Butler, VCU, and GMU to A-10?

SLUDrew

VCU would be an exciting add, I could go either way with GM. Besides location, one cant really like butler and not vcu, both programs are doing big things right now, both have solid young coaches, both are hitting the media airwaves like crazy, both have a good name to land good recruits for a while.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is the question really - who has been to final 4s or is it over a 10 year period how many have made the dance consistently? I know that puts us on the short end but the facts are the facts. I think about how can the conf strenghen itself? - Butler does this - quality program for some years and under multiple coaches and it opens up a new TV market that has some good size to it. How does VCU and GM do this - we are already in the the Richmond and DC TV market and while VCU has had recent success and GM somewhat sporadically then what is really the big pull for them. I would rather look to add a couple of teams that have a more midwest or less of an east coast flavor. Who would those teams be - not sure who but what about Milwaukeee WI - that is a larger TV market or Murray State - consistent winning but small market - or Clevland State - big market but inconsistent winning. I am not saying to invite these schools just opening up the discussion to focus more towards us and Dayton and X and now Butler rather than all the eastern schools who have plenty of close conf members already.

Is the question really - who has been to final 4s or is it over a 10 year period how many have made the dance consistently? I know that puts us on the short end but the facts are the facts. I think about how can the conf strenghen itself? - Butler does this - quality program for some years and under multiple coaches and it opens up a new TV market that has some good size to it. How does VCU and GM do this - we are already in the the Richmond and DC TV market and while VCU has had recent success and GM somewhat sporadically then what is really the big pull for them. I would rather look to add a couple of teams that have a more midwest or less of an east coast flavor. Who would those teams be - not sure who but what about Milwaukeee WI - that is a larger TV market or Murray State - consistent winning but small market - or Clevland State - big market but inconsistent winning. I am not saying to invite these schools just opening up the discussion to focus more towards us and Dayton and X and now Butler rather than all the eastern schools who have plenty of close conf members already.

If it makes you feel any better, Creighton has reached out to the A10 about coming over. That gives you a more Midwestern presence. VCU has earned a right to get excited about. GMU not as much but not bad. Adding BU, CU and VCU would be ideal. UNCC will leave soon due to football considerations. That's where the money is. They will jump ship soon, trust me.

I don't get it. GMU is not even close to being a basketball powerhouse. They went to a final four in 2006. They have 6 total NCAA tournament appearances ever. Their success was based around 1 coach who is no longer there. By the time they would join in 2 years, their final fluke four run would be damn near a decade past. It is already ancient history for most.

GMU does not get butts in the seats. VCU maybe. Butler definitely.

I don't have a problem adding Butler, and I think everyone is in agreement on that one. I have a problem adding one mediocre program and one above mediocre basketball program from the east coast. Why bother?

edit - I would take Creighton in a heartbeat over everyone including Butler.

are you guys kidding me??

I would absolutely want these teams added. They are all teams with recognizable success who would compete and get A-10 bids every year for this conference. We are talking about having a possibility of a 5 bid conference year in and year out, but some people want the conference smaller?

Adding these teams brings NCAA bids and helps those new teams recruit now that they're in the A-10 and helps every team already in the A-10 recruit because we can tell the kids they're coming to a high caliber conference now.

If it makes you feel any better, Creighton has reached out to the A10 about coming over. That gives you a more Midwestern presence. VCU has earned a right to get excited about. GMU not as much but not bad. Adding BU, CU and VCU would be ideal. UNCC will leave soon due to football considerations. That's where the money is. They will jump ship soon, trust me.

Really? Where did you hear this?

Agreed. Adding those 3 would be awesome for A-10. I'd love to watch Dougy McDermott at the 'Fetz.

I can confirm this.

We may turn in to a 5 bid league real soon.

The idea of Creighton joining is definitely in the vain of what I was trying to say in my earlier post. The other good thing about it is that now people would stop harping about how terrible it is that we are in the A10 since we are on the west bank of the MS River. The travel part of for CU is really much worse then our situation. If this happens, this would really throw a monkey wrench into the Valley.

The idea of Creighton joining is definitely in the vain of what I was trying to say in my earlier post. The other good thing about it is that now people would stop harping about how terrible it is that we are in the A10 since we are on the west bank of the MS River. The travel part of for CU is really much worse then our situation. If this happens, this would really throw a monkey wrench into the Valley.

Creighton to the A-10 sounds terrific to me on several fronts. No doubt would hurt MVC. Makes the A-10 even Papaler.

Creighton, Butler, Murray State, VCU an George Mason would be a dream come true. Maybe A10 could go to 2 divisions? Can you guys imagine....SLU, Butler, Xavier, Dayton, Creighton, Murray State?!!! The arena would be packed!!! Also, if we need a couple more teams, I'd vote for Loyola-Chicago (to get a foot in that market) and /or Wichata St. Either way A10 is looking better and better!