show up for a game against nova, st. john's or even depaul than they are for a game against fordham, bonnies or st. joes.

The BE7 is far better than the A-10. Let's just say for comparison sake that they go to 12 teams in 2 divisions with Duq being in the Eastern division and no Creighton. I'll keep it simple and compare the new BE to how our A-10 schedule would look next year.

Same: Play Xavier, Dayton and Butler twice and Duq once

Replace:

GW with G-town (Major Upgrade)

Fordham with St. Johns (Major Upgrade)

St. Joes with Villanova (Minor Upgrade)

St. Bon with Seton Hall (Minor Upgrade)

Rhode Island with Providence (Minor Upgrade)

VCU with Marquette (Major Upgrade)

Richmond with Marquette (Major Upgrade)

UMass with Depaul (Neutral: worse basketball but Chicago is better)

LaSalle with Depaul (Minor Upgrade: worse basketball but Chicago is better)

The b7 have a teleconference today. We might get some leaks following.

The way they proceed greatly impacts their control over the assets. Dissoving vs. leaving is the biggest thing to sort first. I wouldn't expect any official invites until that is settled.

Yeah the meeting is suppose to take place this morning so there could be some leaks but I doubt we hear anything regarding which teams they are inviting this early in the process but I could be wrong.

The BE7 is far better than the A-10. Let's just say for comparison sake that they go to 12 teams in 2 divisions with Duq being in the Eastern division and no Creighton. I'll keep it simple and compare the new BE to how our A-10 schedule would look next year.

Same: Play Xavier, Dayton and Butler twice and Duq once

Replace:

GW with G-town (Major Upgrade)

Fordham with St. Johns (Major Upgrade)

St. Joes with Villanova (Minor Upgrade)

St. Bon with Seton Hall (Minor Upgrade)

Rhode Island with Providence (Minor Upgrade)

VCU with Marquette (Major Upgrade)

Richmond with Marquette (Major Upgrade)

UMass with Depaul (Neutral: worse basketball but Chicago is better)

LaSalle with Depaul (Minor Upgrade: worse basketball but Chicago is better)

Agreed. And I suspect playing Marquette at home would put more butts in the seats than Richmond.

Roy, I'm not sure if this is what you are saying, but I'd be shocked if the BE7 had any intention of sharing a single penny of NCAA tourney money already earned with the new 3 or 5 schools that they add. Going forward, it would be shared but what was earned already is theirs to keep. Thus, adding 5 instead of 3 won't affect what they've already earned.

This brings up two key points:

1) The new conference will have the ability to design payouts as desired. For example, it has been reported that the A-10 pays out 75% of NCAA money to the team that actually earned it while other conferences are materially lower. I suspect G-town and Marquette will argue for a higher number while the Providence's of the world will want as low a number as possible.

2) If Xavier, SLU, Dayton leave the A-10 we will likely have to leave behind previously earned credits. This is obviously a much bigger deal for Xavier (likely worth over $10mm) than it is us ($1-2mm) but I suspect the lawyers are already looking at ways to get at some of this money.

i am talking about future earnings. if they are arrogant enough to beleive that the "seven" would be the main reason for big ncaa earnings and the adding of more teams not as good as they are only waters down their future share of the pot they would look to limit the teams to 10 or less.

From the a-10 board: "3 WCC are involved if they can agree on the specifics of the divisional split. San Fran in the picture to go along with Gonzaga, St. Mary's and Creighton."

Not sure where folks are getting info, but this would point to a national catholic conference. Gotta think that would include SLU. East, Central and West divisions?

JMM28 what's your source? I checked all the NEast papers and found nothing. CNNSI said Creighton had been contacted however. My guess if they contacted Creighton, they're leaning towards adding 5 schools to even out the geographics of the league. Keeping my fingers crossed because, God knows, it's really difficult being a Bills fan. But inclusion would be a major step to easing our long term hardships.

From the a-10 board: "3 WCC are involved if they can agree on the specifics of the divisional split. San Fran in the picture to go along with Gonzaga, St. Mary's and Creighton."

Not sure where folks are getting info, but this would point to a national catholic conference. Gotta think that would include SLU. East, Central and West divisions?

Ok, that would make 8 additions to make it a 15 team league? Unless there's someone else they're interested in in the A-10, which would most likely be VCU or Duquense (can't imagine they'd want the Dukes but who knows)

If it's a 16 team league would it look like this:

EAST

GU

NOVA

VCU/DUQUENSE

ST JOHNS

SETON HALL

PROVIDENCE

XAVIER

DAYTON

WEST DIV

MU

DEPAUL

BUTLER

SLU

CREIGHTON

ST MARY'S

ZAGS

USF

Jeez, if this works out they just gave Bay Area Billiken an early Xmas gift. That would be one m-fing kick ass bb conference. And the ideal place to hold the conference tourney every year would be... you guessed it... right dead smack in the middle of the country, the Gateway to the West. Or alternate it every year between SF, STL, and NYC.

Apparently Dave Reynolds, Bradley's beat writer, thinks (per twitter):

"Catholic conference could be 12 teams coast to coast with East-West divisions. St. Mary's, Gonzaga, San Fran would be in div. with Creighton"

If it is 12 teams only and those are 4 of the 5 to be added, we are screwed.