SLU Men's Basketball Head Coaching Candidates

1 hour ago, slu72 said:

I look at Will Wade and see Pearl and Sampson. McNeese St was 30-3 this year. He may not be an altar boy, but that’s not what we need. A winner is needed. 

I don't give two shakes on who the next coach is.  I'm certainly not going to lose any sleep over the selection.  I'll give him three years to see what he does.

But I did look up McNeese State's impressive 30-3 record.  Four of those wins were:  College of Biblical Studies, Champion Christian, LeTourneau, and - yes, get this - Mississippi University for Women.  I couldn't find the NET for the Women of Ole Miss.  But yes, Will Wade lead the McNeese Cowboys to a 92-23 drubbing of the Women of Ole Miss.  That likely got him votes for Coach of the Year in the 27th ranked Southland Conference.  

They did beat Michigan, but who didn't? 

I expect you don't believe me, (I wouldn't believe it either) but here is the link to their schedule.

https://mcneesesports.com/sports/mens-basketball/schedule

SLU_Lax likes this

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

I don't give two shakes on who the next coach is.  I'm certainly not going to lose any sleep over the selection.  I'll give him three years to see what he does.

But I did look up McNeese State's impressive 30-3 record.  Four of those wins were:  College of Biblical Studies, Champion Christian, LeTourneau, and - yes, get this - Mississippi University for Women.  I couldn't find the NET for the Women of Ole Miss.  But yes, Will Wade lead the McNeese Cowboys to a 92-23 drubbing of the Women of Ole Miss.  That likely got him votes for Coach of the Year in the 27th ranked Southland Conference.  

I expect you don't believe me, (I wouldn't believe it either) but here is the link to their schedule.

Why not?

slufan13 and JMM28 like this

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

Yet you post here incessantly. Obviously not a fan.

I mean we are hiring a coach from Indiana!!!! You should be head over heels excited.

7 hours ago, slu92 said:

They or Ahearn? Huge difference. Maybe “they” know more about guy and have been watching SLU go down the drain the last 10 years like we all have?

ummm it's only been 4 years since the NCAA tourney.   this past year was the second time under 500 since ford came to Saint Louis University.   had it not been for the chinese flu virus slu would have had 5 consecutive 20 win seasons going into this now past season.   in 2019 the billikens were in the NCAA tourney.   the billikens did get to the NIT a few times in the 10 years.  

yes no one is content with that.   but i dont think it is "down the drain" as you stated.  it just isnt what the fandom wants and with the change in rules with pay to play and no penalty for transferring, Ford no longer has any advantage to remain a college coach and it is time to move on.   i would hope the powers to be are smart enough not to resort to a shooting coach with no head coaching experience at all.   since you obviously dont understand the role of a head coach, that means more than the experience of drawing a play on the floor with chalk during a timeout.   a lot more.  

ahearn needs to go coach a few years in high school you know maybe go to desmet and be the head coach.   he wins a state title and then he can go to a juco or D2 job and be a coach.   win there after a few years he can then be an assistant on a D1 school.   he then could earn a shot as a head coach.   i am guessing maybe about 2048 Josh Schertz will be ready to retire after getting to the NCAA over 20 times, numerous sweet 16's plus.   then if Ahearn earned his chance he could apply for the Billikens job then.   

there is nothing wrong with being a good shooting coach.   i've read he is good at that.   if he isnt content at that, then maybe some college would indeed hire him as an assistant that specializes in that.   that could cut a few years off his road to a D1 head coach.   but be serious.  we arent going to resort to a shooting coach skipping all the experience steps to get to our job.   

7 hours ago, slu92 said:

Pretty much my point. Although since I found out I’m his dad tonight I probably should be more adamant defending my son.  Nobody is the only coach, hey Nick Saban was replaced within 48hrs….I just don’t get dismissing the guy bc he’s from STL and wants to be home without knowing nothing more about him. That’s what I don’t get? Honestly having a guy look at slu as a destination job, with our history, esp most recent history should be looked into, if he’s most qualified give him the job! If not, hire someone else. God forbid someone from stl who is coaching basketball would dare want to be considered for the slu job! IF Tatum was interested I’d say talk to him! Why not? It’s a conversation not offering a life long contract. People need to calm down, SLU ain’t a blue blood program. Not by a long shot. 

tatum left CBC to get another level of head coaching than high school.   i.e. he is already 2 steps ahead of ahearn.   ahearn needs to follow his example now and do the same.  tatum already 2 levels ahead of ahearn.  

I’m all in for Schertz and I’m not saying we grab Ahearn, but if it’s going to cost us $2 million to get Schertz are we better off paying someone like Ahearn $300k and use the rest for players? Add what they get from everyone else and you can buy the best roster in the A-10. While Schertz doesn’t appear to need a ton of talent to win in his system, he would not have won the A-10 with the talent we had this year. 

4 minutes ago, DOC said:

I’m all in for Schertz and I’m not saying we grab Ahearn, but if it’s going to cost us $2 million to get Schertz are we better off paying someone like Ahearn $300k and use the rest for players? Add what they get from everyone else and you can buy the best roster in the A-10. While Schertz doesn’t appear to need a ton of talent to win in his system, he would not have won the A-10 with the talent we had this year. 

No. Get a coach in that knows how to coach in-game. Get people excited about the program again. Win. And NIL money will follow. 

2 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

No. Get a coach in that knows how to coach in-game. Get people excited about the program again. Win. And NIL money will follow. 

It would be hard to pass on Schertz for sure, but you need that money to win long term. My hope is if it’s happening Dr. C also promised some NIL money. 

6 minutes ago, DOC said:

Ok Blake/Frank/DeSmet principal

If Schertz is coming here, you can be damn sure there is the commitment to spend what is needed NIL wise.  The fact that he is already willing to commit this early in the cycle should tell us all that at a couple boosters are willing to spend like a P5 program not only for the coach but for NIL.

2 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

ummm it's only been 4 years since the NCAA tourney.   this past year was the second time under 500 since ford came to Saint Louis University.   had it not been for the chinese flu virus slu would have had 5 consecutive 20 win seasons going into this now past season.   in 2019 the billikens were in the NCAA tourney.   the billikens did get to the NIT a few times in the 10 years.  

yes no one is content with that.   but i dont think it is "down the drain" as you stated.  it just isnt what the fandom wants and with the change in rules with pay to play and no penalty for transferring, Ford no longer has any advantage to remain a college coach and it is time to move on.   i would hope the powers to be are smart enough not to resort to a shooting coach with no head coaching experience at all.   since you obviously dont understand the role of a head coach, that means more than the experience of drawing a play on the floor with chalk during a timeout.   a lot more.  

ahearn needs to go coach a few years in high school you know maybe go to desmet and be the head coach.   he wins a state title and then he can go to a juco or D2 job and be a coach.   win there after a few years he can then be an assistant on a D1 school.   he then could earn a shot as a head coach.   i am guessing maybe about 2048 Josh Schertz will be ready to retire after getting to the NCAA over 20 times, numerous sweet 16's plus.   then if Ahearn earned his chance he could apply for the Billikens job then.   

there is nothing wrong with being a good shooting coach.   i've read he is good at that.   if he isnt content at that, then maybe some college would indeed hire him as an assistant that specializes in that.   that could cut a few years off his road to a D1 head coach.   but be serious.  we arent going to resort to a shooting coach skipping all the experience steps to get to our job.   

Ahearn was a high school coach for two years, starting in 2015.  He was 7-17 Clayton and 12-16 at Desmet.  Then the San Antonio Spurs G league team offered him the head coaching job.  And he did well in that position.  I agree, coaching a team composed of NCAA all-stars and NBA veterans doesn't require the same skill set as coaching at lower levels.

1 hour ago, brianstl said:

If Schertz is coming here, you can be damn sure there is the commitment to spend what is needed NIL wise.  The fact that he is already willing to commit this early in the cycle should tell us all that at a couple boosters are willing to spend like a P5 program not only for the coach but for NIL.

Don’t forget the buyout. There’s a lot of money being spent by our boosters to get this right. Wonder if the idiots who publicly went after them will apologize?

2 minutes ago, DOC said:

Don’t forget the buyout. There’s a lot of money being spent by our boosters to get this right. Wonder if the idiots who publicly went after them will apologize?

Do people normally get congratulated or job well done'd for correcting their mistake? They deserve appreciation on a macro level for their contributions, but nobody really deserves any sort of praise for the Travis Ford contract extension. Now if someone new showed up to help with the buyout, I'd like to shake their hand and thank them personally.

8 minutes ago, DOC said:

The only idiot in this situation is Chris May. The ire of any booster should be directed at him and him alone. 

thatskablamo and TheA_Bomb like this

10 minutes ago, DOC said:

Please enlighten us on how idiots publicly went after boosters?

12 hours ago, slu72 said:

I look at Will Wade and see Pearl and Sampson. McNeese St was 30-3 this year. He may not be an altar boy, but that’s not what we need. A winner is needed. 

The word of the lord… thanks be to God. This right here is what we need in the NIL world, and we’ve had too many acolytes who dropped the candles on the processional and lit the whole friggin church on fire. 72 nails it. 

2 hours ago, DOC said:

Where are these figures coming from?

I would expect SLU to pay either of them close to the same amount, and it would be somewhere in between those numbers. Schertz makes $365,000. I don't know what Ahearn makes but I'm guessing it's comparable. NBA assistants generally make 6 figures, with a pretty wide range depending on role and experience.

Bottom line is neither of them would be a huge savings over the other in terms of salary.