Gibby in the portal

This deserves its own thread. He will definitely be in demand on the open market. Plenty of P6 teams would be interested in having a player with that skillset as a piece of the puzzle.

How hard will Schertz work to try to keep him? Or would he rather have his own guys? Does Gibby want a fresh start? I think Gibby would fit in well under the Schertz system - working with a slick passing big like Avila. Gibby has gotten pretty good at the back door cuts. Also, Gibby certainly would help an offense space the floor if you had him playing alongside a slasher like Conwell, that would be tough to stop.

The sooner Schertz gets here to have those conversations the better. I will be very interested in seeing how this plays out. I would like him back for one more go and end on a high note. What do you think Billiken nation?

My guess is he wants to go dancing. It will be up to him where he thinks he has the best chance to get there. Can a new coach come in and convince him he’s not going to be playing on a rebuilding team? If Schertz is indeed the new guy and brings with him 3 or 4 of his guys but convinces Gibby he’ll play a major role, ie starter, than that might sway him to stay. But if some high rolling NIL funded to the max, he may go for the $’s. A lot of factors to consider for him. Whichever way he goes don’t bear him ill will. He was a great Billiken who put up with a lot of frustrations under Travis. The biggest being missed expectations of the program. Good luck, Gibby. 

From written reports, Gibson has a significant other currently enrolled at SLU.  What grade is Jimerson's girl friend?  If she is still in school for another year, that is one reason for him to return.  If she is graduating and moving on, that presents another issue.  Anyone interested in funding NIL money for his friend?  

Jumping in the portal confirms that he is interested in playing another year of college ball.  Does he want to break Bonner's Career Scoring Record and Hargrove's Games Played record at SLU or does he want more of a guarantee for his only appearance in the NCAA tourney.  He already has the Three's Attempted and Three's Made career records.

Nothing new here.  https://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/slu/gibson-jimerson-joins-other-slu-players-in-transfer-portal/article_ed2aa4f0-e798-11ee-9bd9-6b27d6e2606a.html

12 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

From written reports, Gibson has a significant other currently enrolled at SLU.  What grade is Jimerson's girl friend?  If she is still in school for another year, that is one reason for him to return.  If she is graduating and moving on, that presents another issue.  Anyone interested in funding NIL money for his friend?  

Jumping in the portal confirms that he is interested in playing another year of college ball.  Does he want to break Bonner's Career Scoring Record and Hargrove's Games Played record at SLU or does he want more of a guarantee for his only appearance in the NCAA tourney.  He already has the Three's Attempted and Three's Made career records.

Nothing new here.  https://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/slu/gibson-jimerson-joins-other-slu-players-in-transfer-portal/article_ed2aa4f0-e798-11ee-9bd9-6b27d6e2606a.html

She's currently a junior. Will be a senior next year. She and her parents both come to every home game and sit in the front row of the family section.

cgeldmacher likes this

1 hour ago, Bilzz said:

She's currently a junior. Will be a senior next year. She and her parents both come to every home game and sit in the front row of the family section.

That makes things interesting, doesn't it. Is she wearing a ring? 😁

I'm hoping Gibby will return, especially with the positive vibes that the new coach is already cultivating.  If he gets the cash, I think he stays. 

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

That makes things interesting, doesn't it. Is she wearing a ring? 😁

No ring during the season. She actually looks really young. I would've guessed she was in high school.

Gibson, as well as any other college basketball player in today's stupid NIL era, owes it to themselves to "apply" for a new job anywhere else that pays better, offers better opportunities for advancement (March Madness) and so on.  That is just the way it is, the new world order.  Nothing says his current offer will be superceded but he should still explore all options available to him.

I'd like to see him come back and finish his career dotted throughout the SLU record books.  

8 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Gibson, as well as any other college basketball player in today's stupid NIL era, owes it to themselves to "apply" for a new job anywhere else that pays better, offers better opportunities for advancement (March Madness) and so on.  That is just the way it is, the new world order.  Nothing says his current offer will be superceded but he should still explore all options available to him.

I'd like to see him come back and finish his career dotted throughout the SLU record books.  

Yeah. He was very well compensated at SLU last season and is close with the Chaifetz. I would be surprised (but not shocked) if he is able to get much more on the open market. I'd guess that SLU is still probably the most likely landing spot when all is said and done.

Oakland’s sixth man sniper blew UK out of the water. You can bet the farm Gibby will draw serious interest and some hefty NIL offers before all is sad and done. UVA is offensively challenged and 24 year old sharp shooters don’t grow on trees. He’ll be a top 25 guy in the portal for sure. Our hope is he stays patient and waits to see who our HC is and what his plans for Gibby are. 

14 hours ago, Bilzz said:

No ring during the season. She actually looks really young. I would've guessed she was in high school.

Something something I get older, they stay the same age.

11 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Gibby ranked #7 in CBS top 25 portal transfers. 

7. Gibson Jimerson

Old school: Saint Louis

Shooters like Jimerson don't come around often. The 6-foot-5 wing hit 39.5% of his 789 long-range attempts over five seasons for Saint Louis. He's got one season left to play and should be highly sought after demonstrating one of college basketball's most consistent outside strokes in an unparalleled sample size.

21. Sincere Parker

Old school: Saint Louis

Parker is the definition of instant offense. The 6-3 guard averaged 15.9 points per game in just 20.7 minutes per contest off the bench for Saint Louis while shooting 42.6% from 3-point range. He went for 30 or more three games in a row during one February stretch of A-10 play. That should make him interesting to high-major programs.

A lineup with Swope, Conwell, Gibby, Kent, and Avila with guys like (Julian) Larry, Larry (Hughes), Thames, and anyone else off the bench would killlllll in the A10. 

I've always wanted to see Gibby light it up in a SLU uniform in the big dance...please give me one more chance at that HCJS   

2 hours ago, Bills By 40 said:

A lineup with Swope, Conwell, Gibby, Kent, and Avila with guys like (Julian) Larry, Larry (Hughes), Thames, and anyone else off the bench would killlllll in the A10. 

I've always wanted to see Gibby light it up in a SLU uniform in the big dance...please give me one more chance at that HCJS   

Better score a lot.  That lineup really lacks defensive skills.  Small PG, a center floor bound and not quick, two off-guards that are adequate at best on D ..... do like Kent a lot.

HoosierPal likes this

10 minutes ago, WVBilliken said:

Better score a lot.  That lineup really lacks defensive skills.  Small PG, a center floor bound and not quick, two off-guards that are adequate at best on D ..... do like Kent a lot.

It is light years better than our defense this season.

8 minutes ago, brianstl said:

It is light years better than our defense this season.

Boy, sure didn't see that watching Indiana State the other night when they let SMU score 92 on them.  Will watch again Sunday .... but was not impressed with their D.  Indiana state ranked at 102 in team defensive efficiency so adequate at best.  Of course the SLU Bills were so, so terrible on D so I guess anything will be better than the D they had this season.

20 minutes ago, WVBilliken said:

Boy, sure didn't see that watching Indiana State the other night when they let SMU score 92 on them.  Will watch again Sunday .... but was not impressed with their D.  Indiana state ranked at 102 in team defensive efficiency so adequate at best.  Of course the SLU Bills were so, so terrible on D so I guess anything will be better than the D they had this season.

Which ranked ahead of Yale, South Carolina, Texas Tech, Illinois, FAU, Baylor, Texas A&M, Oregon, NC State, Clemson, Northwestern, Wisconsin, Florida and Kentucky. They finished one spot behind Dayton.

2 hours ago, brianstl said:

Which ranked ahead of Yale, South Carolina, Texas Tech, Illinois, FAU, Baylor, Texas A&M, Oregon, NC State, Clemson, Northwestern, Wisconsin, Florida and Kentucky. They finished one spot behind Dayton.

True but Indiana State is not playing anywhere near a Big 10 conference schedule, right?

22 minutes ago, VeniceMenace said:

True but Indiana State is not playing anywhere near a Big 10 conference schedule, right?

No they are not.  Kenpom’s adjusted rankings have them lower at 110. Slightly worse than Illini’s and FAU’s adjusted numbers.  Slightly better than Alabama’s and Kentucky’s.