Game Thoughts Austin Peay

bk18

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The foul call was bad. I started reffing grade school games when I was in HS and now ref HS games and any clinic Ive been to they teach you let the players decide the game. They tell you not to make calls 30 feet from the basket that are not blatant in the final seconds. Thats the time for the players to make plays not the refs to make calls.

That said it should of never came down to that. IMO they lost to an inferior team on their home court. That is unexceptable!!

Its not time to panic. IMO Without the ten minutes of first half jitters SLU wins this game, and if they played again tomorrow SLU wins this game.

I dont know what Cassity was thinking on that last play. Anyone who has ever watched an NCAA tourney Hilight clip has seen the Tyus Edney play. Thats what you do. Take it strong to the hoop and either make a lay-up, get fouled, have a 3 point play oppurtunity, or miss it and go home with you head held high. He had a great game though, and I was really impressed with the way he played. I know it was only one game against an OVC team but it looked to me that he understands this is his team now and he needs to step up and score some points for this team to be successful. I would of liked to see him get to the line a few times though.

I was really impressed with the freshman guards. They made some boneheaded plays but that is to be expected. Some of their mistakes seemed to be a case of not knowing their teammates games yet. I can remember at least 4 times that a player cut one way and the pass went the other. That will improve with each game they play.

CR: Ugh. what a clunker. He needs to improve a great deal if we are going to have a shot.

Like someone else said I was suprised with the lack of PT for DE. Ausin Peay killed us on the offensive boards, especially in the first half. I would of though Majerus would of put him in to help out with that.

The three point shooting was BRUTAL. CE, CS, RL need to find their strokes or this team in dead in the water.

Believe it or not Im actually more excited about this team now than I was before the game. The problems they seemed to have tonight defense, rebounding, and stupid turnovers I kind of expected but will be improved with practice and games. But going into the game I was really worried about the offense and tonight it looked better than I expected. Hopefully KC will keep tonights scoreres mentality throughout the year and MM and JJ continue to put up some points and continue to improve.

I think as the season goes on CE and RL will find their stroke and this team will be a lot better come conference time.

I still dont expect an NIT or NCAA bid but I think they will be a force by January.

One last thing: DoctorB I apologize. I thought you were nuts but I was obviously wrong with my thoughts about Austin Peay.

I was suprised by how athletic that team was. I went to a lot of OVC games from 98-03 and the only team I saw with that type of athletes on a consistent basis was Murray State. The rest of the conference usually blew.

Sorry to ramble on for so long that game was all types of frustrating a drove me to booze more than I had anticipated.

We weren't embarrassed IMO. I actually think we outplayed them but thats not the point.

AP was on fire in the first half. Made a lot of circus shots througout the game and the Bills had a bit of the yips in the first ten minutes.

They would beat this team on most nights. You just cant dig yourself a hole like that.

Moytoy, they will be back

Westy, no offense, but I doubt you have any inside information.

Even if you are right it won't make a difference. We aren't going to tread water the way we need to in the non-con season to make it matter what we do in the conference season. Short of a 13-3 conference record we'll still be on the outside looking in even if both of those guys came back. Willie would declare for the pros and we'd be back to being in the same positon no matter what.

By the way, anyone notice the A-10 had a horrible night. Charlotte losing at home to Gard Webb. St. Joes losing at home by 28 to W. Kentucky. Fordham and St. Bon also lost. 5 and 5 on the night when 9 of the games were at home simply doesn't cut it.

Yeah, the biggest disappointment was the fact that Remekun looked bad on both sides of the floor. He was constantly out of position on the pick and roll or was out of position on rebounds. We really need quality minutes out of him, and hopefully he gets at least those two things under control.

Another main negative, AP seemed like it could drive to the hoop all day on us, though this was mostly in the first half. It reminded me of all the posts foreshadowing that without Willie Reed no one would hesitate to take the ball to the hoop. I had dismissed this theory as silly, now I am not so sure. Who were the main people getting schooled? McCall, Cassity?

The reffing was kind of to be expected, we had about 7 less fouls than AP at the half, and I always believe refs try to get back to even. Here they just overshot it a little bit, and consequently the calls were not going our way at the end.

On the bright side, Rob Loe looks like he is improving. He actually looked better on defense as the game went on, and he actually can rebound, though he missed some pretty easy ones. And, he made some offensive post moves, they weren't spectacular, but he showed that he can do it. Hopefully, this hints to Cody that he can also play inside.

Also positive, Jordair Jett is a stud. McCall is a stud too. Whenever one of them is in and not the other, that person convinces me they should start. Easy problem to solve, start them both, play them a lot.

Coach needs to find a way to get Evans more involved on the offensive end so that he can get more minutes. He really is the smartest defender, and a player who always seems to be in position.

This game really drove home my belief on who should be the starting five: JJ MM KC CE RL/BC. Really, considering how much PT everyone is getting it doesn't really matter who starts, but this five/six can really light it up.

The heart (Mitchell) and soul( Reed) are gone from this team---as I stated a few weeks earlier it will take everything Rick and his coaching staff have to keep from having his first losing season--- Yes there is talent but they are young(again) and lack not only the talent that was lost but the intangibles provided by Willie and Kwamain---We Billiken fans are eternal optimists but this path was set in motion by the decisions of the SLU kangaroo court---imagine what Rick must be thinking after working so hard to make this a relevant program......and so it goes..

I will hold my thoughts for a few days so that my mother and employer don't disown me.

Probably a wise decision, Nark. I couldn't listen last night, but thanks for all the analysis. However, CE was hardly mentioned. I'm figuring he was pretty much a non entity last night. Wonder why?

I agree with most of the sentiments.

One other thing that has bothered me about the situation. Where the heck has Dr. Chaifetz been throughout this ordeal? If he wants to play like he's "Mark Cuban," where was he to countereact the "donor" tearing down Willie and Kwamain? Where was he when Majerus needed money to go to Australia? Where was he on opening night of what will be a tough season? How can he be OK with this crap?

I watched a good part of this game after my team's game was over. I thought Loe and Ellis showed flashes of solid inside play. They look as though a solid frontcourt tandem can emerge. Both are athletic and long and pretty strong. Mccall is very athletic and talented. Jordair is built like a linebacker but not as quick as I thought he would be. I am a huge fan of Evans and think by the time his career is over he will be one of your go to players. (I am a bigger fan of his sister Janice who was a terrific forward for Washington University and major contributor to their national title this year. Little tidbit many of you may not have known.) Wasn't impressed much with CS or Remekun. I said last year and still believe Jon Smith was the better of the two between he and Remekun. I think you might be well served to start Evans, Loe and Ellis upfront. Bring Conklin and Remekun off the bench. And start Mccall and Cassity in the backcourt although I really think your best backcourt would be to play Jordair and Mccall at the same time. Small but gives you two very adept passers and ballhandlers. This can be a solid team this year even without KM and WR. As for those two, stop blaming the "kangaroo court." Bottom line is these players put themselves in a bad situation and made less than intelligent choices. The admnistration didn't put them in that situation. You need to move on. Maybe they come back the second half of the year, maybe they don't. You will still win games. And next year you lose no one and add John Manning, another tall frontcourt player.

What a bummer!

Caught the game video with Rammer/Earle doing the audio.

1st-I have not seen not seen the transcripts, so I can't blame the court or SLU just yet. With my job at many large hospitals I served as chair on several internal investigation boards so I know about confidentiality and how these proceedings can go.

For the freshmen (especially the bigs), I cut them some slack and for the most part I was pleasantly surprised. I think JJ, MM and RL (didn't see enough of DE) will be very special by the end of this season. JJ and MM will be very solid at the guard positions. Even RL, having first game it was very evident he has tremendous offensive upside. Just he better plan on spending the summer here in SLU's weight room and work on his defense.

Now for CE, CS. CR and BC. CS is a player that looks so uptight and tries so hard that subsequently hurts his whole game. Maybe some meditation or a relaxation session before the game may help. If he does not start getting the ball in ocean soon, he will find himself on the far side of the bench with Fr. Grollmes. CE, exact opposite, he needs kick in the pants. I hate to say it, CE is not the same CE we saw last Jan & Feb. It is like he regressed. CR, I did expect better improvement from him and not just be a backup center giving just 8-10 minutes a game. I recall one incident where CR was totally out of position with him covering the pg on defense. Rammer was screaming at him and was shocked AP did not easily pick up on it and take advantage of it. BC, I think he played as well as he could, it would be nice if he came off bench and gave you that added necessary muscle, but he not type player that we have to play 25-30 minutes.

KC, the one big bright spot, he played great. Now he is going to have to take that task on being the vocal leader the team sorely needs.

One other thing that has bothered me about the situation. Where the heck has Dr. Chaifetz been throughout this ordeal? If he wants to play like he's "Mark Cuban," where was he to countereact the "donor" tearing down Willie and Kwamain? Where was he when Majerus needed money to go to Australia? Where was he on opening night of what will be a tough season? How can he be OK with this crap?

I don't know but didn't RM say someone came in with the $ for 3 charters and the extra baskets? Might have been him.

Tough game to be at...Not being to a regular season game in about a year, I will say it was nice to see the students and overall crowd. As for the game, I just looked at the box score and am somewhat surprised we only had 13 TOs...felt like more than that. Maybe it was just the times they occurred. A lot of them seemed to be at key moments and either triggered an AP run or stopped one of our runs. On the last foul, my seats are on the complete other side of the court so hard to tell. Definitely impressed by a few players and others need some work. Unfortunately looks like we took a couple steps back from last year, but I guess being a slight optimist if this reminds us all a little of the team from 2 years ago....hopefully these guys will just stay out of trouble for a bit. At least we should get a break with the Rockhurst game...that Georgia game could be ugly...

As for those two, stop blaming the "kangaroo court." Bottom line is these players put themselves in a bad situation and made less than intelligent choices. The admnistration didn't put them in that situation. You need to move on.

I'm afraid I can't do that. The handling of the incident has made me question my support of the university and the athletic department. And if it's affecting a lifelong fan like me in such a way, imagine how it has affected Majerus and Moser.

Yeah I was just messing around, to many bud lights during that brutal lose. There is some talent out there but it will take some. The whole time I was thinking how good this team would be with the players on the court as complimentary players. Ellis and Cassity as 3rd and 4th options would of been crazy to think about. I just can't get over it. Can't imagine how Rick and Porter feel.

Our guys from down under were 1 for 10 from 3 point land. Conklin, Loe and Remekun had a total of 5 rebounds between them. The 3 point shooting will have good nights and bad nights. Bad nights we lose. Good nights we've got a shot at winning. I don't know if the rebounding will improve. That can improve with more PT for Evans, but only marginally.

Our only hope is Loe, Ellis and Salecich become the 3 point shooters they are supposed to be. If McCall's shot is as good as it looks and Cassity stays the same, at least one or two of them should be on on any given night. If the 3 point shooting doesn't come through this season is toast. JJ looks like our best inside scorer and he's 5'10''.

Believe me, nothing can describe my utter repulsion for the people that run this kangeroo college. This incident was only the latest in a long series of events. I can't wait until the day my diploma is in my hand so I can give them all the finger. That said, I just can't bring myself to walk away. I am still a student, and college basketball is one of my last pure pleasures left in life. I'm going to enjoy it while I can.

I love college basketball and my Billikens as much as anyone on this board, but dude, there are many pure pleasures in life and it's time for you to enjoy some of them. The cold Bud Select in my hand last night, for one. Three of my kids sitting next to me at the game, for another. The band ruled as usual; how can my buddy Perry's range get better after fifty? Watching the Chinese acrobat lady was definitely pure pleasure. Our great season has been stolen from us, and I am ultra-pissed, but it is time to get off the ledge.

I'm afraid I can't do that. The handling of the incident has made me question my support of the university and the athletic department. And if it's affecting a lifelong fan like me in such a way, imagine how it has affected Majerus and Moser.

I'm right there with you. It is almost as if I feel we deserve to lose because of the U's stupidity. I'm still here because I have doubt the U could be right. I don't think they were but I don't know that they weren't. What I do know is that it was mishandled so badly that everyone involved should be embarrassed.

Last night was no surprise that what SLU has done for years. It hurts to know it didn't have to be that way this year.

maybe dr chaifetz knows more than you.

actually my faith and fanship has been renewed with the happenings over the last few weeks. i think it is refreshing that saint louis university didnt cater to the star athlete and did the right thing. damn right i am disappointed that our team will likely suffer losses this season it would not have had the incident not happened. but the fact is the players used extremely poor judgement and made a huge mistake. there are consequences for bad decisions. kwamaine apparently is manning up and doing the right things to make a return. i admire that. and in the long run kwamaine mitchell might be a better person because of the school's decision. basketball shouldnt be all of our top priorities in this situation.

one thing i just dont get is the anger towards slu. saint louis university was in a lose lose situation. and all in all, i think they did what had to be done. was the process completely fair? by all accounts there were issues. but this isnt a due process situation and saint louis university is a private institution that gets to decide you gets the ultimate priviledge of being a billiken. be it a basketball player or a nursing major. it is a privledge and not a right. and if they want to make up the rules as they go along so be it. imo, while the process might have been flawed, the end result was right.

i keep asking, considering the explosiveness of the situation, why did biondi, may and majerus even let this get to a "student court"? had punishment been doled out in may, in all likelihood this never even gets to a court made up of students and academics to decide. why put the decision in anyone else's hands?

but bottom line, the real anger shouldnt be directed at saint louis university. it should be directed at the players that made the bad decisions. hopefully those same athletes are growing up enough to realize their mistake, do the right thing to be readmitted to saint louis university and the team goes on. if not, their loss. i will be rooting like crazy for the rest of the team that played hard last night and imo showed enough potential to have hope.