OT: Midtown Development

Pistol

Look at Saint Charles County. Five percent growth in population without an NFL team, NHL team, MLB team or even an MLS team.

How does that happen?

Safe neighborhoods and good schools. Two things the city doesn't have.

The example is to the west of the City of Saint Louis - why doesn't the BOA and Mayor want to follow that example?

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tilkowsky, If you turn the city into a suburb, it will completely die. The city is supposed to be different than the surrounding areas. It's why people choose to live there. Look at CWE. It's the most dense and one of the richest neighborhoods in the city, but also has the most crime (mostly theft). People still want to move there. There are safe neighborhoods and good schools in St. Louis county, right? Overall it is losing population. 

44 minutes ago, Deutschkind said:

Tilkowsky, If you turn the city into a suburb, it will completely die. The city is supposed to be different than the surrounding areas. It's why people choose to live there. Look at CWE. It's the most dense and one of the richest neighborhoods in the city, but also has the most crime (mostly theft). People still want to move there. There are safe neighborhoods and good schools in St. Louis county, right? Overall it is losing population. 

Don't feed the troll.

1 hour ago, Deutschkind said:

I completely agree with your point, but your crime stats regarding the CWE are inaccurate. Despite having the highest density in the city, the CWE still is middle of the road in crime per capita for the city.  

The creeping nanny state in St Louis county under one party rule is turning it into city-light.  You can't use your own garbage cans anymore and can't contract with your own waste hauler and you need occupancy permits and building permits.  St Charles County, Jefferson County, Franklin County, and Warren County all sound better and better as the cancer of one party dominance slouches outward from the city....... 

15 minutes ago, davidnark said:

I completely agree with your point, but your crime stats regarding the CWE are inaccurate. Despite having the highest density in the city, the CWE still is middle of the road in crime per capita for the city.  

Yeah, you're right. I looked up the stuff again. Mea culpa 

12 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

The creeping nanny state in St Louis county under one party rule is turning it into city-light.  You can't use your own garbage cans anymore and can't contract with your own waste hauler and you need occupancy permits and building permits.  St Charles County, Jefferson County, Franklin County, and Warren County all sound better and better as the cancer of one party dominance slouches outward from the city....... 

Trash cans and building permits? That's the best you got? Yeah, that's some radical stuff all right.

2 hours ago, Tilkowsky said:

Look at Saint Charles County. Five percent growth in population without an NFL team, NHL team, MLB team or even an MLS team.

How does that happen?

Safe neighborhoods and good schools. Two things the city doesn't have.

The example is to the west of the City of Saint Louis - why doesn't the BOA and Mayor want to follow that example?

You probably love the diversity of St. Charles as well. 

1 hour ago, Billiken Rich said:

(I use my own trash can in the county) 

Read a book on white flight if you want to know how St. Charles happened.

Not to mentioned the billions of dollars in infrastructure spending done by the city and county for the benefit of St. Charles residents.  Yet when talk of more money for the zoo or a stadium comes up, everyone in St. Charles stares at their Applebee's and keep their mouths (and wallets) shut.

2017-02-28-20-27-09-991104194.jpg

I liked that documentary by that young local filmmaker a few years back,  Spanish Lake.  The more things change...the more they stay the same.  Just think,  in 350 years,  we'll all be over this.  Ebony and ivory,  post racial society, yada, yada, yada.

Edited by billslasttermdropout
Captioned, so to speak

20 hours ago, Littlebill said:

(I use my own trash can in the county) 

Not for long.  The county mandated automated trash pickup which requires use of giant, annoying, hauler provided, cans.  When your contract is up you're going to have to find somewhere to put one of those things.  It's a small thing but a annoying thing.  One of those little, unnessesary, things that some government jackass thought was a good idea and is now being shoved down my throat.  

I'm all for diversity but that also should mean diversity of thought, beliefs, and political party.  

10 hours ago, billslasttermdropout said:

2017-02-28-20-27-09-991104194.jpg

I liked that documentary by that young local filmmaker a few years back,  Spanish Lake.  The more things change...the more they stay the same.  Just think,  in 350 years,  we'll all be over this.  Ebony and ivory,  post racial society, yada, yada, yada.

I always wanted to see that.  I grew up in north county and fished in Spanish lake quite often.

21 hours ago, ARon said:

Read a book on white flight if you want to know how St. Charles happened.

Not to mentioned the billions of dollars in infrastructure spending done by the city and county for the benefit of St. Charles residents.  Yet when talk of more money for the zoo or a stadium comes up, everyone in St. Charles stares at their Applebee's and keep their mouths (and wallets) shut.

Just curious if anyone knows what percentage of the Zoo's budget is funded by the city, the county, the state, and private donations?

22 hours ago, RiseAndGrind said:

You probably love the diversity of St. Charles as well. 

I actually don't live in Saint Charles County I live further out than that.

Diversity is more than welcome in my neighborhood if they want and can afford to live here.

one thing my neighborhood is though is safe.

The City is not safe.

I get wanting to have a soccer team but the City can't and shouldn't afford it. Not when you call 911 and you get a busy signal at times.

The ownership group can more than afford to self- fund. Interesting the City is putting money into the team potentially and the team headquarters will be in the County along with training facilities. If I were the City I would have insisted those be built in the City.

i give Steve Stenger credit for at least putting a tax measure on the ballot for more police. Something the City should do.

If it passes it will increase the distance between what the County pays policeman and what the City pays.

The City of Boston starts their police at 100,000 dollars. Saint Louis starts police at 38000 - 40000.

14 minutes ago, Tilkowsky said:

Diversity is more than welcome in my neighborhood if they want and can afford to live here.

The City is not safe.

I get wanting to have a soccer team but the City can't and shouldn't afford it. Not when you call 911 and you get a busy signal at times.

The ownership group can more than afford to self- fund. Interesting the City is putting money into the team potentially and the team headquarters will be in the County along with training facilities. If I were the City I would have insisted those be built in the City.

i give Steve Stenger credit for at least putting a tax measure on the ballot for more police. Something the City should do.

If it passes it will increase the distance between what the County pays policeman and what the City pays.

The City of Boston starts their police at 100,000 dollars. Saint Louis starts police at 38000 - 40000.

You seem to be a master of alternative facts. Do you even bother to look stuff up or do you just make it up on the fly to try to support whatever point you're making. 

The median annual Police Patrol Officer salary in Boston, MA is $60,074, as of January 30, 2017, with a range usually between $50,027-$70,895 not including bonus and benefit information and other factors that impact base pay.

4 hours ago, slufanskip said:

Just curious if anyone knows what percentage of the Zoo's budget is funded by the city, the county, the state, and private donations?

A third of the Zoo's revenue is generated by property taxes paid by St. Louis City and County.  It is the second largest source of Zoo revenues. Normally it is only slightly behind visitor spending.  In 2015 visitor spending totaled 41% percent of revenue.  That was a huge increase over the previous year.  The state doesn't fund the Zoo.

33 minutes ago, Tilkowsky said:

The City is not safe.

I guess you don't spend much time in the city?

38 minutes ago, Tilkowsky said:

The City is not safe.

TrollPants, I assume you are very disappointed to hear that both Crawford and Agbeko will receive diploma's from SLU.  We knew about Crawford, but now we know about Reggie.  'Our' number will be 96.2%.  Too bad for you.

2 hours ago, hoppybeer said:

You seem to be a master of alternative facts. Do you even bother to look stuff up or do you just make it up on the fly to try to support whatever point you're making. 

The median annual Police Patrol Officer salary in Boston, MA is $60,074, as of January 30, 2017, with a range usually between $50,027-$70,895 not including bonus and benefit information and other factors that impact base pay.

Charlie Brennan had Tom Irwin on from Civic Progress On Friday, February 24th.

That is where I received my fact.

I am sure the interview is available on Charlie Brennan's website if you care to listen.

5 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

TrollPants, I assume you are very disappointed to hear that both Crawford and Agbeko will receive diploma's from SLU.  We knew about Crawford, but now we know about Reggie.  'Our' number will be 96.2%.  Too bad for you.

Care to share a link from the NCAA stating that?

thanks in advance.