Temple to Big East Official

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If the league knows a second team is also going to leave. The replacing schools really should be top notch or else the league would be far better with 12 schools imo. Get butler creighton or nothing. Do boston u not good enough. Besides two midwest schools would start to geographically balance the league more and sure make all the sports map people that have been so upaset with us being in the a10.

If the league knows a second team is also going to leave. The replacing schools really should be top notch or else the league would be far better with 12 schools imo. Get butler creighton or nothing. Do boston u not good enough. Besides two midwest schools would start to geographically balance the league more and sure make all the sports map people that have been so upaset with us being in the a10.

Agree Roy. If A10 cannot lure a couple of somewhat bigger names, then a 12 team conference would be the better solution than adding 2 nonrelevant teams. The A10 will stay fairly strong with X, Dayton, St. Joes, and us. There will still not be any other midmajor conferences that will approach the A10 standing of strength just behind the BCS schools.

I've got the perfect team to replace Temple at the top of this conference. It's SLU. Lose Charlotte or Umess if they want to pretend they can play football. Lose Fordham if you can.

Andy Katz tweeted something today about how we need to be the team that steps up and takes Temples spot with X at the top of the league.

Time to bring in these guys.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Easy road trip and help bridge the gap between us and the rest of the conference.

That court looks crazy in that building..... If you have a long skinny building why put the court accross the short way? Maybe its just the perspective on the camera shot but it looks weird......

How about this bring in Butler, Bradley, and Creighton.

Go with four divisions of four. 18 game conference schedule. Play each team in your division twice and everyone else once.

Bradley

Butler

Creighton

Saint Louis

Dayton

Duquesne

Saint Bonaventure

Xavier

Charlotte

George Washington

La Salle

Richmond

Fordham

Rhode Island

Saint Joseph's

UMass

That court looks crazy in that building..... If you have a long skinny building why put the court accross the short way? Maybe its just the perspective on the camera shot but it looks weird......

I was just thinking the same thing...

If you place it the other way, you will limit the "good" seats. I always felt that was the case at Louisville's Freedom Hall. All the seats were in the end zones.

Some folks like to b*tch about us playing the likes of the Bonnies, Umass, GeeDub and Richmond. Why would Bradley want to leave the confines of its very cozy MoValley conference and trade SIu, Indiana State and Illinois State for the same? Why would Creighton? Why would Butler leave the Horizon where, even as dogs this year, they were two games away from another trip to the Big Dance?

Teams are moving for football-related reasons. With that in mind, I can't see basketball-only schools outside of the school saffected by the football moves, giving a crap one way or the other.

According to today's Baltimore Sun, Temple had to pay the MAC a $6 million exit fee. "A source told ESPN the school believes it will quickly recoup that money with increased revenue from Big East affiliuation." It also said Temple will owe the A10 "$1 million for giving the A10 one year's notice to leave or $2 million for less thna one year." So total move is costing them $7 million right now. Templ ei sinheriting West Virginia's league scheudle for nest year.

It's really not a problem because the rim is still 10' high and the free throw line is still 15' from the hoop. The three-point line might be different though.

I've never seen a game there, but I hear it's awesome. A true bucket list site for hoops fans.

@sshoe --- I've been in the building a few times, but never seen a game. Last time I was there, all the bleachers were those old-fashoned wood-and-metal frame bleachers like the one's at high school football games or hwere Belushi was lurking in "Animal House" looking up at Mandy and Babs. You could walk under the seats and this is where the concession stands were. Seemed to me they could all be taken down quite quickly if need be. Still -- a greta old place. I need to get inside the Palestra ---- don't kno whow the Palestra could beat Hinkle.

It's really not a problem because the rim is still 10' high and the free throw line is still 15' from the hoop. The three-point line might be different though.

I've never seen a game there, but I hear it's awesome. A true bucket list site for hoops fans.

Hey, those are the exact same measurements as our gym back in Hickory.

If the Bills ever play in Hinkle again, I'm definitely going.

I thought I had been told this by a Butler Grad... Wikiepidia Confirmed: "The court was reconfigured in 1933 from running east to west to run from north to south, as over half of the seats were at the ends of the court, when event viewing is typically better from the sides."

I'd love to see a game in this arena... Even better, I'd love to see many a game in this buidling where the Bills are beating down on the dogs... Hoosiers is still one of my Top 3 favorite movies... The part when the Drunk that Dennis Hopper plays and his son talk in the hospital... I still cry.

Andy Katz:

• The selection committee filled out its first ballot on Wednesday. That means the teams that committee members vote for are in the NCAA tournament (no matter what). The selection committee usually averages 20-plus teams. This doesn't include automatic qualifiers (so no Murray State or Saint Mary's in this exercise). That's why this is done on Wednesday of selection week when the power conference games are still ongoing.

My first ballot would be:

1. Kentucky

2. Syracuse

3. Kansas

4. North Carolina

5. Missouri

6. Duke

7. Ohio State

8. Michigan State

9. Marquette

10. Michigan

11. Baylor

12. Georgetown

13. Wisconsin

14. Indiana

15. Wichita State

16. UNLV

17. New Mexico

18. San Diego State

19. Temple

20. Florida

21. Vanderbilt

22. Gonzaga

23. Notre Dame

24. Louisville

25. Cincinnati

26. Kansas State

27. Saint Louis

28. Florida State

29. Memphis

I couldn't add a team from the Pac-12 that wouldn't have involved some sort of debate. I would love for the selection committee to reveal its first ballots one day.

• Butler would be a home run addition to the Atlantic 10 if the league wants to maintain its basketball relevance after losing Temple. The Bulldogs would fit in with their proximity to Saint Louis to the west and the Ohio schools (Xavier and Dayton) to the northeast. Adding Butler to Xavier, Dayton, Saint Louis, Richmond and Saint Joseph's would offset the departure of Temple. If A-10 commissioner Bernadette McGlade was aggressive, she would be on the phone with Butler to gauge its interest and explore the "out" for the Horizon League. You can't compare the media markets in the A-10 to the Horizon.

I thought I had been told this by a Butler Grad... Wikiepidia Confirmed: "The court was reconfigured in 1933 from running east to west to run from north to south, as over half of the seats were at the ends of the court, when event viewing is typically better from the sides."

This, and the windows at the top of the flat sides let in a brutal amount of light during afternoon games. Not good for shooters.

I've seen a game there, Butler-Xavier a couple seasons ago, and it's a great venue. That was the sold-out game that ended in chaos and controversy. I had walked around in there before when I visited Butler before my senior year of high school (was one of my final three, with SLU and Richmond), but the gameday experience is much different.

Saint Louis [24-6 (12-4), RPI: 29, SOS: 109] Saint Louis topped off a resurgent 2011-12 campaign with last week's wins over Xavier and at Duquesne, and it seems more certain than ever that the Billikens are going to get in. So why aren't they a lock? Because there are still holes here. Chief among them? That glaring 0-2 record against the RPI top 50. (It would have really helped if Villanova was good, or Washington's RPI was better. Alas.) That dearth of quality games, nevermind wins, is part of the reason this SOS is shaky and the nonconference figure (nearly in the 200s) is even worse. Still, though, odds are SLU will get in. It would take a second-round A-10 tourney loss to either La Salle or Richmond (and probably just Richmond, because La Salle's pretty decent) and some shake-ups along the cut line to see this team somehow miss the tournament. It's not impossible, but it's very unlikely.

How about this bring in Butler, Bradley, and Creighton.

Go with four divisions of four. 18 game conference schedule. Play each team in your division twice and everyone else once.

Bradley

Butler

Creighton

Saint Louis

Dayton

Duquesne

Saint Bonaventure

Xavier

Charlotte

George Washington

La Salle

Richmond

Fordham

Rhode Island

Saint Joseph's

UMass

Can somebody please tell me this constant interest in Bradley joining a league we are in? Bradley is not a good basketball program and has not been for some time. Why would anybody have an interest in trying to sell the Peroria TV market when marketing a new conference?

Can somebody please tell me this constant interest in Bradley joining a league we are in? Bradley is not a good basketball program and has not been for some time. Why would anybody have an interest in trying to sell the Peroria TV market when marketing a new conference?

I too have never understood the fascination of Bradley by this board

I too have never understood the fascination of Bradley by this board

On the positive side for Bradley, they are a good drive game for us, and they do have a pretty rabid fan base averaging over 8800 per game last season despite a 12-20 record. This, of course, works against Bradley being a good drive game for us as tickets very well may be scarce in the 11000 seat Carver Arena.