SLU Men's Basketball Head Coaching Candidates

4 minutes ago, courtside said:

Your tone sure is different when you send me messages asking me for SLU Men’s Basketball information than it is here.

They recently made 8 of 14 NCAA Tourneys in Men’s Basketball, which they didn’t think was good enough, and that’s before they made a bigger commitment to Men’s Basketball. 

Here’s their Men’s hoops expenses :

$13,587,388

https://ope.ed.gov/athletics/#/

SLU’s was 

$7,623,032

Here’s their new hoops building:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/sports/vandy/vanderbilt-unveils-images-of-basketball-operations-center/article_4746c0f0-5653-11ed-a026-2f8467956be4.html

It’s good that SLU is progressing and moving in a positive direction to be more competitive in Men’s Basketball. It helps to know the landscape out there a little bit.

Disagree!

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, slufan13 said:

We were promised the candidate the most would be satisfied with. It's Schertz or bust 

There's others that are also good. I do like the guy and really like his 5 out offense. But Devries, McCollum, Brey could be good too. Plus others that I haven't looked that deeply into UNC-A coach, App St. Coach, Colgate Coach.  Now this carousel is spinning and Schertz has a lot of options he has no connections to SLU that would make us think he would value us above some possible P5 openings he's mentioned for.

I do wish we officially terminated Ford after SBU and started the coaching search in earnest. Maybe we got ahead of some of this craziness.  Michigan, OSU and the dominoes they will cause concern me.

Optimum scenario

Cronin (though unlikely) to UofL, makes UCLA open. The UofL choice concerns me the most and the dominoes it causes

Dutcher to Michigan makes SDSU open

Wade to OSU makes McNeese St open

WVU Kerns App St open 

tOSU Deveries/Kelsey  Drake or CoC open

Vandy - Mack/Langel Colgate open

That leaves Schertz for SLU

19 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

We were promised the candidate the most would be satisfied with. It's Schertz or bust 

I give you three stars for your sense of humor.  I'm positive the #1 item on the search committee's list is to please the MBM's on Billikens.com.  And #2 isn't even in the same zip code.  😁

8 minutes ago, courtside said:

Biting the hand that feeds you is…………a strategy. 

Fed us what? The information you posted in this thread is like a horoscope so broad it means nothing. A coach is connected to a search firm.  OOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHH HOT NEWS STOP the presses.

Here's a few Courtside style inside information tidbits:

SLU boosters aren't all on the same page on who they want.

The search firm had a list and compared it to May's list when they first met.

A search firm is being used because the coaches they are after are still under contract with other schools.

Some agents have reached out to SLU.

The perspective coaches inquired about the amount available in NIL funds.

Larry Hughes has a preferred candidate.

Did I get it right?  Look at me I'm an insider. All the while I said only 2 things jack and sh*t.

thetorch likes this

3 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Fed us what? The information you posted in this thread is like a horoscope so broad it means nothing. A coach is connected to a search firm.  OOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHH HOT NEWS STOP the presses.

A search firm is being used because the coaches they are after are still under contract with other schools.

Did I get it right?  Look at me I'm an insider. All the while I said only 2 things jack and sh*t.

No. You didn’t get it correct. Not even close. 

Good luck. 

7 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Chris always posts vague sh.it. he lost all credibility last year when he said Ford was fired. Now he has to be vague about it all. You can tell by how upset he's getting 

thetorch likes this

12 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

I give you three stars for your sense of humor.  I'm positive the #1 item on the search committee's list is to please the MBM's on Billikens.com.  And #2 isn't even in the same zip code.  😁

After the search committee botched the Ford hiring and firing maybe they should listen to us

6 minutes ago, courtside said:

No. You didn’t get it correct. Not even close. 

Good luck. 

Stick to talking about your area of expertise 14 yo girls in Unbros

15 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

Chris always posts vague sh.it. he lost all credibility last year when he said Ford was fired. Now he has to be vague about it all. You can tell by how upset he's getting 

Lol. I think you are projecting your frustration. 

This is what people say and do that can’t discuss the topic which was basketball specific. They change the subject, gaslight, make up disparaging things, repeat them over and over, etc….

Instead of having a calm, normal, basketball specific discussion, where you may even obtain new information, you can’t get out of your own way. And the same few ruin it for everyone else.

This is why quite a few people no longer read or post in the basketball threads. 

AGB91, StLouBlue and blue bodega like this

7 minutes ago, courtside said:

Lol. I think you are projecting your frustration. 

This is what people say and do that can’t discuss the topic which was basketball specific. They change the subject, gaslight, make up disparaging things, repeat them over and over, etc….

Instead of having a calm, normal, basketball specific discussion, where you may even obtain new information, you can’t get out of your own way. And the same few ruin it for everyone else.

This is why quite a few people no longer read or post in the basketball threads. 

I know it's made it a lot better

But literally I texted 05 yesterday when I made the Vandy post saying I wonder if (chris) courtside will take the bait. I was right

Back to the task at hand. Schertz or bust

billiken_roy likes this

14 hours ago, slu72 said:

I’m no Wiz at math but if coach A leaves for Job B then Coach A’s seat needs to be filled and if Coach C fills the seat of Coach A then Coach C’s seat is open and on and on the carousel spins. It’s not about one school retaining a coach, it’s more about who replaces who and so on. I think it’s grows exponentially, but I’ll let our Wiz deal with the math. 

The math is simple...hire the best coach available.

Speaking of math...Ind St Chance 2 Dance  today 54%...dn 2% from yesterday

Speaking of Ind St...here is their report card...please note they have one of the best offenses if not the best offense ITN.

....................Off...................Def

PPG.....A+  8th ITN.............C

FG%.....A+  3rd ITN.............C+

3P%......A+  10th ITN...........B-

FT%.......A+   3rd ITN............

Reb........C+...........................A

54 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

But literally I texted 05 yesterday when I made the Vandy post saying I wonder if (chris) courtside will take the bait. I was right

This is true.

1 hour ago, TheA_Bomb said:

There's others that are also good. I do like the guy and really like his 5 out offense. But Devries, McCollum, Brey could be good too. Plus others that I haven't looked that deeply into UNC-A coach, App St. Coach, Colgate Coach.  Now this carousel is spinning and Schertz has a lot of options he has no connections to SLU that would make us think he would value us above some possible P5 openings he's mentioned for.

I do wish we officially terminated Ford after SBU and started the coaching search in earnest. Maybe we got ahead of some of this craziness.  Michigan, OSU and the dominoes they will cause concern me.

Optimum scenario

Cronin (though unlikely) to UofL, makes UCLA open. The UofL choice concerns me the most and the dominoes it causes

Dutcher to Michigan makes SDSU open

Wade to OSU makes McNeese St open

WVU Kerns App St open 

tOSU Deveries/Kelsey  Drake or CoC open

Vandy - Mack/Langel Colgate open

That leaves Schertz for SLU

Well you certainly know how to make the puzzle fit your expectations.  

HoosierPal likes this

18 hours ago, ACE said:

Yeah, that was FIVE years ago. A lot has changed in the college basketball landscape. See my other thread about the Mountain West. It's no longer a "mid-major." Big public universities are doing just fine in the NIL era, and will slide right in as one of the P6 as the Pac 12 dissolves. Gonzaga, St. Mary's and Dayton figure to be the only three at-large schools from leagues that don't have football. Let that sink in. This is where it has been trending in the NIL/free agency era.

The A-10 is ONLY getting in two teams because Dayton lost in the conference tournament. It's a one at-large bid league.

The A-10 could be a one bid league for ten years and nothing would change. Two realities are at work here:

• if you want an auto bid, you need to win your conference tourney. The difficulty of doing so measured by the conference you're in.
  • if you want an at-large bid, you need to be worthy in comparison to other teams searching for that bid. It's not some kind of lottery whereby Power 5 teams have way more balls than everyone else (see Boston College). It's about being one of the 34 best teams out of the roughly 320 who don't win their conference tourney. Teams in good conferences get a ton more chances, but they have to play better competition. Dayton navigated it this year. They didn't win a magic power ball. They did it by beating St. Johns, SMU, Cincinnati, and LSU. SLU had 5 Q1 games and 10 Q 2 games. They went 1-14. Plenty of bites at the apple on our schedule this year. 

1 hour ago, slufan13 said:

The fact that you think the board is better off because a handful of all- day posters have run off a lot of people is such a flex. Shut up and leave it to the experts to explain everything to us and everyone will be better for it. GTF outa here.  

billikens747 likes this

6 minutes ago, DOC said:

The fact that you think the board is better off because a handful of all- day posters have run off a lot of people is such a flex. Shut up and leave it to the experts to explain everything to us and everyone will be better for it. GTF outa here.  

Sorry Shane 

35 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Well you certainly know how to make the puzzle fit your expectations.  

Yeah it's a puzzle just thinking of some likely scenarios. I think our target is probably option 2 or 3 for some of the Big jobs

22 minutes ago, Crewsorlose said:

The A-10 could be a one bid league for ten years and nothing would change. Two realities are at work here:

• if you want an auto bid, you need to win your conference tourney. The difficulty of doing so measured by the conference you're in.
  • if you want an at-large bid, you need to be worthy in comparison to other teams searching for that bid. It's not some kind of lottery whereby Power 5 teams have way more balls than everyone else (see Boston College). It's about being one of the 34 best teams out of the roughly 320 who don't win their conference tourney. Teams in good conferences get a ton more chances, but they have to play better competition. Dayton navigated it this year. They didn't win a magic power ball. They did it by beating St. Johns, SMU, Cincinnati, and LSU. SLU had 5 Q1 games and 10 Q 2 games. They went 1-14. Plenty of bites at the apple on our schedule this year. 

To your point...take an 8th place team with a 9-9 record...should a team like that be Dancing?...The answer is yes,  if the team is Texas...almost a lock to get in. The argument  that the NET and the Committee would make is,  it is harder to finish 8th in the B12 than to finish 2nd in the A10. This year it worked out pretty nice for the A-10 but most years not so much....btw any extra mid major bids... the Committee will "fix" using the seeding system.

And whether people agree with any of this doesn't matter....that is the way the system(computer and people) is set up.

15 hours ago, thetorch said:

The best part of Slaten's rant was saying if SLU had recruited "better" Troy Slaten would have been our starting 2 guard in the 00s playing next to Mckinney and David Lee.

Did he really say this?!

Man, that guy hasn't changed a bit from the abusive sports dad getting kicked out of the gym during his son's games.

Troy was a one-dimensional HS player who could shoot and had really weird form. He went to Arkansas State, never played (the coach's fault, I'm sure), and transferred to UMSL. He's the 39th leading scorer in UMSL history. The idea that he'd be playing alongside Lee and McKinney is laughable. Set aside the fact that neither of them ever wanted to go to SLU, but if Troy were going to get a scholarship on a team with those two, he would be the 13th guy by a landslide and lucky to get garbage time minutes. Not someone who shares the court with stars.

In assessing whather a coach would be a good fit for SLU I think you need to answer four questions:

What kind of offense does he run?

What kind of defense does he run?

What level of player does he need to run those schemes?

Will his teams be able to defend well enough to win in the A10?

Other than when talking about Schertz and McCollum,  I've seen very little discussion about the first two questions and nothing at all about the last two.

StLouBlue likes this