UMass Post-Game Discussion

bk18

Great win tonight. The double digit wins over St. Joe's and Fordham made us look good at the time, but the losses to Rhody and GW made me question how we'd do against teams that had actually won conference games. This win tonight makes me feel better about that.

I'm going to Cincinnati this weekend for the SLU-Xavier game on Saturday. I admittedly was not optimistic about our chances, but at least knowing that we can put together an effort like we did tonight is comforting.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, can anyone give a summary of the 3 technicals? I was at the game but did not see any of the three actual events. Were the first two related to mouthing off at the referees? Or were they unsportsmanlike issues against the Bills?

The third one was a flagrant foul and ejection. I saw Salesich on the ground (away from the ball) but didn't see what actually happened.

When any team has 3 technicals called against them, reflects very poorly on the coach. Did he sit the guys with the first 2 technicals afterwards?

Nope, not KU, but if you want it to be, gotta act like it is. I have no pity for any St. Louis fan that shows up late. Never understood that. Not just SLU ball but every sport. If you want a good seat, especially when it's free, get there early.

I walked right in front of the student section about 20 minutes prior to game time and there were a bunch of students there and the little kids were already seated. I have no idea why they put them in the student section but I can tell you there were a bunch of students there 20 minutes prior to game time.

I walked right in front of the student section about 20 minutes prior to game time and there were a bunch of students there and the little kids were already seated. I have no idea why they put them in the student section but I can tell you there were a bunch of students there 20 minutes prior to game time.

I can verify this as I was at my seat about 40 minutes before tipoff. Students were already starting to gather around this time yet the kids were placed there more than 30 minutes before game time.

When any team has 3 technicals called against them, reflects very poorly on the coach. Did he sit the guys with the first 2 technicals afterwards?

Agreed...I have to give the guy some credit though. He has aged well since his hit performance in Christmas Vacation.

'I don't KNOW MARGO!'

Posted Image

Posted Image

4 Billikens in double figures tonight. A rarity for a team on which no one actually averages in double figures.

Tons of 3s. Rammer said the most in a game since 95. UMass shot 1-9 from 3 and they are a pretty good 3 point shooting team. They shoot 15 a game. It still amazes me how Majerus, even with a bad team, can still manage to defend so well against virtually any team in the country in that aspect, and why no one else can figure out how to do this too.

McCall with probably his best game as a Billiken. Did everything well. Can't wait to see him and Kwamain on the floor together.

Ellis made some good defensive plays, picked a guys pocket on the perimeter, was really active on that end. Still can't rebound but was mixing it up with UMass inside. Finally seeing his shot start to fall.

Evans has a such a good all around game. He had 3 early assists which were all great plays off the dribble. Was in foul trouble but still put up some great all around numbers.

Loe shot well tonight too. Got out to a good early start. Couldn't believe he didn't dunk on that little bunny putback he had early on. He and Ellis are getting better but they still have those soft plays that they fall back on.

Remuken still takes plays off but his play is coming back. He had a couple good short drives and rebounded well.

Jett was the only one who had an off game. Still 3 dimes and no TOs and he had a great block late in the game.

Conklin is being used in more of a specialty role which is better for us because if he is forced to the bench we are playing better ball. Did his job pushed UMass fat guy around and got some boards when we were having trouble rebounding early in the 2nd half.

Majerus was up and walking around the whole game for the first time since his injury. It was good to see his stomach exposed again pointing on the sideline.

4 Billikens in double figures tonight. A rarity for a team on which no one actually averages in double figures.

Tons of 3s. Rammer said the most in a game since 95. UMass shot 1-9 from 3 and they are a pretty good 3 point shooting team. They shoot 15 a game. It still amazes me how Majerus, even with a bad team, can still manage to defend so well against virtually any team in the country in that aspect, and why no one else can figure out how to do this too.

McCall with probably his best game as a Billiken. Did everything well. Can't wait to see him and Kwamain on the floor together.

Ellis made some good defensive plays, picked a guys pocket on the perimeter, was really active on that end. Still can't rebound but was mixing it up with UMass inside. Finally seeing his shot start to fall.

Evans has a such a good all around game. He had 3 early assists which were all great plays off the dribble. Was in foul trouble but still put up some great all around numbers.

Loe shot well tonight too. Got out to a good early start. Couldn't believe he didn't dunk on that little bunny putback he had early on. He and Ellis are getting better but they still have those soft plays that they fall back on.

Remuken still takes plays off but his play is coming back. He had a couple good short drives and rebounded well.

Jett was the only one who had an off game. Still 3 dimes and no TOs and he had a great block late in the game.

Conklin is being used in more of a specialty role which is better for us because if he is forced to the bench we are playing better ball. Did his job pushed UMass fat guy around and got some boards when we were having trouble rebounding early in the 2nd half.

Majerus was up and walking around the whole game for the first time since his injury. It was good to see his stomach exposed again pointing on the sideline.

He may have had an off game offensively but his defense was great tonight. Loved how he kept Gurley in check for most of the second half he kept him out of the paint and made him take some jump shots...Great team win for the Bills!

I thought this was the Bills best game of the season.... Fewer turnovers...played as a team...played more under control at the end...even shot 78% FT. I wish more people had been there to see this good effort. Attendance only 4000.

Man, that was fun. The freshman were awesome, they seem to get better every game. Cody and Rob played with more intensity then I have ever seen. I loved when Rob threw his man to the ground and the other instance when he walked over the big guy. I hope we build on this.

Only disappointment was Roy's choice in outerwear. A purple puffy coat, Roy? You are better than that! Ask 05 where he got his letterman jacket.

i park on the east side of harris stowe so a long walk. i chose warmth over look. that coat is only broken out in tundra conditions like we are in right now. looks like hell but it is warm and if i fall it will cushion the landing.

i park on the east side of harris stowe so a long walk. i chose warmth over look. that coat is only broken out in tundra conditions like we are in right now. looks like hell but it is warm and if i fall it will cushion the landing.

You're forgiven.

Agree student turnout was great. Only problem was that after the student section filled up they poured over into the reserved seats which caused a lot of movement when ticket holders wanted their seats. The students were well behaved but seemed a lot were there because of free admission and didn't seem real interested in the game.

Evolution in action, my dear Watson ....

Roy, in his old age, has discovered the wisdom that makes the decision to choose warmth over fashion the correct one. Eventually, wisdom in all individuals increases.

Prediction: college girls currently in tight pants will eventually choose comfort over fashion as well. That is both wisdom and reaction to the incessant screaming of overtaxed seams.

Good win! We make the A10 tourney now. Can we get a home game? Charlotte made Saturday even tougher now.

Then the students should have gotten there before 5 minutes before tip. Sorry guys, I'm with SLU on this one. Those kids got in the arena about 15 minutes before tip-off... I might have counted 5 SLU students there. Get there early or sit near the roof, that simple. Think you'd get into a KU game if you arrived 5 minutes before tip-off??

got there about 45 minutes early. was forced back 3 rows because the kids kept piling in all around me.

I dont think Jett had a "off game". He got to the basket and missed some shots. Those will come with time, missed shots happen. He still just always seems to be in the right place at the right time, high bball IQ for a frosh.

By my count, walk-on Brian has got in 3 different games now while walk-on grant hasn't seen the floor yet. Does anyone have any insight?

By my count, walk-on Brian has got in 3 different games now while walk-on grant hasn't seen the floor yet. Does anyone have any insight?

I met walk-on Grant's father at the Duke game and he said that he is redshirting this season.

Was that a ZONE I saw in the second half? Looked like one and it workeded. Needed that against RI.

-i thought box and one with switches on their scorer (#13?) if need be

-what is the rule on getting a flagarant foul and playing the next game? CS and #24 were in close quarters for maybe two steps and then the kid just pops CS with an elbow to the head, glad the ref was there, saw it and called it as he did

-it is a lot more fun when we make baskets, isn't it?

-RM was giving a lot of encouragement to the team last night, more so than i remember

-WR was there again, sitting on the sideline side of the tunnel the visitors use

-let's beat X on saturday

Won't lie, raised an eyebrow myself.

Was told the same thing, actually. Sounded like a complicated reason, but basically Gus has intentions of playing, as a real player, either here or somewhere else next year and wants to keep his year of eligibility. Hence why only Daly has seen floor time and why SLU was scrambling to figure out how Gus got a shot attempt and who that attempt should have gone to.

-what is the rule on getting a flagarant foul and playing the next game? CS and #24 were in close quarters for maybe two steps and then the kid just pops CS with an elbow to the head, glad the ref was there, saw it and called it as he did

I wondered the same thing and checked the rulebook. Apparently the only grounds for suspension come from a flagrant that results from "fighting."

I'd submit that a guy that hits another player with a forearm smash 30 feet from the ball is initiating a "fight," especially when the guy he hits is Australian and would have to take 3-4 of those punk Nancyjabs before he'd feel cause to retaliate. (Did anyone notice Christian and coach Harriman yucking it up immediately thereafter. I imagined something like "Bloke wouldn't last five minutes on our football fields.")