OT: Midtown Development

Pistol

42 minutes ago, hsmith19 said:

This thread would be a lot more fun if we took bets on where Trollkowsky went out to eat for his once-a-year night out on the town. I don't think there's a Cheesecake Factory or Olive Garden in the city limits, so maybe the downtown TGI Friday's?

Hooters downtown. Guaranteed

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

53 minutes ago, hsmith19 said:

This thread would be a lot more fun if we took bets on where Trollkowsky went out to eat for his once-a-year night out on the town. I don't think there's a Cheesecake Factory or Olive Garden in the city limits, so maybe the downtown TGI Friday's?

Ikea

35 minutes ago, Tilkowsky said:

I don't live in Saint Charles - further west.

You can blame the Homebuilders for the lack of affordable housing right?

Where did I say you lived in St. Chuck? All I said about you is that you will be dead soon.

One of the funny things with white flight suburbs is when they overbuild schools for the influx of scared of colored folk families, then those families no longer have kids, the bubble bursts. School enrollment goes down. The buildings need upgrades though so taxes go up. But the roads that were cheaply built in a hurry to transport those frightened folks to their generic vinyl sided 2 story house are falling apart now. So the city taxes are going up too! Whoops. 

11 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

One of the funny things with white flight suburbs is when they overbuild schools for the influx of scared of colored folk families, then those families no longer have kids, the bubble bursts. School enrollment goes down. The buildings need upgrades though so taxes go up. But the roads that were cheaply built in a hurry to transport those frightened folks to their generic vinyl sided 2 story house are falling apart now. So the city taxes are going up too! Whoops. 

I don't think that is happening in Saint Charles is it? They are building a huge elementary school SE of Wentzville.

Just now, HoosierPal said:

TrollPants is trying to turn this forum into Current Affairs Talk, a la the PD. He/she/it is banned over there, so trying to take over here.

Is there a Mod call out feature? Seriously- let's ban this creep. He has a history of trolling and brings nothing constructive. 

I have disagreed with many opinions on this board, politically, in a basketball sense, so on... There are people that post and this board that I don't like personally, and I know don't like me! I've never called for anyone being banned. I actually made the mistake of sticking up for Metz once in the name of fairness! Yet this guy pushes the line. 

9 hours ago, hoppybeer said:

You seem to be a master of alternative facts. Do you even bother to look stuff up or do you just make it up on the fly to try to support whatever point you're making. 

The median annual Police Patrol Officer salary in Boston, MA is $60,074, as of January 30, 2017, with a range usually between $50,027-$70,895 not including bonus and benefit information and other factors that impact base pay.

And according to CNN's geographic cost of living calculator, $40,000 in St. Louis will go as far as...wait for it...$61,267 in Boston. How about that!

13 hours ago, bonwich said:

And according to CNN's geographic cost of living calculator, $40,000 in St. Louis will go as far as...wait for it...$61,267 in Boston. How about that!

You need to listen to Charlie Brennan's show from February 24th.

Tom Irwin the Director of Civic Progress said on that show the City of Boston pays their police $100,000 per year.

I am assuming he isn't lying. Why would he?

Listen to the show and then you can come back to tell me what you think.

16 hours ago, bonwich said:

Bonwich did you try comparing St. Louis to San Francisco, Seattle, or NYC (Manhattan)? Another thing is how nice the places are that this calculator uses? Is the $40,000 living in St. Louis comparable in terms of similarity of places to live with those in Boston? In other words is the comparison valid or are they comparing apples to oranges?

44 minutes ago, Old guy said:

Bonwich did you try comparing St. Louis to San Francisco, Seattle, or NYC (Manhattan)? Another thing is how nice the places are that this calculator uses? Is the $40,000 living in St. Louis comparable in terms of similarity of places to live with those in Boston? In other words is the comparison valid or are they comparing apples to oranges?

They're comparing based on average cost of living expenditures in these cities.  

Average cost of living is generally biased towards the low end of the population, however this says nothing about the composition of the people who live in a particular city. So, let's say that spending $40,000 a year in living expenses in St. Louis (a city based largely upon manufacturing with a majority of the population working in factories or trades, a traditional union type city where hourly wages are widespread) brings you a similar level of amenities and comfort as spending $61,000 or so in Boston (a city largely based upon services where a much greater % of the population engages in white collar full time salaried occupations). Does that mean that  spending $100,000 a year in living expenses in St. Louis brings you a similar level of amenities and comfort as $133,000 would in Boston? The answer is no in both cases because the average income and expenses in St. Louis and Boston are not comparable. You cannot compare average living expenses in a city with a higher percentage of blue collar  hourly paid workers to the average living expenses of a city with a majority of white collar full time salaried workers. The salary and benefits structures are just not comparable directly. Apples to oranges, the same applies to comparing St. Louis with San Francisco, Seattle or Washington DC.  You  cannot compare the averages of different things directly, it is not a valid comparison.

On 3/1/2017 at 8:25 AM, Tilkowsky said:

The City of Boston starts their police at 100,000 dollars. Saint Louis starts police at 38000 - 40000.

"Tom Irwin the Director of Civic Progress said on that show the City of Boston pays their police $100,000 per year."

You're really not very good at this, are you? 

2 hours ago, Old guy said:

Average cost of living is generally biased towards the low end of the population, however this says nothing about the composition of the people who live in a particular city. So, let's say that spending $40,000 a year in living expenses in St. Louis (a city based largely upon manufacturing with a majority of the population working in factories or trades, a traditional union type city where hourly wages are widespread) brings you a similar level of amenities and comfort as spending $61,000 or so in Boston (a city largely based upon services where a much greater % of the population engages in white collar full time salaried occupations). Does that mean that  spending $100,000 a year in living expenses in St. Louis brings you a similar level of amenities and comfort as $133,000 would in Boston? The answer is no in both cases because the average income and expenses in St. Louis and Boston are not comparable. You cannot compare average living expenses in a city with a higher percentage of blue collar  hourly paid workers to the average living expenses of a city with a majority of white collar full time salaried workers. The salary and benefits structures are just not comparable directly. Apples to oranges, the same applies to comparing St. Louis with San Francisco, Seattle or Washington DC.  You  cannot compare the averages of different things directly, it is not a valid comparison.

Yeah, that's why there are at least 100 calculators available to do precisely this.  

But I'll play along. I got a little more granular and ran Maplewood against Framingham. $40K in Maplewood requires $53,905 in Framingham. You have to squint a little, of course, because Framingham is an exurb and Maplewood is an adjacent suburb. But most the adjacent suburbs in Boston tend to be megaexpensive. (I suppose I could run Clayton against Cambridge for a comparison on the other end of the spectrum. And new hires in STL can't live in Clayton or Maplewood anyway. I don't know the residency requirements of Boston cops.)

Clayton would probably be closer to Brookline or Newton in character and location.  Cambridge has very expensive pockets of housing surrounded by not so nice ex industrial areas. The NEECO candy factory is in Cambridge and is surrounded by a very low income heavily Hispanic area. Not everything in Cambridge is Harvard or Brattle Street. The really expensive suburbs in the Boston area are Weston, Dover-Sherborn-Wellesley, the Lincoln-Concord-Bedford-Sudbury areas North and West of the City; and the Hingham-Cohasset-Duxbury areas South of the City. The expensive areas in Boston proper are Beacon Hill, some parts of Back Bay and the condo areas of the Wharf. There are plenty of poor and decaying areas within the Boston metro area.

Anyway, the comparison between Maplewood and Framingham does show a lower differential in cost of living, probably because they are closer in terms of their population and economic composition. Framingham has a fair degree of industry.

You do not have to go so far East to find this kind of differential cost of living thing, look for house prices (and probably cost of living as well) differentials between Rolla, and Maplewood. I would think Rolla is cheaper than Maplewood is.

Wow.  Blue collar v. White collar city determinations seem rather vague, difficult and not too accurate.  And isn't it more about the expense side than the income side?  Who care how much your neighbors make, what type of worker they are, etc.  Instead, isn't it about the standard of living for a cop here in St. Louis based upon $40,000 (and how far it will go toward housing, commuting costs, food, health care and entertainment) as compared to $61,000 in Boston?

Not so Clock, prices always follow the money that is chasing whatever it is that is being sold from houses to food to restaurants. The area near Harvard (Brattle street) went overboard in prices when the University (this is in the 1960s) decided to give a $100,000 interest free loan to their faculty members to buy housing near campus with. When this happened basically the whole area around Harvard increased asked housing prices by an extra $100,000 (this was a lot in the 1960s). It is always like that. Real estate and many other prices increase according to the amount of money chasing them. So, specific areas or cities can get much more expensive than other places. Take NYC with the financial industry and the 7 figure plus bonuses they pay successful employees. Are you kidding me?, try to buy a house in the Hamptons, Westchester, or Nantucket and you will see how little money, in comparison to other people working in the financial industry, you are really making.