Temple to Big East Official

Can somebody please tell me this constant interest in Bradley joining a league we are in? Bradley is not a good basketball program and has not been for some time. Why would anybody have an interest in trying to sell the Peroria TV market when marketing a new conference?

They are about as equal a program to SLU as anyone in the past 20 years. Their high has been higher than ours (S16 in 06), but their low (the last two seasons) have been lower than ours.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That court looks crazy in that building..... If you have a long skinny building why put the court accross the short way? Maybe its just the perspective on the camera shot but it looks weird......

As was the case at venerable Robertson Memorial Fieldhouse at Bradley. May she rest in peace. They paved paradise and put up a parking lot/deck...

Posted Image

They are about as equal a program to SLU as anyone in the past 20 years. Their high has been higher than ours (S16 in 06), but their low (the last two seasons) have been lower than ours.

You just made my point - who needs a team that is not going to bring anything to the table other than a small TV market and 8800 tix sold to a game. At least we bring a big TV market to offset our somewhat irradict history plus we are on the upswing and they are not. This point of driving to some away game is nonsense - as someone pointed out we sent 2 bus loads to SIUC this year so big deal. We need big programs who will garner TV viewers.

You just made my point - who needs a team that is not going to bring anything to the table other than a small TV market and 8800 tix sold to a game. At least we bring a big TV market to offset our somewhat irradict history plus we are on the upswing and they are not. This point of driving to some away game is nonsense - as someone pointed out we sent 2 bus loads to SIUC this year so big deal. We need big programs who will garner TV viewers.

Yeah how's our big tv market working for us? We can't get our damn games on tv.

Loyola Chicago brings a huge tv market too...

It's about the quality of basketball, quality of fan base, and the overall appeal of the program.

Teams can rise and fall. But if they maintain a great fan base you can guarantee they won't be down long.

You would have said the exact same thing about Creighton a mere 15 years ago. People said the exact same thing about us in 2005.

-When Temple leaves, if we replace them with Butler, or someone as strong, the league will be perfectly stable.

-If Charolette and UMass both leave then the league should consider itself fine at 12 teams.

-I agree with the above sentiment that there needs to be pressure put on the likes of some of the more uncher achieving programs. Namely Fordham and Duquesne who often get passes from the league because of their good academics.

I just want to be in a conference with Bradley and anyone else who will join. Bradley is the key. We have to play Bradley at least twice a year. I don't know what I'll do if we don't play Bradley.

-why only twice? why not just us vs them in a conf? 8 games there and 8 games here? we could do back to backs like hockey, it would be great, really

Yeah how's our big tv market working for us? We can't get our damn games on tv.

Loyola Chicago brings a huge tv market too...

It's about the quality of basketball, quality of fan base, and the overall appeal of the program.

Teams can rise and fall. But if they maintain a great fan base you can guarantee they won't be down long.

You would have said the exact same thing about Creighton a mere 15 years ago. People said the exact same thing about us in 2005.

First of all, our TV situation has been discussed thoroughly on the board for the last 6 years - apparently you have not been paying attention. Here is the short answer - A10 signed a bad 7 yr contract which is up I believe next year so things will be changing the year afterwards. Chicago Loyola has to fight for exposure with DePaul, NW, IL - we are the only D1 school in StL - I guess you could say SIUE is another one but they are not a factor and I know IL and MO share our market but people will watch SLU if they are on. Creighton has had a strong bb program for some time - I do agree that the Omaha TV market is nothing to write home about but it is better than where Bradley is located. As far as a devoted fan base goes - I agree it helps but it can only take you so far.

How about this bring in Butler, Bradley, and Creighton.

Go with four divisions of four. 18 game conference schedule. Play each team in your division twice and everyone else once.

Bradley

Butler

Creighton

Saint Louis

Dayton

Duquesne

Saint Bonaventure

Xavier

Charlotte

George Washington

La Salle

Richmond

Fordham

Rhode Island

Saint Joseph's

UMass

Obviously, Bradley would not be a suitable replacement for Temple. As a package with Butler and Creighton, I'd be very pleased. Of course Bradley, in all likelihood, would not be allowed to follow into the almighty league to come but in the meantime, I'd take the above. I happen to like regional rivalries, and this would add 3, one of which would be pretty heated from the start from what I understand.

edit: added some commas

First of all, our TV situation has been discussed thoroughly on the board for the last 6 years - apparently you have not been paying attention. Here is the short answer - A10 signed a bad 7 yr contract which is up I believe next year so things will be changing the year afterwards. Chicago Loyola has to fight for exposure with DePaul, NW, IL - we are the only D1 school in StL - I guess you could say SIUE is another one but they are not a factor and I know IL and MO share our market but people will watch SLU if they are on. Creighton has had a strong bb program for some time - I do agree that the Omaha TV market is nothing to write home about but it is better than where Bradley is located. As far as a devoted fan base goes - I agree it helps but it can only take you so far.

I understand the TV issue that gets discussed over and over.. And honestly I agree with the point of your post.. But.. Let's be honest. Given this scenario: Prime time Saturday.. SLU playing ANY A10 team.. While Mizzou plays ANY B12 team.. both on TV same time.. everyone in StL is watching the Mizzou game (not me).. I don't agree with it, but theres no denying it. Mizzou owns the STL market.. The Big 12 being a major factor, but there's an undeniable huge Mizzou following in STL

edit: And I understand your point, there will be people who would watch SLU if they are on, but Mizzou is the icon in our market.