OT: Midtown Development

Pistol

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

50 minutes ago, Pistol said:

This thread was pretty peaceful for 7 years.

Midtown, eh? Doing well, right? All right.

I agree with this sentiment. Why hasn't this POS  Tilkowsky  been banned from the board yet? 

He only appears to spew vile and talk smack. I don't get his angle but I think he may actually be some misguided prick who believes what he is saying. Generally we have very amicable discussions on this board. Trash this guy. 

1 hour ago, prebilliken said:

I agree with this sentiment. Why hasn't this POS  Tilkowsky  been banned from the board yet? 

He only appears to spew vile and talk smack. I don't get his angle but I think he may actually be some misguided prick who believes what he is saying. Generally we have very amicable discussions on this board. Trash this guy. 

How do I spew vile and talk smack?

How are my posts not amicable?

Looking forward to your response - which you won't do.

On February 28, 2017 at 7:45 AM, Deutschkind said:

Tilkowsky, If you turn the city into a suburb, it will completely die. The city is supposed to be different than the surrounding areas. It's why people choose to live there. Look at CWE. It's the most dense and one of the richest neighborhoods in the city, but also has the most crime (mostly theft). People still want to move there. There are safe neighborhoods and good schools in St. Louis county, right? Overall it is losing population. 

I don't want to turn the city into the suburbs. But are safe neighborhoods and good schools just characteristics that Saint Charles and Saint Louis County strive for?

Shouldnt the City strive for that as well?

i don't think they are though.

Mayor Slay has sent three bills for stadiums to the Board of Alderman in the past 16 months. NFL stadium, Blues Scottrade renovations and the MLS stadium.

How many bills has he sent to the Board of Alderman(in that timeframe) to increase the pay of police officers and a raise for police officers or more money for public schools? If you answered ZERO then you are correct.

Doesn't sound like safe neighborhoods or schools are a priority to me.

1 hour ago, prebilliken said:

TrollPants has several agendas.  He hates SLU.   He hates St. Louis.  He hates Missouri.  He hates the USA.

I do give him credit for single handed trashing the SLUTalk forum on the PD.  He made it a ghost town.  SoccerTalk is also all but dead thanks to TrollPants.  I do believe though the PD finally, hopefully permanently, banned him from all forums.

10 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

TrollPants has several agendas.  He hates SLU.   He hates St. Louis.  He hates Missouri.  He hates the USA.

I do give him credit for single handed trashing the SLUTalk forum on the PD.  He made it a ghost town.  SoccerTalk is also all but dead thanks to TrollPants.  I do believe though the PD finally, hopefully permanently, banned him from all forums.

I actually graduated from SLU. I wish the soccer team was better. They are dreadful.

How do I hate Saint Louis? Missouri? USA?

Looking forward to your response.

As I have said before you have HoosierPal and whoever used to call himself stlwaino50 on the stltoday site to thank.

3 hours ago, brianstl said:

A third of the Zoo's revenue is generated by property taxes paid by St. Louis City and County.  It is the second largest source of Zoo revenues. Normally it is only slightly behind visitor spending.  In 2015 visitor spending total 41% percent in revenue.  That was a huge increase over the previous year.  The state doesn't fund the Zoo.

Cool. Thanks for the info. Not trying to turn this into a Zoo thread but it seems to me that the other surrounding counties should be participating in the cost. I'm sure plenty of St. Charles and Jefferson county residents visit the zoo.

2 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

Cool. Thanks for the info. Not trying to turn this into a Zoo thread but it seems to me that the other surrounding counties should be participating in the cost. I'm sure plenty of St. Charles and Jefferson county residents visit the zoo.

Yes they should

my wife and I have  been a zoo member since the late 80's.   we love the st louis zoo.   that said, the zoo should not be supplemented financially beyond admissions and memberships/donations.   tax dollars shouldn't go to such venues.  note, it is not my tax dollars as I live in Illinois. 

1 hour ago, Tilkowsky said:

How many bills has he sent to the Board of Alderman(in that timeframe) to increase the pay of police officers and a raise for police officers or more money for public schools? If you answered ZERO then you are correct.

Doesn't sound like safe neighborhoods or schools are a priority to me.

I can't speak for Slay, but I heard the leader in the polls to be the next mayor, Lyda Krewson, speak last week and one of the first things she brought up was the desire to make neighborhoods safer, hiring more police, etc. 

As far as schools go, the mayor doesn't have as much control over them, as that falls under the purview of the school board.

38 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

my wife and I have  been a zoo member since the late 80's.   we love the st louis zoo.   that said, the zoo should not be supplemented financially beyond admissions and memberships/donations.   tax dollars shouldn't go to such venues.  note, it is not my tax dollars as I live in Illinois. 

We used to be zoo members also.  I totally disagree.  The Zoo is one of St. Louis's treasures.  It is a top 5 zoo, because of the funding it gets.  If you take away that funding, then we have a zoo like Indianapolis or Kansas City instead of a top Zoo.  I'm a big believer in lower taxes, but that belief is based upon the idea that taxes should be going to things like roads and the zoo and not for entitlement programs.

1 hour ago, billiCAN said:

http://www.centericebrewery.com/

Interesting approach on their website showing "episodes" of their progress in a video log. I'm not sure I love it but you can definitely track their progress. This is the brewery opening this year at 3120 Olive.

Should be a nice addition to the neighborhood.  More breweries are always appreciated.

4 hours ago, Tilkowsky said:

In 2016 I was in the City twice.

Once for a SLUsoccer game and the other time to go out to eat.

This thread would be a lot more fun if we took bets on where Trollkowsky went out to eat for his once-a-year night out on the town. I don't think there's a Cheesecake Factory or Olive Garden in the city limits, so maybe the downtown TGI Friday's?

1 minute ago, hsmith19 said:

This thread would be a lot more fun if we took bets on where Trollkowsky went out to eat for his once-a-year night out on the town. I don't think there's a Cheesecake Factory or Olive Garden in the city limits, so maybe the downtown TGI Friday's?

There is that Applebee's on the Parkway

1 hour ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

I can't speak for Slay, but I heard the leader in the polls to be the next mayor, Lyda Krewson, speak last week and one of the first things she brought up was the desire to make neighborhoods safer, hiring more police, etc. 

As far as schools go, the mayor doesn't have as much control over them, as that falls under the purview of the school board.

The state actually has controlled the city public school system for a decade.

I like how he talks about the population growth in St. Chuck on one hand, then wonders why the tax base left in the City has trouble supporting its public schools on the other hand.

In all seriousness, St. Charles County is heading for some major challenges in another couple decades. They're already trying to recruit a workforce from two hours away because of the lack of affordable housing. The Trollkowskies will be mostly dead and gone by the time things come to a head out there, but it will be interesting to see how long people keep spreading further west.

How will she pay for it if taxpayers approve the soccer stadium?

24 minutes ago, hsmith19 said:

I like how he talks about the population growth in St. Chuck on one hand, then wonders why the tax base left in the City has trouble supporting its public schools on the other hand.

In all seriousness, St. Charles County is heading for some major challenges in another couple decades. They're already trying to recruit a workforce from two hours away because of the lack of affordable housing. The Trollkowskies will be mostly dead and gone by the time things come to a head out there, but it will be interesting to see how long people keep spreading further west.

I don't live in Saint Charles - further west.

You can blame the Homebuilders for the lack of affordable housing right?

41 minutes ago, hsmith19 said:

Crown Candy actually.