Butler, VCU, and GMU to A-10?

SLUDrew

so you are saying that the VCU conference is and always has been the equal to the great midwest, conference usa and the A-10.

i say not. and VCU has just consistently been one of the better teams in that conference. but i dont think until these last three years VCU has been a better team than even the billikens let alone an XU or Templelike team. my point is i want a true swap out or upgrade of Temple. I consider Butler to be that. I dont consider a shakaless VCU that.

Please tell me a school as good as Temple (other than Butler) in a conference that isn't better than the A10......

VCU and GMU are likely replacements for Charlotte (Still Perfecthairless) and UMASS (Still Calipariless) who have delusions of football granduer.

I don't like the idea of an 18 game league schedule but divisions combining us, X, Dayton, Butler (and who ever else) would suit me fine.

By your reckoning SLU (Romarless) should've never been invited to the A10........

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't like the idea of an 18 game league schedule but divisions combining us, X, Dayton, Butler (and who ever else) would suit me fine.

Agreed. At least being in a division with those teams would help make up for the bottom feeders that we'll have to play and that will drag our RPI down.

i personally would be against the addition of VCU and George Mason. imo, George Mason is not an upgrade. true better than some of our current lower echelon A-10 teams, but not enough to add the quanity to conference.

While VCU is without a doubt in the midst of a nice three year run, it very well seems that can all be contributed to shaka smart, i want the a-10 to shrink. i'll take back to back ncaa runner up butler who also has a west presense but i dont care about lesser east coast schools.

I feel very little "connection" to the Eastern teams as we have it now. Other than Xavier, Dayton, and Charlotte, the rest of the A-10 can be just about anybody. We need good teams in the league if we want to keep getting 3-4 bids.

so you are saying that the VCU conference is and always has been the equal to the great midwest, conference usa and the A-10.

i say not. and VCU has just consistently been one of the better teams in that conference. but i dont think until these last three years VCU has been a better team than even the billikens let alone an XU or Templelike team. my point is i want a true swap out or upgrade of Temple. I consider Butler to be that. I dont consider a shakaless VCU that.

But they're not Shakaless yet and considering he just turned down Illinois doesn't look like they will be next year. I just feel this same argument could be made for Butler with Stephens.

Please tell me a school as good as Temple (other than Butler) in a conference that isn't better than the A10...... VCU and GMU are likely replacements for Charlotte (Still Perfecthairless) and UMASS (Still Calipariless) who have delusions of football granduer. I don't like the idea of an 18 game league schedule but divisions combining us, X, Dayton, Butler (and who ever else) would suit me fine. By your reckoning SLU (Romarless) should've never been invited to the A10........

that's been my point. i dont want to maintain the conference size unless it is a top notch program. shrink the conference before settling for volume.

But they're not Shakaless yet and considering he just turned down Illinois doesn't look like they will be next year. I just feel this same argument could be made for Butler with Stephens.

go back and look. butler has been on the rise for about 4 straight coaching regimes now. granted stephens seems to be the man that reached the mountain top. but the program improvement has been steady.

I'm all for the adding these schools.

It would be easy to schedule with the 4 division format and we could see some strong rivalries develop.

Bulter

Dayton

Saint Louis

Xavier

Charlotte

George Mason

Richmond

VCU

Duquesne

George Washington

La Salle

Saint Joseph's

Fordham

UMass

Rhode Island

St. Bonaventure

Play each team in your division home and away and every other team once for an 18 game conference schedule. Our schedule would be a lot of fun every year with home and homes agains Butler, Dayton, and X.

that's been my point. i dont want to maintain the conference size unless it is a top notch program. shrink the conference before settling for volume

I agree...eliminating some bottom feeders should be priority...however, if VCU, Butler, and George Mason are added and we now have an 18 game Conference Schedule, I'd rather play A-10 teams than Texas Southern, Alabama State, and Arkansas State...

I agree...eliminating some bottom feeders should be priority...however, if VCU, Butler, and George Mason are added and we now have an 18 game Conference Schedule, I'd rather play A-10 teams than Texas Southern, Alabama State, and Arkansas State...

Those games won't go away. SLU needs the buy games to make the numbers work on the arena.

i personally would be against the addition of VCU and George Mason. imo, George Mason is not an upgrade. true better than some of our current lower echelon A-10 teams, but not enough to add the quanity to conference.

While VCU is without a doubt in the midst of a nice three year run, it very well seems that can all be contributed to shaka smart, i want the a-10 to shrink. i'll take back to back ncaa runner up butler who also has a west presense but i dont care about lesser east coast schools.

Take a look again at the pic of the VCU arena, Broy. They got a lot more NCAA banners hanging on the walls than we do.

I'm not really sure who the bottom feeders are in the A-10 other than Fordham. And supposedly they're going to increase their emphasis on hoops. ST. B's? Hey, they just won the A-10 and made the dance. Their fan base is solid. LaSalle? Granted the Gola ain't much, but they could still put some good teams on the floor. I think VCU and GM are being mentioned because the conference leaders think Charlotte and UMass may bolt because of football. Heck I could see the Beast letting 'em both in and be a 20 team league since they know UL, UC, Uconn, and Rutgers won't be there much longer. Once they're gone, the A-10 becomes the A-16 w/ 2 divisions and the top non BCS conference in the country. And how's that bad for SLU?

Take a look again at the pic of the VCU arena, Broy. They got a lot more NCAA banners hanging on the walls than we do.

I know that your experience at Chaifetz is limited, so I'd just like to point out that in addition to our NCAA banners and banner commemorating our 4,000+ NIT appearances, we also have one (1) Women's NIT banner hanging from the rafters.

so if we would have had the exact same rosters over the last 20 years and instead of being in the great midwest/cusa and the a-10 we would have been in a conference with 10 250+ rpi teams we wouldnt have made a few more ncaa tourney's?

Gotta go with Roy on this one. What do VCU and GMU add to the A10 that isn't already there? Adding 2 huge public schools in markets where Richmond and GW already are? Coming from a much inferior conference where they haven't exactly dominated in basketball.

Gotta go with Roy on this one. What do VCU and GMU add to the A10 that isn't already there? Adding 2 huge public schools in markets where Richmond and GW already are? Coming from a much inferior conference where they haven't exactly dominated in basketball.

People recognize VCU and GMU.

Standard conversation in Columbus:

Fan: "What conference is SLU in anyway?"

ME: "The Atlantic 10"

Fan: "Oh, who's in that?"

ME: "Temple, Xavier, Dayton...LaSalle, Fordham"

FAN: "Oh. Yeah, I knew about Temple and Xavier."

It might be the classic case of buying high but unless my memory is off, no team currently in the A-10 has been to the final 4 in at least 30 years. The 3 schools being discussed have been 4 times in the past 10 years.

Not saying its a layup and the public school thing is less than ideal but if Charlotte and UMass leave, GMU and VCU make a lot of sense.

I'd take Mason and VCU over Fordham, Duquesne, St.Bonaventure and Rhode Island any time. Football is calling at both Umass and Charlotte and there is no great equalizer out there. That ship willlikely sail in afew years as well. Best be out there hunting for replacement parts.

When did Umass under Calipari go to the Final Four? Marcus Camby hasn't been playing pro ball for 30 years has he?

forgot about the public school angle. another reason to nix vcu and gmu. we need to become more like minded institutions not less.

I'd take Mason and VCU over Fordham, Duquesne, St.Bonaventure and Rhode Island any time. Football is calling at both Umass and Charlotte and there is no great equalizer out there. That ship willlikely sail in afew years as well. Best be out there hunting for replacement parts.

When did Umass under Calipari go to the Final Four? Marcus Camby hasn't been playing pro ball for 30 years has he?

Well, technically they had those banners taken away due to Calipari. ;)

forgot about the public school angle. another reason to nix vcu and gmu. we need to become more like minded institutions not less.

It wouldn't be more or less, it would be a neutral move- UMass and Charlotte (assuming they leave) for VCU and George Mason. All are public.

Also, just because a school is private doesn't mean it's more like-minded. William and Mary is a lot more like-minded with A10 schools than USC, but USC is private and W&M is public. Just one example.

We shouldn't be getting too hung up on private/Catholic vs. public/non-Catholic; we need to be in the best possible basketball conference that isn't football-driven, and if it means taking a couple more non-private schools with competitive basketball programs, so what?

It wouldn't be more or less, it would be a neutral move- UMass and Charlotte (assuming they leave) for VCU and George Mason. All are public.

Also, just because a school is private doesn't mean it's more like-minded. William and Mary is a lot more like-minded with A10 schools than USC, but USC is private and W&M is public. Just one example.

We shouldn't be getting too hung up on private/Catholic vs. public/non-Catholic; we need to be in the best possible basketball conference that isn't football-driven, and if it means taking a couple more non-private schools with competitive basketball programs, so what?

DAMNIT PISTOL. How are we supposed to have a PAPAL Conference with public schools? Explain yourself.

Just to make a point about adding these teams to the conference: would games against VCU, Butler and GMU add aśśeś to seats - Yes.

I would be more excited to watch these teams than most in our conference.

Here's my rule of thumb: which opponents would my non-SLU basketball junkie friends be most likely to say yes to see? Non-SLU, non-basketball junkie friends to say yes?

All three would beat the rest of the 80% of the league with BU and VCU beating out Temple. It's about attendance to the school and these programs have name recognition.