3 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

Can players have multiyear deals?  If so, can they be enforced?  Now you've got me thinking.

No clue.  But imagine having a coach who could land diamond in the rough types, only to make money when bigger schools come in and pay the buyout. May be what saves smaller schools 

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, gobillsgo said:

It is truly hilarious that the same posters that defended Ford until it became clear his position as coach was indefensible, are now the ones saying Ahearn could be the answer.  And throwing water on Schertz, when he very clearly is our best option. Is he guaranteed to succeed?  No.  Does Schertz arriving along with 3-5 players from a team that was ranked last year while playing in the MVC give us a better chance at success than a guy who’s never coached in college?  You don’t have to be a genius to figure out that one. 

It's just bizarre to me but it does show that they consistently have bad judgement. Why not advocate for another candidate?  Brey, Devries, et al?

I think I'm done addressing it.  Horse has been dead a while. It's a new twist on SLU to MVC argument.

3 minutes ago, wgstl said:

No clue.  But imagine having a coach who could land diamond in the rough types, only to make money when bigger schools come in and pay the buyout. May be what saves smaller schools 

Deals aren't with the schools and collectives can't guarantee you'll be eligible or get playing time. Players can be cut. But I'm not a contract lawyer and not sure what stipulations can be put into NIL representation tied to playing a sport in a specific geographic location.

6 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Deals aren't with the schools and collectives can't guarantee you'll be eligible or get playing time. Players can be cut. But I'm not a contract lawyer and not sure what stipulations can be put into NIL representation tied to playing a sport in a specific geographic location.

Ya I dont think any of that nonsense I mentioned would work right now, but a lot will change in a few years.  And perhaps its the NIL that will make money off of the players leaving through a buyout.  Would still help the smaller schools anyway

I want the new coach to be a Cubs fan. I want the new coach dislike Imo's. I want the new coach to think toasted ravioli is the weirdest thing on earth. I want the new coach to prefer Olive Garden over the Hill. I want the new coach to have nothing to do with St Louis. There is no Duquesne fan out there talking up Ahearn's credentials and saying he'd be a good fit there when Dambrot retires. Anyone who wants Ahearn to be SLU's coach thinks that because he's local and then any qualifications are just stretches to justify that want. 

Give me Schertz. Maybe he ends up being a total flop. Maybe he ends up taking the best of his ISU roster and combines it with a strong NIL program and makes the Sweet 16 in year one. You can never predict it. But if Blake Ahearn was from Kansas City and went to Missouri St, nobody would consider him a candidate. 

Guys like Frank and the Ahearn family don't care about SLU. They care about Blake. And that is perfectly fine. NBA coaches who may or may not have vouched for Blake don't know anything about SLU's program or likely even the A10. They also care about Blake and only Blake. And again that is perfectly fine. But it's amazing that people can't see through that facade. 

ISU fans are in meltdown mode about Schertz and their roster leaving. National college basketball experts have hyped Schertz all year. Those people are raving about the potential match for Schertz and SLU.

Sycamore board Recap of the Schertz interview on Dakich this morning:

I heard it. Most of the interview was about the committee and missing the tournament and preparing for the NIT. At the very end DD asked him about the SLU rumors and he sort of fumbled a bit and they went into the typical "there are always rumors" "I'm focused on now" but did say that at the end of the season he would sit down and review offers and make a decision that is best for him and his family.

Love where this poster’s head is at. Although if players plan on following Schertz to SLU I don’t see him leaving them behind to play in the NIT:

So there is a school of thought that it would be best for all involved if HCJS would announce his departure today and leave for SLU tomorrow and not coach the NIT. That way he can start working the portal for SLU immediately and Angie can name Graves interim and he can start working the portal for ISU. Everything I've heard is that Graves is a really good recruiter so tag him interim with a whisper campaign that he is the HC in waiting and get to work.....just a thought.

slufan13 likes this

3 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

I want the new coach to be a Cubs fan. I want the new coach dislike Imo's. I want the new coach to think toasted ravioli is the weirdest thing on earth. I want the new coach to prefer Olive Garden over the Hill. I want the new coach to have nothing to do with St Louis. 

Hey hey hey slowdown.  You already got posters coming for you. Don't get Cusamano after you.  Don't go on any deep sea fishing trips with friends of Frank, capiche?

4 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

I heard it. Most of the interview was about the committee and missing the tournament and preparing for the NIT. At the very end DD asked him about the SLU rumors and he sort of fumbled a bit and they went into the typical "there are always rumors" "I'm focused on now" but did say that at the end of the season he would sit down and review offers and make a decision that is best for him and his family.

Love where this poster’s head is at. Although if players plan on following Schertz to SLU I don’t see him leaving them behind to play in the NIT:

So there is a school of thought that it would be best for all involved if HCJS would announce his departure today and leave for SLU tomorrow and not coach the NIT. That way he can start working the portal for SLU immediately and Angie can name Graves interim and he can start working the portal for ISU. Everything I've heard is that Graves is a really good recruiter so tag him interim with a whisper campaign that he is the HC in waiting and get to work.....just a thought.

Yeah I'd say let's just do that and get it done. 

25 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Wouldn’t HHCJS (hypothetical head coach Josh Schertz) push May to bring his own staff and give Graves the opportunity to stay on as an assistant for more money at SLU than he’d make as an interim HC at ISU?? Just curious. 

33 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Hey hey hey slowdown.  You already got posters coming for you. Don't get Cusamano after you.  Don't go on any deep sea fishing trips with friends of Frank, capiche?

haha

1 hour ago, TheA_Bomb said:

It's just bizarre to me but it does show that they consistently have bad judgement. Why not advocate for another candidate?  Brey, Devries, et al?

I think I'm done addressing it.  Horse has been dead a while. It's a new twist on SLU to MVC argument.

DeVries would make a lot of sense and i could see people arguing for DeVries, Wade, others instead of Schertz. That would make sense.

The goal here isn't to make sense or to oppose Schertz; it's to oppose SLU basketball as a whole and turn it into a social club with easy access to golf carts; no riff raff in the concourse; and easy talk on AM radio.

That's what this is about. These guys tried to take SLU into D2 with the Ekker disaster. They complained when we hired Rickma. They demanded Jim Crews be retained. Now they complain when Ford gets fired and demand someone who will lose like they want.

21 minutes ago, thatskablamo said:

Wouldn’t HHCJS (hypothetical head coach Josh Schertz) push May to bring his own staff and give Graves the opportunity to stay on as an assistant for more money at SLU than he’d make as an interim HC at ISU?? Just curious. 

50/50

52 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

I don't blame ISU fans for melting down. I think they should be more realistic about the opportunities though and make the right hire. They just had their Majerus. They need to go find another winner.

That program is hot and they are talking winner levels of money. They need that energy to stay. SLU is and was always going to outbid them. we paid 2.5 mil for a has-been like CTF. and if JS wins here we will get outbid by Louisville or Baylor or UCLA or whatever. Then we will be up for finding another winner.

46 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

Yeah I'd say let's just do that and get it done. 

My guess is the hold up with getting it done right now is that SLU can't actually buyout Schertz until their season is over.  To buy him out before that would require ISU to agree to it and that is probably going to cost SLU more than his $250,000 buyout.

Just now, Soderball said:

DeVries would make a lot of sense and i could see people arguing for DeVries, Wade, others instead of Schertz. That would make sense.

The goal here isn't to make sense or to oppose Schertz; it's to oppose SLU basketball as a whole and turn it into a social club with easy access to golf carts; no riff raff in the concourse; and easy talk on AM radio.

That's what this is about. These guys tried to take SLU into D2 with the Ekker disaster. They complained when we hired Rickma. They demanded Jim Crews be retained. Now they complain when Ford gets fired and demand someone who will lose like they want.

Possibly.

Those names you mentioned are more worthy of debate. Wonder where Devries ends up? Drake has a little more pull than ISU but he's probably bouncing.

I was wondering why Otzelberger hasn't been mentioned as a candidate for the big openings. It appears his buyout is prohibitive.  Now think of this in terms of how much we were paying, this is a dude that just destroyed the #1 team and is a 2 seed.  

From the AP 12 April 2023

"Otzelberger's annual salary will increase from $2 million to $2.5 million on July 1, $3 million in 2024 and $3.5 million in 2025. He will receive $100,000 increases each of the following years."  Extended through 2029

3 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Possibly.

Those names you mentioned are more worthy of debate. Wonder where Devries ends up? Drake has a little more pull than ISU but he's probably bouncing.

I was wondering why Otzelberger hasn't been mentioned as a candidate for the big openings. It appears his buyout is prohibitive.  Now think of this in terms of how much we were paying, this is a dude that just destroyed the #1 team and is a 2 seed.  

"Otzelberger's annual salary will increase from $2 million to $2.5 million on July 1, $3 million in 2024 and $3.5 million in 2025. He will receive $100,000 increases each of the following years."  Extended through 2029

Ford's tenure here was awful. 2-11 vs VCU. 5-12(?) vs Dayton. 0 wins over top 25. 1 bid from a tournament win(not an at-large) and look at what we paid him. Guy was a flop. Survived as long as he did because of AD ineptitude, COVID, and local recruits who you and i could have kept.

I am convinced that noone wants retreads. NIL money and up-and-coming coaches are the future. Up-or-out is the way forward.

I don't even think the long-timers are really the way anymore. Mark Few barely made it this year.

The Valley Sucks likes this

11 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Possibly.

We picked Ford over Otzelberger.

4 minutes ago, brianstl said:

We picked Ford over Otzelberger.

Why you gotta go and do that? Huh? Man what could've been.

I think the job he's done this year at Iowa State has been amazing.  

22 minutes ago, Soderball said:

I don't blame ISU fans for melting down. I think they should be more realistic about the opportunities though and make the right hire. They just had their Majerus. They need to go find another winner.

That program is hot and they are talking winner levels of money. They need that energy to stay. SLU is and was always going to outbid them. we paid 2.5 mil for a has-been like CTF. and if JS wins here we will get outbid by Louisville or Baylor or UCLA or whatever. Then we will be up for finding another winner.

You can’t blame ISU fans for melting down.  Imagine this scenario:  After Selection Sunday in 2012, as SLU gets ready for the Big Dance, a NY post sportswriter says that he has it on good authority that Coach Majerus was signing with St John’s University and taking his starting five with him. Steve wouldn’t be able to keep Billikens.com up and running with all the insane posts from us MBMs. I know that scenario wasn’t possible in 2012, but this board would have gone nuts if that was reported.  It would make the current posts on sycamore pride look quite rational by comparison.

6 minutes ago, CenHudDude said:

You can’t blame ISU fans for melting down.  Imagine this scenario:  After Selection Sunday in 2012, as SLU gets ready for the Big Dance, a NY post sportswriter says that he has it on good authority that Coach Majerus was signing with St John’s University and taking his starting five with him. Steve wouldn’t be able to keep Billikens.com up and running with all the insane posts from us MBMs. I know that scenario wasn’t possible in 2012, but this board would have gone nuts if that was reported.  It would make the current posts on sycamore pride look quite rational by comparison.

totally agree.   the fact the sycamore fans are upset only proves this is a good move if the Billikens can finish the deal and bring Josh to Saint Louis University.   

54 minutes ago, brianstl said:

My guess is the hold up with getting it done right now is that SLU can't actually buyout Schertz until their season is over.  To buy him out before that would require ISU to agree to it and that is probably going to cost SLU more than his $250,000 buyout.

I know this is a technicality but I thought the NCAA prohibited the new school from paying the buy out.  Now how the coach gets the money and from what individual is something that may be easily covered up.

21 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

totally agree.   the fact the sycamore fans are upset only proves this is a good move if the Billikens can finish the deal and bring Josh to Saint Louis University.   

Not knocking Shertz but 3 or so years ago people were melting down when they thought Ford was being possibly courted by another school.  I get why their board may be melting down but nobody has a crystal ball either.

27 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Not knocking Shertz but 3 or so years ago people were melting down when they thought Ford was being possibly courted by another school.  I get why their board may be melting down but nobody has a crystal ball either.

People keep saying this but it was like 3 people doing that

TheA_Bomb likes this