ISU and Utah EVEN

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/columnists/gregg-doyel/2024/04/02/indiana-state-into-nit-final-as-coach-josh-schertz-considers-saint-louis-job-basketball/73178991007/

After NIT, Josh Schertz to Saint Louis. Right?

Nobody was asking Josh Schertz after this game about the Saint Louis Billikens. No idea what a Billiken is, but I’m calling it an elephant — you know, the one nobody’s talking about.

Schertz or his agent — a distinction that matters more to Schertz and his agent than it should to you and me — has been in talks with Saint Louis about its coaching vacancy since shortly after Indiana State’s loss to Drake in the Missouri Valley Conference tournament March 10. That was almost a month ago, and I'm told Schertz has indicated to Saint Louis he’s coming. It’s an open secret in the Sycamores’ locker room that four of their five starters would most likely follow him to Saint Louis. The one player not going? Julian Larry.

After his news conference I followed Schertz into the hall to ask him privately about Saint Louis, and don’t even think about getting mad at me for that. You want to get mad? Get mad at the coach who’s halfway out the door — not the reporter who asked him about it. My advice: Don’t get mad at anyone. Saint Louis would more than quadruple Schertz’s salary, from less than $500,000 to $2 million or more, and how can you get mad at him for that? Meantime, he hasn’t left yet, didn’t abandon his team. He’s still coaching the Sycamores, and deflecting questions about Saint Louis.

Here’s what he told me late Tuesday night.

“I never, ever talk about a job other than the one I have,” he said, “but I know that’s on everybody’s mind. The reality is, I’m going to take a day when the season’s over, make a decision, and everybody we’ve communicated with knows that’s kind of the plan of it. I know everybody’s speculating, but at the end of the day we’ll finish the season and obviously play to Thursday — which I’m looking forward to — and then take a day. I don’t want to make an emotional decision. I’m going to take a day and lock in on what I want to do and then decide what’s best.”

Coaches everywhere, print that out. Because that’s how you handle a situation as delicate as this. Schertz made no promises and told no lies, and said nothing to alienate either school.

24 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/columnists/gregg-doyel/2024/04/02/indiana-state-into-nit-final-as-coach-josh-schertz-considers-saint-louis-job-basketball/73178991007/

After NIT, Josh Schertz to Saint Louis. Right?

Nobody was asking Josh Schertz after this game about the Saint Louis Billikens. No idea what a Billiken is, but I’m calling it an elephant — you know, the one nobody’s talking about.

Schertz or his agent — a distinction that matters more to Schertz and his agent than it should to you and me — has been in talks with Saint Louis about its coaching vacancy since shortly after Indiana State’s loss to Drake in the Missouri Valley Conference tournament March 10. That was almost a month ago, and I'm told Schertz has indicated to Saint Louis he’s coming. It’s an open secret in the Sycamores’ locker room that four of their five starters would most likely follow him to Saint Louis. The one player not going? Julian Larry.

After his news conference I followed Schertz into the hall to ask him privately about Saint Louis, and don’t even think about getting mad at me for that. You want to get mad? Get mad at the coach who’s halfway out the door — not the reporter who asked him about it. My advice: Don’t get mad at anyone. Saint Louis would more than quadruple Schertz’s salary, from less than $500,000 to $2 million or more, and how can you get mad at him for that? Meantime, he hasn’t left yet, didn’t abandon his team. He’s still coaching the Sycamores, and deflecting questions about Saint Louis.

Here’s what he told me late Tuesday night.

“I never, ever talk about a job other than the one I have,” he said, “but I know that’s on everybody’s mind. The reality is, I’m going to take a day when the season’s over, make a decision, and everybody we’ve communicated with knows that’s kind of the plan of it. I know everybody’s speculating, but at the end of the day we’ll finish the season and obviously play to Thursday — which I’m looking forward to — and then take a day. I don’t want to make an emotional decision. I’m going to take a day and lock in on what I want to do and then decide what’s best.”

Coaches everywhere, print that out. Because that’s how you handle a situation as delicate as this. Schertz made no promises and told no lies, and said nothing to alienate either school.

This is so awkward. I hate this

Check what Hoosier Pal posted coming from a newspaper reporter that interviewed Schertz late last night:

This piece clearly says that Schertz will take a day off to think what he is going to do after tomorrow's NIT championship game is over before making up his mind and announcing his decision.

What this means is that he apparently has things to think about (like other options) before deciding what he is going to do. Therefore you know ahead of time that whatever it is that SLU or people in St. Louis release, Schertz does not intend to declare his decision for another full day.

This may well not be a done deal, one option with no other option available deal, that Schertz has to make up his mind about. Please remember that the information above is from the Indy Star, and it may not be valid, but it may also indicate he has to decide where he will go to, or even if he wants to stay where he is at. We have to wait and see. Whatever announcement is released by SLU or by St. Louis sources right after the NIT championship game cannot be accepted as a valid cause for celebration until Schertz 's confirmation that he is coming here is received.

2 hours ago, Old guy said:

Check what Hoosier Pal posted coming from a newspaper reporter that interviewed Schertz late last night:

This piece clearly says that Schertz will take a day off to think what he is going to do after tomorrow's NIT championship game is over before making up his mind and announcing his decision.

What this means is that he apparently has things to think about (like other options) before deciding what he is going to do. Therefore you know ahead of time that whatever it is that SLU or people in St. Louis release, Schertz does not intend to declare his decision for another full day.

This may well not be a done deal, one option with no other option available deal, that Schertz has to make up his mind about. Please remember that the information above is from the Indy Star, and it may not be valid, but it may also indicate he has to decide where he will go to, or even if he wants to stay where he is at. We have to wait and see. Whatever announcement is released by SLU or by St. Louis sources right after the NIT championship game cannot be accepted as a valid cause for celebration until Schertz 's confirmation that he is coming here is received.

Doyel actually talked to Schertz, per the article, so his conversation should be accurate......Schertz didn't say anything.  As you mentioned Schertz says he will take a day to decide.  He won't be announcing anything from the locker room on Thursday immediately after the game.  Some MBM's will go ballistic.

-I don't know when all the hob nobbing takes place at the Final Four, but if it is at all of use I hope at the latest on Friday evening CJS is wearing SLU gear on a private jet to Phoenix to do whatever needs to be done which I imagine includes hiring assistants and talking schedule

1 hour ago, Cowboy II said:

-I don't know when all the hob nobbing takes place at the Final Four, but if it is at all of use I hope at the latest on Friday evening CJS is wearing SLU gear on a private jet to Phoenix to do whatever needs to be done which I imagine includes hiring assistants and talking schedule

I know a retired high school basketball coach who is in the Missouri Hall of Fame who went to the Final Four every year.  He told me that high school coaches who have traditionally have D1 players get free tickets from coaches.  According to him people approach them to recruit/curry favor and look for potential assistant coaches or assistant coaches look for jobs the entire time.  So, the networking is non stop according to him.  By the way when he retired the seats were much harder to come by.

5 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Doyel actually talked to Schertz, per the article, so his conversation should be accurate......Schertz didn't say anything.  As you mentioned Schertz says he will take a day to decide.  He won't be announcing anything from the locker room on Thursday immediately after the game.  Some MBM's will go ballistic.

Hoosier Pal, this message board is populated by true believers who firmly believe whatever illusion they want to hold on to. Then, at the mere mention of something, whatever, that makes them doubt their "firm beliefs," they crumble. Woe is everything and everybody. This is the way the world works everywhere, the standard procedure. We have not lost Schertz, at least not yet anyways. Perhaps we will not lose him. Perhaps he will come to SLU, with or without players. All we have to do is to wait a few more days. Give the guy his time, he is still a very good coach and he will be valuable if he decides to come here.

If Schertz goes elsewhere we are not going to be in good shape, but this has not happened yet. You must wait for the boo boo to happen before you experience the pain. 

Believe what you want now, but wait for Schertz statement after the game, whenever it is made. Ask yourself, if you were Schertz would you confirm you had had a talk with a reporter about your future and confirm what he wrote about that conversation? It would be a crass mistake to do so before the game. As his agent has no doubt told him, his market value is higher after he beats Seton Hall and wins the NIT championship. There is plenty of time to make a statement afterwards. Whatever happens will happen, and we will find out when Schertz decides to make his statement.