CODY CLEARED

SShoe

YESSSSSSSSS FINALLY! I too have to compliment him on his determination through the process. He could have easily said, screw school I'm going pro. I would guess either him or his parents insist on him getting a great education, or he thinks Majerus can help him get to THE LEAGUE.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Kentucky Fried Movie

Released: 1977

Quote: Klahn: We are building a fighting force of extraordinary magnitude. We forge our tradition in the spirit of our ancestors. You have our gratitude.

impressive considering this is probably a movie older than you. i was betting on bonwich to get the answer. :lol:

the one fear i have is that because of this difficult long drawn out process and anticipation, the legend of cody ellis has grown in extraordinary magnitude (five points for whomever names the movie "extraordinary magnitude" was used). i expect a very good player, i do not expect an immediate program changer ala larry hughes or even possibly willie reed. i hope i am wrong, but please everyone dont put undo hopes out there for him or our team.

I am with you there Roy. We still need a reliable outside threat who can play D. JJ I just love, but his D is still not yet there. CS is too inconsistent, and KC is, well, KC. If there are time we play three bigs, I can see things happen with CE posing matchup problems shooting from the outside.

It will just take a while for CE to get into RMs system, terminology, etc.

He will practice with the team a while, they will be able to see what he brings. Do we rest Willie more? Does time decrease for John Smith, Corey?

There is much to sort out. It will be interesting to watch things develop.

mhg

Well, I hear you but I think he is a program changer. I've heard rumors ranging from him being an NBA prospect to him being the best player on the team right away. Who knows whether any of this is true. What I do know is true is that RM has repeatedly said he will be one of the 2 best if not 3 best players on the floor. RM is not quick to complement and say such things.

And Roy, I know you don't believe it but I would bet by years end our starting lineup will include both Conklin and Ellis.

I would bet $100 dollars that conklin reed and ellis do not start a game together.

And the thing that encourges me about Ellis, is Salecich's success. Christian was the most ready freshman coming into the year, and ellis was a better player than him on their australian team. I think he will be the perfect complement for Willie, whereas I dont know if Conklin was.

And the thing that encourges me about Ellis, is Salecich's success. Christian was the most ready freshman coming into the year, and ellis was a better player than him on their australian team. I think he will be the perfect complement for Willie, whereas I dont know if Conklin was.

Indeed, I think that Christian's numbers have been at least as consistent as if not more so than they were during FIBA play. And Cody's numbers were MUCH better than Christian's. I expect Christian's play to get better w/ Cody here, too.

Obviously its well into the season but since they have played in limited action, are JS or CR still eligible to red shirt? I am assuming no, but I have already had some good news today...

Also, as Jimbo mentioned earlier, I am more excited about Conklin being able to focus on fighting people and throwing bodies to the ground than anything. He can really sit back and enforce, piss people off and rebound just like we have all wanted him to.

I would bet by year's end our starting lineup will include both Conklin and Ellis.

(I presume you mean "season's end.") I'm sorry but I don't see that happening. (Unless you're suggesting Willie Reed won't be playing!) In college basketball man-to-man defensive teams need to be able to guard three perimeter players. Which of those three bigs you believe will start can chase a perimeter player around and neither lose him nor get beat off of the dribble?

(I presume you mean "season's end.") I'm sorry but I don't see that happening. (Unless you're suggesting Willie Reed won't be playing!) In college basketball man-to-man defensive teams need to be able to guard three perimeter players. Which of those three bigs you believe will start can chase a perimeter player around and neither lose him nor get beat off of the dribble?

You are probably right but there could be times when we want to create the reverse matchup problems for the opposition. Brian can cover a big guy playing the 3--Cody will probably stuggle defending on the perimeter until he gets our system and is in game shape. But over the last week or so I have seen a number of teams play guys about the size of Brian, and the style of play, at the 3 from time to time. I will concede that most teams play 3 outside guys most of the time and KC or FJ would be much better to defend those types of 3 men. By the way, even though there has been a lot of complaining about KC on the offensive end he still runs the offense well and he is a much better defender than he was a year ago to the point that I would say he is a good defender.

2010...my chance for a new start...gonna show the world who and how good i am...dont like it or dont believe in me...then i dont want to know you...here i come

Per Cody Ellis' status..

Looks like he has a little chip and is PO'd. He and Conklin could become Portman and Fulton Pt 2.

OH BABY

And Roy, I know you don't believe it but I would bet by years end our starting lineup will include both Conklin and Ellis.

i am assuming you also mean that conklin and ellis will also start alongside willie. i.e. willie starting is a given.

well we saw how successfully willy and conklin defended guards and small forwards saturday night. if you believe ellis will have more success guarding those smaller players, good for you. you definitely have a different vision.

and if your argument is that the opponent wont be able to guard our three bigs, with a smaller player on one of them, that advantage of "big" diminishes as the players involve get further away from the basket. and if you are talking about posting the one being guarded by a smaller player, what genius coach wouldnt switch assignments if necessary every time down the floor?

as i stated when we had this discussion weeks ago, that third big better be able to defend a smaller player and better have outstanding outcourt ball skills that go beyond "he can shoot the three a little" to make it work. most players of that skill set are either in the nba or playing in the final four. if ellis is that player, i think our staff would be gushing a little bit more, however porter is on record as to cautioning us to not build the legend of ellis.

now if you want to say that ellis will be starting by the end of the year, i wont debate that. considering conklin's limited offense, beyond put backs and bunnies, i could see conklin being pushed to the first big off the bench which would be a fantastic problem to have as conklin is a good player. but i will contend that in this day and age of basketball three bigs is not the norm and wont happen with our current roster.

To the people that question if Cody, Willie, and Brian will all start some games.............. Which of two of our guards outside of KM have showed you enough to make you think we are better off starting them instead of the three bigs?

You get your 5 best players on the court at the same time.

To the people that question if Cody, Willie, and Brian will all start some games.............. Which of two of our guards outside of KM have showed you enough to make you think we are better off starting them instead of the three bigs?

You get your 5 best players on the court at the same time.

There will be times when we play 3 bigs (they may not start but who cares). It may not be a perfect defensive match-up but I actually think Willie is quick and athletic enough to guard SFs on the other team. As Brian said, our current guard group simply isn't good enough to justify keeping our bigs on the bench any more than necessary, and this includes Remeken and Smith, who have shown real flashes over the past few games.

Guest BillikenReport

I share the same concerns with Roy about people thinking Ellis is going to come in and average 20 and 10 and lift the Billikens to the conference and NCAA championships in the next few months.

I doubt we will see what Ellis can really do until next year, after he's had a chance to be with the coaches and his teammates and actually learn the offense and work out with the strength and conditioning coach.

From the reports I've received, I'm looking for Ellis to be a similar impact player to Kwamain Mitchell and Willie Reed.

I share the same concerns with Roy about people thinking Ellis is going to come in and average 20 and 10 and lift the Billikens to the conference and NCAA championships in the next few months.

I doubt we will see what Ellis can really do until next year, after he's had a chance to be with the coaches and his teammates and actually learn the offense and work out with the strength and conditioning coach.

From the reports I've received, I'm looking for Ellis to be a similar impact player to Kwamain Mitchell and Willie Reed.

I don't think people on this board, despite the excited talk, really believe that Cody is going to come in and carry us to the promise land. I think some of that discussion is a little tongue-in-cheek.

However, I think most of the posters believe that Cody will be an upgrade from our current reserve bigs, even with the late arrival. This will make us a better team down the stretch and give us a little extra push towards possibly the NIT, which would be a helluva accomplishment for a team comprised entirely of underclassmen.

I also think this team is going to continue to get better as the season goes on. Willie gets better every game and I think the three freshman guards will continue to progress.

You stick to your guns on that theory, but SLU's best team on the floor come crunch time should be KM, Salecich, Conklin, Reed, Ellis.

Duke starts 6'8", 6'8", 6'10": Thomas, Singler, Plumlee, pounds Gonzaga.

Who would you bench?

Singler?

Bring in Cassity for better match up?

Since some of the team in the A10 have some bigs and others are heavily guard-centric I think our lineup will be case-by-case. I can see BC, CE, and WR on the floor all at once against teams with size. But I imagine the three would rotate through 2 spots against team with 4 and 5 guard sets.

I must have missed it but I do not think anyone is saying that Ellis will put up 20 and 10. Everyone is realistic and knows that it will take some time to get him worked into the rotation and to understand the offensive and defensive schemes. But he was a big time scorer in a prestigious international tournament against some of the best 19 year old players in the world. With a little time to adapt, I will be very surprised if he is not a solid contributor this year--at least in the 8-10 points and 5 rebounds a game realm.

RM is talking about red shirting him - he said he would talk to him when he gets here about it but it will be Cody's call.

i say the five players that work the best together should be on the floor at the same time... but most often than not that is the five best players in general.

This was a pissy game against UMKC. However, my fear is unless Conklin has Willie's back he is down on the floor too much getting pushed around.

I sure as hell would not start FJ instead of Conklin; FJ and JJ are the worst defender allowing their men to get past them too often.

What is this with us leaving the back door open all night doesn't RM notice that?

BTW, Harriman was interviewed at halftime. He said that he called before the game to check in with Cody...at 2 a.m. in Australia. He wasn't able to get ahold of him as Cody was at the gym.

Very nice.

I know Majerus said that he'd sit down with Cody and talk to him about the possibility of red-shirting, but honestly I'd be stunned if Cody agreed to red-shirt after waiting so long to be cleared. I think he wants to get over here and play.

I agree with the fears that some people might expect him to come over and be Larry Hughes. We don't need him to be Larry Hughes. If he can give us something close to 10 ppg, with some rebounding as well, and basically just be a reliable contributor for us, that'll be fine.