Nolan Berry Transferring

HenryB

Sign a JC point guard wtih our final scholarship or an immediately eligible player. Offer a 2015-2016 scholarship to Berry and preferred walk-on for 2014-2015. Recruiting then done for next year.

Out of curiosity, what makes you think PG is our primary need?

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have only seen Berry play a few times. I always thought he looked soft. I cannot see him banging with A10 bigs. Any opinion on this observation by those who have seen Berry play?

Cusumano tweeted something about Berry transferring because Butler wanted to use him as a center, which is not his natural position. Based on what we already have at the 4 with Tanner/Reggie, would he even get much playing time if he came here? Not to mention, Welmer has already pretty much committed to us...

Are we (SLU) trying to win? RM ... or are we trying to be nice guys? Brad... If we want to win, then we should push our own dead wood out the door (Grandy Glaze) and open up another scholarship. Thereafter, we cut the weakest of next year's bigs and not be worried about class sizes and position balance. Let's stop taking other program's cast offs and let them start taking our cast offs. Now, if a certain diamond in the rough falls at our feet, then take him. Otherwise, we passed on Nolan Berry/he wasn't interested in us a year ago. Since then, his 1.9 points for a losing program are just not attractive. Also, being the grandson of Easy Ed does not help us win games or keep our NCAA Tourney streak alive. Since he is another local transfer, let Frank Haith take him!! Maybe a package deal with the Energizer Bunny!! In the meantime, let's sign a few guys who can actually shoot it!!

Cusumano tweeted something about Berry transferring because Butler wanted to use him as a center, which is not his natural position. Based on what we already have at the 4 with Tanner/Reggie, would he even get much playing time if he came here? Not to mention, Welmer has already pretty much committed to us...

Agreed, I would like to hear whether SLU is even interested in Berry, at this point.

We speak out of both sides our mouth sometimes. We were pretty much all po'd when he chose the Dogs over us. And now because he did it we're so good we can turn down a top100 recruit w/ ties to SLU? C'mon, man, gimme a break, bring him home!

Are we (SLU) trying to win? RM ... or are we trying to be nice guys? Brad... If we want to win, then we should push our own dead wood out the door (Grandy Glaze) and open up another scholarship. Thereafter, we cut the weakest of next year's bigs and not be worried about class sizes and position balance. Let's stop taking other program's cast offs and let them start taking our cast offs. Now, if a certain diamond in the rough falls at our feet, then take him. Otherwise, we passed on Nolan Berry/he wasn't interested in us a year ago. Since then, his 1.9 points for a losing program are just not attractive. Also, being the grandson of Easy Ed does not help us win games or keep our NCAA Tourney streak alive. Since he is another local transfer, let Frank Haith take him!! Maybe a package deal with the Energizer Bunny!! In the meantime, let's sign a few guys who can actually shoot it!!

While I want to win, casting off a senior to be is just not right under virtually any circumstances. Grandy has played very hard and is a good student athlete. Now, if you go to a player at the end of his freshman even sophomore season and tell him, "Look, after a year or two of observation, the staff has determined that you are not capable of playing at the level necessary and we are going to help you find another team", then I am okay. Remember, Grandy even started a few games this year. I think he can contribute meaningfully next year, especially with the energy and passion he brings to the floor.

While I want to win, casting off a senior to be is just not right under virtually any circumstances. Grandy has played very hard and is a good student athlete. Now, if you go to a player at the end of his freshman even sophomore season and tell him, "Look, after a year or two of observation, the staff has determined that you are not capable of playing at the level necessary and we are going to help you find another team", then I am okay. Remember, Grandy even started a few games this year. I think he can contribute meaningfully next year, especially with the energy and passion he brings to the floor.

Agreed. Any talk of cutting a senior to be is very poor taste.

I'd think the coaching staff would only want berry if they aren't sold on either Reggie or Tanner (I highly doubt it) or on whelmer.

Agreed. Any talk of cutting a senior to be is very poor taste.

I'd think the coaching staff would only want berry if they aren't sold on either Reggie or Tanner (I highly doubt it) or on whelmer.

Remember the heat SLU got for Jared Drew (who had other issues)?

Cut a senior, and it will be a million times worse.

If we sign Berry and Welmer, two forards, for 2015 we definitely could use another guard this year.

If we sign Berry though, then we don't have any other scholarships left...

Also, we signed two PGs in this class already (Reynolds and Bartley) and Roby, who projects to be more of a wing, played some point in high school! I think between them and McBroom we are pretty set at the PG spot.

I think we need to worry less about positional balance and focus more on getting top talent. We didn't lose to Louisville because we had too many or not enough of any one position. We lost because they were more talented offensively than we were. If a kid is a character fit and will upgrade our talent level, then I would take him for sure, regardless of position.

Did Butler have so many good 4 & 5s that he couldn't get any PT? Or was he just not as good as advertised?

Not as good as advertised. SLU does not need him now. We have players comparable to him. SLU needs a big, strong, banger who is a strong rebounder. With the transfers available now and probably later (like the one from West Virginia) SLU would be better off to wait and see who may be interested in coming here, imo. He had a chance to come here and he passed on it.

I think we need to worry less about positional balance and focus more on getting top talent. We didn't lose to Louisville because we had too many or not enough of any one position. We lost because they were more talented offensively than we were. If a kid is a character fit and will upgrade our talent level, then I would take him for sure, regardless of position.

Would Berry really upgrade our talent level? Did we lose in the tournament because we lacked a player of his talent? Some of these local players leave St. Louis because they believe they are better than they are and SLU is not good enough for them. Berry still may not want to come here but if he does, I hope the coaching staff passes on him. Better transfers than Berry will be available, and already are.