Big East Break-Up Thread (Merged)

The Wiz

• Replies 738
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I hope we wind up with Georgetown, Nova, and the BE + X, Dayton, etc... but I have been conditioned to expect the worst. With everything else going on with SLU and his personal situaton, does anyone think Biondi is giving this his best effort?

Even if he was, did he ever care that much about the team? I consider Biondi almost lame duck.

Again, it would be great if "BE 7" adds 5 teams and we get in with that conference, west division or something. But I do not have confidence that we will come out in good shape. We shall see.

the only hope I have for Biondi is that he might be able to smell the dollars if we are in a conference associated with Georgetown and Nova. While I don't have any hope for him supporting this from a bball point of view, I do have a little hope that he might see the business sense it would make.

the only hope I have for Biondi is that he might be able to smell the dollars if we are in a conference associated with Georgetown and Nova. While I don't have any hope for him supporting this from a bball point of view, I do have a little hope that he might see the business sense it would make.

I would hope so too, because I just checked with my dog laying on the couch, and she can see the business sense this makes.

Well, I hope we wind up with Georgetown, Nova, and the BE + X, Dayton, etc... but I have been conditioned to expect the worst. With everything else going on with SLU and his personal situaton, does anyone think Biondi is giving this his best effort?

Even if he was, did he ever care that much about the team? I consider Biondi almost lame duck.

Again, it would be great if "BE 7" adds 5 teams and we get in with that conference, west division or something. But I do not have confidence that we will come out in good shape. We shall see.

I don't understand why the Beast 7 would just add 3 schools? Five makes much more sense for so many reasons. The five should be SLU, X, Dayton, Butler, and Creighton or VCU (although VCU is not in philosophical synch w/ the private schools). But I'm beginning to think we're gonna get the shaft once again. Fr. B should have been on a plane to Wash DC last night begging his old buds at GU to make sure SLU's one of the schools.

The man knows how to count; $1.6mm in TV money is a whole lot more than $400k. Have him check it out w/ his buddy J. Cook.

From everything I've read and heard, I wouldn't expect VCU to get much of a look. They really seem to want to go in the private institution route which is fine with me.

My proposed conference

Georgetown

DePaul

Marquette

St. Johns

Seton Hall

Providence

Villanova

SLU

Xavier

Dayton

Butler

Creighton

Agree in a perfect world. But, Biondi?

Of course, finally, some TV revenue, etc, but does he give a sh*t? He is probably on his way out, soon, and never had athletics as a priority all along.

To me this is of concern.

Biondi knows better than anyone else that pulling this off would take a large amount of heat off him. He would be viewed as a hero by a large part of the SLU community.

Agree in a perfect world. But, Biondi?

Of course, finally, some TV revenue, etc, but does he give a sh*t? He is probably on his way out, soon, and never had athletics as a priority all along.

To me this is of concern.

But biondi isn't dumb, he likes money and I'm sure he would like more recognition for SLU in the large east coast markets.

And he doesn't appear like he'll leave SLU without a fight. Getting SLU into a new conference like this could be something that bolsters his case to stay at SLU.

Again, I'm only saying I have a little hope that he is fighting the good fight here.

Irish HC said in an ESPN article today that the discussions have centered around a national Catholic conference which would include bringing in X, Dayton, SLU, Creighton, St. Mary's, and Zaga. Whoa how sweet would that be? I know Zaga and St. Mary's doesn't make much geographical sense, but with all that extra TV money Fr. B might even let us charter a BUS for those WC trips. Actually, if Biondi can show we got in due to his lobbying, he would be perceived as a hero as it was always implied this was reason why we chose the A10 over the Valley.

Irish HC said in an ESPN article today that the discussions have centered around a national Catholic conference which would include bringing in X, Dayton, SLU, Creighton, St. Mary's, and Zaga. Whoa how sweet would that be? I know Zaga and St. Mary's doesn't make much geographical sense, but with all that extra TV money Fr. B might even let us charter a BUS for those WC trips. Actually, if Biondi can show we got in due to his lobbying, he would be perceived as a hero as it was always implied this was reason why we chose the A10 over the Valley.

So does the opposite view also apply? If it's X/Dayton/Butler leaving A-10 and SLU doesn't get a move, does Biondi get vilified?

So does the opposite view also apply? If it's X/Dayton/Butler leaving A-10 and SLU doesn't get a move, does Biondi get vilified?

I don't know if it would hurt him, but it for sure won't help him, since the closest rival we'd have would be St.Bs. It would also depend on what he's doing to secure our position in this possible new league. If he's sitting on his thumbs praying for the best, some might consider that he's not doing his job. Especially, since all the schools save one would be Catholic.

Time for MU and DePaul to live up to their promise of 7 years ago that we would all stick together. They owe us one, and they'd better be lobbying for SLU over Dayton or Butler. Just as an aside I still don't get the attraction w/ Dayton since they basically share the TV market w/ X. If we don't get selected, it's gonna be really hard being a Bills fan.

I don't know if it would hurt him, but it for sure won't help him, since the closest rival we'd have would be St.Bs. It would also depend on what he's doing to secure our position in this possible new league. If he's sitting on his thumbs praying for the best, some might consider that he's not doing his job. Especially, since all the schools save one would be Catholic.

Not to nitpik, but our closes rival would be Duquesne, still not good.

@JASEBANDELOW

Last season, SLU had $3.1 million in expenses for the men's basketball program. Average expenses of 7 BIG EAST schools leaving: 7.54 million

@JASEBANDELOW

Total expenses for all sports for SLU: $14.2 million. Average for 7 BIG EAST schools: $27.5 million.

@JASEBANDELOW

What I'm getting at: SLU will have to make big financial investment if serious about making move to leave A-10.

@JASEBANDELOW

A-10 requires $2 million exit fee for teams leaving with one year's notice. Add on the fact that SLU will be searching for new head coach..

Don't let Biondi see these tweets

@JASEBANDELOW

Last season, SLU had $3.1 million in expenses for the men's basketball program. Average expenses of 7 BIG EAST schools leaving: 7.54 million

@JASEBANDELOW

Total expenses for all sports for SLU: $14.2 million. Average for 7 BIG EAST schools: $27.5 million.

@JASEBANDELOW

What I'm getting at: SLU will have to make big financial investment if serious about making move to leave A-10.

@JASEBANDELOW

A-10 requires $2 million exit fee for teams leaving with one year's notice. Add on the fact that SLU will be searching for new head coach..

Don't let Biondi see these tweets

Biondi knows as well as anyone else that he is looking at around a million and half more in tv money with BE 7, a dramatic increase in ticket revenue and required giving with the BE 7, more money in a shoe deal in the BE 7, more apparel sales with the BE 7, more future NCAA money with the BE 7 and an easier time selling to donors with the BE 7.

Biondi knows as well as anyone else that he is looking at around a million and half more in tv money with BE 7, a dramatic increase in ticket revenue and required giving with the BE 7, more money in a shoe deal in the BE 7, more apparel sales with the BE 7, more future NCAA money with the BE 7 and an easier time selling to donors with the BE 7.

Are we talking about the same Biondi?