• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

See I just read the point of the email as putting people on red alert who would need to be present at an introductory presser. I generally don't think they care or know that the things they do like this have certain optics. Truthfully, I assume that the AD thinks that stuff like this won't be shared publicly.

Well I know some think badly of him and I am not an apologist for him by any stretch of the imagination, but I doubt the big money people are so tone deaf.  Chaiftz made his money communicating with people.  I am not sure May is being allowed to even go to the bathroom without raising his hand when it comes to this issue.

13 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

It's most likely just giving students a heads up who could be headed home early for Easter 

All the more reason for making the announcement by Thursday.  The last thing they want is nobody there.

31 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Truthfully, I assume that the AD thinks that stuff like this won't be shared publicly.

Of course they assumed that. And there’s probably a better than 50-50 chance that someone has or or will soon receive an angry message that this was shared publicly.

slufan13 likes this

4 minutes ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

Of course they assumed that. And there’s probably a better than 50-50 chance that someone has or or will soon receive an angry message that this was shared publicly.

Nothing is a secret anymore if you tell a group.  I know SLU can be media dumb but like I said - the big money people are driving this bus.  

A few takeaways- MN sucks. Come on - get it together! At least put up a fight! Make a run and free Schertz!

I have no doubt ISU is better than several at large teams and would’ve been capable of making some noise in the Tournament.

A lot of attention on Avila and with good reason, but Conwell hasn’t been mentioned much. He is a dynamic scorer- would love to see him in SLU blue.

3 minutes ago, Brighton said:

It would be classic SLU to place all their chips on Schertz and get left out on hiring a good HC.

Once again, it’s obvious this guy isn’t a SLU fan. It would be more like SLU to panic because Schertz keeps winning and they don’t want to wait. SLU should absolutely stand pat with the Schertz situation. They should have a backup plan, but they should stay the course. 

Old guy and 2010andBeyond like this

Just now, billikenfan05 said:

Once again, it’s obvious this guy isn’t a SLU fan. It would be more like SLU to panic because Schertz keeps winning and they don’t want to wait. SLU should absolutely stand pat with the Schertz situation. They should have a backup plan, but they should stay the course. 

Why do some think that Schertz is the only good candidate there is.  I don't think you can put all your eggs in one basket.  The longer we drag this out or stay the course in your words the bigger the chance of us being left out.

4 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

🥱 

1 minute ago, cheeseman said:

Why do some think that Schertz is the only good candidate there is.  I don't think you can put all your eggs in one basket.  The longer we drag this out or stay the course in your words the bigger the chance of us being left out.

You aren’t a SLU fan. /s

Just now, cheeseman said:

I don’t think he’s the only good candidate. Texas Tech stayed the course and got their guy. If you believe things are wrapped up with Schertz, and I believe they are, stick to it. Remember the Bryce Drew story? Drew was ready to sign on the dotted line and May went awol and signed Ford. I think there’s less to be gained from pivoting than holding on for another week and a half. 

It’s not a good look to cheer against ISU. If they win the NIT good for them. Look either way he goes, he’s doing what he thinks is best for his family and career. If he spurns SLU, and I hope we have taken this as a possibility, that we have approached some backups.
A new coach is always a gamble. Toss NIL into the mix and you further muddy the waters. The attraction to Schertz is not only his coaching abilities at this point, but who he might bring with him. He doesn’t want to show up here or any place else empty handed. So, I’d guess he has given a number for what it would take to bring his guys or some of them. Avila for instance is probably attracting interest from some bigs. If UL really wants Schertz there’s little likelihood we could match UL for him and Avila, et al. I’d also bet Schertz has discussed this with his guys and has got their input on how much it will take and where they’d prefer to showcase themselves. If he’s UL guy, he and his guys that come with him are gonna face an uphill battle in the ACC. Duke, UNC, UVA, NCST, et al ain’t the MVC. Is UL counting on a starting MVC lineup to really be competitive right out of the gate in the ACC? I think not. And if they don’t get it turned around quickly their fan base is gonna be PO’d. Still, it’s Schertz’s decision. Good luck, he seems like a decent guy. 

5 minutes ago, slu72 said:

It’s not a good look to cheer against ISU. If they win the NIT good for them. Look either way he goes, he’s doing what he thinks is best for his family and career. If he spurns SLU, and I hope we have taken this as a possibility, that we have approached some backups.
A new coach is always a gamble. Toss NIL into the mix and you further muddy the waters. The attraction to Schertz is not only his coaching abilities at this point, but who he might bring with him. He doesn’t want to show up here or any place else empty handed. So, I’d guess he has given a number for what it would take to bring his guys or some of them. Avila for instance is probably attracting interest from some bigs. If UL really wants Schertz there’s little likelihood we could match UL for him and Avila, et al. I’d also bet Schertz has discussed this with his guys and has got their input on how much it will take and where they’d prefer to showcase themselves. If he’s UL guy, he and his guys that come with him are gonna face an uphill battle in the ACC. Duke, UNC, UVA, NCST, et al ain’t the MVC. Is UL counting on a starting MVC lineup to really be competitive right out of the gate in the ACC? I think not. And if they don’t get it turned around quickly their fan base is gonna be PO’d. Still, it’s Schertz’s decision. Good luck, he seems like a decent guy. 

If ISU wins the NIT and we still get Schertz, it looks like an even better hire for us, so I don't know why anyone would cheer against them.

28 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

I don’t think he’s the only good candidate. Texas Tech stayed the course and got their guy. If you believe things are wrapped up with Schertz, and I believe they are, stick to it. Remember the Bryce Drew story? Drew was ready to sign on the dotted line and May went awol and signed Ford. I think there’s less to be gained from pivoting than holding on for another week and a half. 

If Schertz is locked up yes but unless he is, you can't keep just waiting on the come.  May did not go AWOL he always wanted Ford.  He was excited about how Ford was willing to coach for free basically for the first couple of years.  I watched the ISU/MN game today and ISU looked pretty good, but I am not the only one who saw today's performance.  By the way we aren't TT in a Power 5 conference.  

26 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Schertz does not appear to be in Louisville’s top 3.  He is going to be the Billikens coach.

21 minutes ago, CenHudDude said:

Schertz does not appear to be in Louisville’s top 3.  He is going to be the Billikens coach.

I just read that on CBS sports. Not mentioned in any of the P6 openings. 

4 minutes ago, slu72 said:

I just read that on CBS sports. Not mentioned in any of the P6 openings. 

Interesting but of course that could change.  I still think there is a good chance that if SLU announces on Tuesday - Thursday that it won't be Schertz unless he loses the next round.  If he wins then it won't be unless they are only pulling our chains which I guess is still a possibility.

8 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Interesting but of course that could change.  I still think there is a good chance that if SLU announces on Tuesday - Thursday that it won't be Schertz unless he loses the next round.  If he wins then it won't be unless they are only pulling our chains which I guess is still a possibility.

They can always send out an email saying the announcement has been delayed.  This email just makes sure their enough people available if ISU loses and they can announce next week.

kshoe and CenHudDude like this

Let's think about this in real terms. Schertz is a good coach with a very good team but does not make a lot of money. He likes his team and likes the school and possibly the city as well. Indiana state is trying as hard as it can to keep in, that means more money. As far as I know the team likes him a lot. 

He has done very well in the NIT and has won every game he has played. I think it is a real possibility that he wins the NIT. I think he would have come here if he had been beaten by other school already, but that is not the case. He is likely seeing new interest from other schools, so he has options. He is a good coach and a good guy. May, on the other hand is not a very capable person. 

I do not trust May, and Schertz may or may not have other options.