OT: Midtown Development

Pistol

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

17 hours ago, Old guy said:

Cambridge has very expensive pockets of housing surrounded by not so nice ex industrial areas. The NEECO candy factory is in Cambridge and is surrounded by a very low income heavily Hispanic area. Not everything in Cambridge is Harvard or Brattle Street.

I don't live there anymore either but you should get to East Cambridge now.  There is lots of new development and large scale revitaliztion--I doubt there are any large "bad" areas in Cambridge anymore and the lowest cost housing is probably in Cambridgeport (and that is inhabited by a lot of students and young types).  Also NECCO candy is made in Revere;  the factory in Cambridge closed well before I left (at least a dozen years and probably more).

On March 2, 2017 at 2:50 PM, bonwich said:

"Tom Irwin the Director of Civic Progress said on that show the City of Boston pays their police $100,000 per year."

You're really not very good at this, are you? 

You are right. My mistake.

Boston starts their police at $100,000 per year.

Thanks for pointing that out.

Did you listen to what Tom Irwin had to say?

55 minutes ago, Tilkowsky said:

You are right. My mistake.

Boston starts their police at $100,000 per year.

Thanks for pointing that out.

Did you listen to what Tom Irwin had to say?

You realize you can get paid an amount .... and not have started at that amount.... right? 

37 minutes ago, SShoe said:

Microsoft moving its regional HQs to Cortex.  I don't get why anybody wants to invest in the city.

https://nextstl.com/2017/03/microsoft-makes-official-becomes-new-headline-tenant-cortex/

Brown & Crouppen potentially leaving the City due to safety concerns.

Moody's just downgraded the City's bond rating citing weak reserve position.

7 minutes ago, hsmith19 said:

Yeah, Microsoft to Cortex is no big deal. The potential hypothetical loss of a local PI law firm to Clayton is clearly much more important.

Seriously, is this guy even trying anymore?

If Brown & Crouppen leave that is 200 jobs out of the City. According to the link Microsoft is 90 jobs. Net loss.

If there is an MLS team they will take money from the City and play games in the City.

Their team headquarters and training facility will be in the County.

2 minutes ago, Tilkowsky said:

If there is an MLS team they will take money from the City and play games in the City.

Their team headquarters and training facility will be in the County.

Actually their headquarters would be located inside the stadium much like the cardinals and blues. Training facility would be located in the county because it offers more space not safety Keep trying though 

2 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Actually their headquarters would be located inside the stadium much like the cardinals and blues. Training facility would be located in the county because it offers more space not safety Keep trying though 

I like how he doesn't want to count the 60 jobs that really are moving from Creve Coeur to Cortex, only counting the 90 new jobs Microsoft is adding to the region. But the 200 jobs that Terry Crouppen has made vague offhand threats about moving to elsewhere in the region all count, of course.

On 3/1/2017 at 1:54 PM, hsmith19 said:

I like how he doesn't want to count the 60 jobs that really are moving from Creve Coeur to Cortex, only counting the 90 new jobs Microsoft is adding to the region. But the 200 jobs that Terry Crouppen has made vague offhand threats about moving to elsewhere in the region all count, of course.

Losing B&C would suck for the city.  PI lawyers get a lot of crap, but B&C from from everything I hear is a really good place to work.  Plus, they don't get any incentives from the city.  Their payroll tax money to the city is all a net positive to the city's bottom line.

11 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Losing B&C would suck for the city.  PI lawyers get a lot of crap, but B&C from from everything I hear is a really good place to work.  Plus, they don't get any incentives from the city.  Their payroll tax money to the city is all a net positive to the city's bottom line.

I have nothing against PI lawyers. I am married to one and in a previous life I was one. My point is that they have not left, have four years left on their lease, and all that's happened is a guy known for making provocative public statements made one particularly vague one. And Trollkowsky's numbers are just flat wrong.

I really have to question whether you even read my post. Where did I ever say it wouldn't be a bummer if the hypothetical came true? It wouldn't suck as much as it did when Armstrong Teasdale left, but sure, anything moving to Clayton sucks. But this isn't about Clayton being a soul-crushing, job-stealing sucky place. This is about Trollkowsky's irrelevant non sequitirs, logical inconsistencies, and flailing attempts at sowing dischord.

17 minutes ago, hsmith19 said:

Look. Microsoft going to the City is great.

Not going to make the City any safer though.

Probably won't increase the population of the City either.

26 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Not according to Jim Kavanaugh.

There is NO place in the City you could build a training facility. Right?

More than likely they want to shield their players and staff from the City's earnings tax.

1 minute ago, Tilkowsky said:

Look. Microsoft going to the City is great.

Not going to make the City any safer though.

Probably won't increase the population of the City either.

Crouppen's quote in the P-D notwithstanding, the City didn't get any more or less safe when somebody decided to take a shot to that one obscure rapper outside Hooters. It also won't get any more or less safe if B&C really does leave in four years, or before then.

Of course, the County is bleeding population too, and B&C moving there won't stanch that flow. By the way, what do you think Washington or Lincoln County's chances of landing a firm like Microsoft or B&C are, with their safe neighborhoods and enticing public school districts and Olive Gardens and all that?

10 minutes ago, Tilkowsky said:

Not according to Jim Kavanaugh.

There is NO place in the City you could build a training facility. Right?

More than likely they want to shield their players and staff from the City's earnings tax.

Which part are you disputing?

12 minutes ago, hsmith19 said:

Crouppen's quote in the P-D notwithstanding, the City didn't get any more or less safe when somebody decided to take a shot to that one obscure rapper outside Hooters. It also won't get any more or less safe if B&C really does leave in four years, or before then.

Of course, the County is bleeding population too, and B&C moving there won't stanch that flow. By the way, what do you think Washington or Lincoln County's chances of landing a firm like Microsoft or B&C are, with their safe neighborhoods and enticing public school districts and Olive Gardens and all that?

Washington or Lincoln County probably won't attract a Microsoft.

The problem is most of the 90 people who will work at Microsoft won't live in the City.