SLU Men's Basketball Head Coaching Candidates

3 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

I think you nailed it in your last sentence. That and more opportunity. Getting snubbed this year might not have only saved us money and trouble with other suitors, but also made a move more imperative in his mind. 

Something really important to keep in mind is that the AD who hired him is gone, with an interim in place. The president is on the way out as well. There’s a lot of uncertainty regarding the future leadership of ISU, with those two spots as an unknown. My hunch is that his plan has been to get out for several months now, regardless of what type of raise Indiana State can come up with. 

ACE likes this

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

25 minutes ago, johnbj14 said:

Something really important to keep in mind is that the AD who hired him is gone, with an interim in place. The president is on the way out as well. There’s a lot of uncertainty regarding the future leadership of ISU, with those two spots as an unknown. My hunch is that his plan has been to get out for several months now, regardless of what type of raise Indiana State can come up with. 

Big upgrade in pay and facilities. Upgrade in city and conference.  

I understand Sycamore fans asking why not stay another year and then jump to a P6 job.  But ya never know.  No time like the present and there's no guarantees next year will be a winner. Plus if he's a winner at SLU he can still jump see D. Sprinkles at USU he's likely gone after 1 year.

44 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

I think someone posted that Schertz will make 1.1 or so next year at ISU.  If this is true he won't come for a million or even this same amount.  I would figure we will have to get up into the 1.8-2 million range to lure him away.  Now if he thinks the facilities and the upside is here over ISU then a little less may make it happen but not a million.

With the way this all went down, I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up getting close to what Travis was making.  The fact that SLU reached terms as quickly as it appears they have with Schertz makes me think some people are throwing around big time dollars not just for the the coach, but NIL and everything else.  It feels like it is full court press mode to get into the Big East as quickly as possible.  SLU is going to spend on everything like a Big East basketball program to show it belongs as a Big East program. It feels like at least some people realize the clock is ticking down and SLU has ground to make up.

2 minutes ago, SLURadioBoy said:

There is a person on the Indiana State board who claims they’ve heard the same thing as Trilly, but Vanderbilt is still in the mix and a Big 12 team.

Schertz to Vandy and Mack to SLU? 😈😈

3 minutes ago, brianstl said:

It feels like it is full court press mode to get into the Big East as quickly as possible.  SLU is going to spend on everything like a Big East basketball program to show it belongs as a Big East program. It feels like at least some people realize the clock is ticking down and SLU has ground to make up.

100%.  A lot of people think that ship sailed, I do not, but time isn't on our side. Between The big 3 fighting for that spot, neither have all 4-  Tv market, facilities, NIL/spending, winning. SLU has a better chance of getting the last one, than Dayton and VCU have of getting the first one. 

2 minutes ago, BrettJollyComedyHour said:

Schertz to Vandy and Mack to SLU? 😈😈

Schertz is a smoke screen for Mack.  SLU playing it right. 

2 hours ago, gobillsgo said:

I think we need to stop primarily looking for this type of coach, at least while we are still in the A10. If Schertz comes in and turns us into a regional hoops power and stays for 30 years, awesome. But there’s nothing wrong with consistently getting to VCU’s level either. Hiring up and comers and moving them on to bigger programs every 3-4 years after a few NCAA tournaments is nothing to scoff at for an A10 program. Obviously we’d all like more than that, but that’s a good place to start. I don’t think willingness to stay for 20+ years should be a main criteria in our coaching search. 

I wasn’t saying we’re actually looking for a Few. It would be nice if we got one and he won like a Few and a Bennet, but it would be a naive question to ask a candidate, ie will you stay if you win? But we should do our best to keep a winner happy and comfortable. 

gobillsgo likes this

3 minutes ago, brianstl said:

With the way this all went down, I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up getting close to what Travis was making.  The fact that SLU reached terms as quickly as it appears they have with Schertz makes me think some people are throwing around big time dollars not just for the the coach, but NIL and everything else.  It feels like it is full court press mode to get into the Big East as quickly as possible.  SLU is going to spend on everything like a Big East basketball program to show it belongs as a Big East program. It feels like at least some people realize the clock is ticking down and SLU has ground to make up.

Agree re: salary. He could return next season with his entire starting 5, a $800K salary (230% increase), and the chance to have an even more successful season than this one. Stock would be even higher and phone calls from P5 schools would be flowing like the salmon of Capistrano. It's a risk for sure but a low one at that. Not sure $1.5M would get me to sign on the dotted line.

BE ship has sailed in my opinion. Unless we can reel off a few very deep tourney appearances over the next 5 years and even then, not sure it moves the needle for the BE. I see our only chance of playing in the BE as a reactionary move by the BE, not a proactive one.

Or a few whales decide to go the SMU route (albeit on a much smaller scale). Come on, Dr. C, the NBA thing isn't going to happen. Make SLU your NBA team. Let's get them to the BE!

21 minutes ago, SLURadioBoy said:

There is a person on the Indiana State board who claims they’ve heard the same thing as Trilly, but Vanderbilt is still in the mix and a Big 12 team.

Went down an X rabbit hole the other night and some d bag Vandy guy said Mack to Vandy was a sure thing and that he'd be bringing on Matt McCall as an assistant coach. Valid post or not, I thought the McCall thing was interesting since a few on here had suggested in the past that SLU bring on McCall as an assistant. 

Watched the interview w/his players. They seem to really like and respect him. I’m sure he has a feel for what kind of $$’s it would take to get them to follow. SLU should have a good idea of what kind of NIL $$’s they’d need to make them Billikens. 

7 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Went down an X rabbit hole the other night and some d bag Vandy guy said Mack to Vandy was a sure thing and that he'd be bringing on Matt McCall as an assistant coach. Valid post or not, I thought the McCall thing was interesting since a few on here had suggested in the past that SLU bring on McCall as an assistant. 

Wish he would stay doing what he's doing now, I like him. 

10 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Agree re: salary. He could return next season with his entire starting 5, a $800K salary (230% increase), and the chance to have an even more successful season than this one. Stock would be even higher and phone calls from P5 schools would be flowing like the salmon of Capistrano. It's a risk for sure but a low one at that. Not sure $1.5M would get me to sign on the dotted line.

BE ship has sailed in my opinion. Unless we can reel off a few very deep tourney appearances over the next 5 years and even then, not sure it moves the needle for the BE. I see our only chance of playing in the BE as a reactionary move by the BE, not a proactive one.

Or a few whales decide to go the SMU route (albeit on a much smaller scale). Come on, Dr. C, the NBA thing isn't going to happen. Make SLU your NBA team. Let's get them to the BE!

I've been of that opinion for some time myself, but I don't think that is the case for important people at and around SLU.  I don't think they believe they are on the doorstep of an invite, but they think they can make it happen and maybe more importantly they think they have to make it happen.

Just now, brianstl said:

I've been of that opinion for some time myself, but I don't think that is the case for important people at and around SLU.  I don't think they believe they are on the doorstep of an invite, but they think they can make it happen and maybe more importantly they think they have to make it happen.

And ultimately that is all the matters. No one cares what my opinion is!

brianstl likes this

36 minutes ago, slu72 said:

I wasn’t saying we’re actually looking for a Few. It would be nice if we got one and he won like a Few and a Bennet, but it would be a naive question to ask a candidate, ie will you stay if you win? But we should do our best to keep a winner happy and comfortable. 

Worry about them staying after. You're not getting an honest response to that question in an interview, not even worth asking IMO. 

1 hour ago, brianstl said:

This is an interesting theory - of course one we all hope is true.

Perhaps the recent "snubbing" of the Big East will spark expansion talk. Also, for some time, I've felt like the expansion of other conferences would eventually make its way to the Big East. I know these were all prompted by football, but maybe the Big East will feel they need to grow as well.

Next year, the Big 10 will be at 18; ACC at 17; the SEC and B12 to 14; it seems Oregon State and Washington State to the MWC will be inevitable bringing it to 14 teams.

Having 14 or even 16 teams in the Big East doesn't seem that far-fetched. Then again, perhaps this is wishful thinking on my part.

18 hours ago, Pistol said:

I mean, I agree with all of this, which is why I'd hire Schertz and not even interview Ahearn.

I just don't think the dollars would ultimately be as far apart as you had said. My reason is more that SLU would overpay Ahearn - i.e. "This is the range we pay our head coach" - and not that Schertz would be underpaid relative to our competition.

Fair enough. If May was making the call on this I could see that, but he's not running this search, Dr.C is. You're saying the number is about $1.2 million for either Schertz or Ahearn. $1.2 would make Schertz around 8-10 in A-10 salary. If we are close on Schertz before he sits down with anyone else then I say the number is $2 million. If we sign Schertz it won't be for a bargain, regardless. The most I would pay Ahearn is 500k. No way Dr.C would way over-pay for an unknown commodity. If we land Schertz I hope your numbers are correct—more money for NIL.

1 hour ago, ACE said:

Perhaps the recent "snubbing" of the Big East will spark expansion talk. Also, for some time, I've felt like the expansion of other conferences would eventually make its way to the Big East. I know these were all prompted by football, but maybe the Big East will feel they need to grow as well.

Next year, the Big 10 will be at 18; ACC at 17; the SEC and B12 to 14; it seems Oregon State and Washington State to the MWC will be inevitable bringing it to 14 teams.

Having 14 or even 16 teams in the Big East doesn't seem that far-fetched. Then again, perhaps this is wishful thinking on my part.

Dayton & SLU to the Big East would make a lot of sense - catholic schools situated in cities and both are markets that the Big East isn't in right now. Problem for SLU has been the basketball quality. Dayton seems like a no-brainer.

VCU might make sense to go as well. Fits the UConn mold.

46 minutes ago, Soderball said:

Dayton & SLU to the Big East would make a lot of sense - catholic schools situated in cities and both are markets that the Big East isn't in right now. Problem for SLU has been the basketball quality. Dayton seems like a no-brainer.

VCU might make sense to go as well. Fits the UConn mold.

Dayton I think has the biggest challenge. 

2 hours ago, ACE said:

Conference will want to add, but will want to add Tv markets that expand the conference.  This is why I feel Dayton has a long way to go.  If they were a perennial power, that changes things. 

1 hour ago, slu72 said:

I think for Schertz they are going to have to match Archie’s salary at URI = $2mm. 

Be careful with that kind of talk. 05 called me a dumbsh.. when I made that prediction a month ago. 

1 hour ago, DOC said:

Fair enough. If May was making the call on this I could see that, but he's not running this search, Dr.C is. You're saying the number is about $1.2 million for either Schertz or Ahearn. $1.2 would make Schertz around 8-10 in A-10 salary. If we are close on Schertz before he sits down with anyone else then I say the number is $2 million. If we sign Schertz it won't be for a bargain, regardless. The most I would pay Ahearn is 500k. No way Dr.C would way over-pay for an unknown commodity. If we land Schertz I hope your numbers are correct—more money for NIL.

We're not hiring Ahearn

wgstl likes this