Latest Ford Rumor

12 hours ago, BrettJollyComedyHour said:

I think it's my risk-averse nature that's scaring me, lol. I think I'm actually doing pretty well and have an Edward Jones person with an IRA and a house savings account, but the back of my mind constantly screams at me that I can't do it 😂 I'm happy to hear it's attainable!

Wait for the rates to come down. 

SLUMedBilliken15 and ARon like this

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, BrettJollyComedyHour said:

Dawg, the regular season is over for us as of today.

I mean as in the while season isn’t over. Firing coaches after regular season happens a lot, but not so much after a win 

It just doesn't make sense if they're going straight to Brooklyn. The team goes there and Ford goes home? He may know his fate and Trilly always seems to know but just does not seem at all like a SLU move 

2 minutes ago, TRN said:

The season is over today.  Brooklyn is post season, no need to prolong the inevitable. Hand him a plane ticket to STL when the team arrives at the hotel in NYC.

Are we sure he will be part of the travel party to Brooklyn? Not saying we’re getting an announcement today, but there could already be some kind of separation agreement with Ford.

Just now, brianstl said:

Are we sure he will be part of the travel party to Brooklyn? Not saying we’re getting an announcement today, but there could already be some kind of separation agreement with Ford.

Yeah if we've heard and the source is right he's heard

Just now, brianstl said:

I think you are probably right. It’s not some big mystery and it’s not like he’s in limbo.

As I watched today's game in the TV this afternoon, the occasional frames showing Ford appeared very different from the way he has looked in other recent games. In most recent games Ford's voice yelling could be heard, particularly in the radio, and the times when he was shown in TV he looked both agitated and was red faced many times. At the end of the game he was hoarse. This was not the case today, he was much calmer, his face was not red, and he did not look agitated. This is just an observation, it can mean absolutely anything at all, but he was neither agitated nor looked pi-sed off today during the game, and yes, we did well today. I wonder why he did not look as in the other games? Is the fact that we won this game all there is to it? 

1 hour ago, slufan13 said:

Trilly always knows but it just doesn't make sense to fire him tomorrow 

If the two names that are being bandied about as finalists are true, it actually does makes sense to formally open it up ASAP. If you have one candidate who has already indicated that he would accept the job if offered and the other you're not sure whether or not is using the job as leverage for a P5 job, you open it up and make the latter candidate sh*t or get off the pot.

2 minutes ago, Old guy said:

Bizz, after this season, I doubt very much that a potential job offer by SLU can be used as leverage for a P5 job, we are that low at this time.

Maybe leverage was the wrong word choice. But if you have one candidate who has clearly indicated he would take the job and another that has said he's interested, but you're not sure if you actually have a shot to land him, firing Ford Sunday provides clarity. The "second" coach would need to seriously engage or you formalize a handshake agreement with the "first" coach and announce as soon as his team gets bounced from the tournament.

1 hour ago, Old guy said:

As I watched today's game in the TV this afternoon, the occasional frames showing Ford appeared very different from the way he has looked in other recent games. In most recent games Ford's voice yelling could be heard, particularly in the radio, and the times when he was shown in TV he looked both agitated and was red faced many times. At the end of the game he was hoarse. This was not the case today, he was much calmer, his face was not red, and he did not look agitated. This is just an observation, it can mean absolutely anything at all, but he was neither agitated nor looked pi-sed off today during the game, and yes, we did well today. I wonder why he did not look as in the other games? Is the fact that we won this game all there is to it? 

Well, you're the doctor, you tell us!

3 hours ago, Old guy said:

Bizz, after this season, I doubt very much that a potential job offer by SLU can be used as leverage for a P5 job, we are that low at this time.

Of course, a coach can use any potential offer as leverage for a salary raise.

6 hours ago, White Pelican said:

Well, you're the doctor, you tell us!

OK but what I can add at this time is not medical in nature. Ford has been the SLU basketball HC since March 2016. Initially he was partially paid by the contractually agreed payments he was to get for being fired from OSU before the end of his contract. In a prior episode he left UMass early to go to OSU and most likely received similar payments. I am sure about the OSU payment, this is not the case about the UMass payments. The current episode with SLU is coming close to another early termination, whenever it happens, and he will receive a high amount of residual payments as determined by his contract.

What is Ford to do? The obvious answer is to get another coaching job. The not obvious  choice is to make a change of direction and do something else. I think that a lot depends on how much money he has accumulated in retirement and investment accounts. Assuming, and this is my assumption, that he probably has successfully accumulated a significant amount of money in retirement and investment accounts, he has other job options available to him.

The obvious thing to do is to find another highly paid HC job. This may or may not work. He may find it difficult to get something that pays him near his current income. Of course he will be paid by SLU for early termination as agreed in his current contract. So, all depends, following his normal pattern of employment, upon how well he performs in the new HC position, and how much of an increase in salary he may get with his contract renewals. If he does not get enough, then he has a problem.

I think eventually he is likely to get to a situation when he has to accept a significant decrease in his income as a basketball HC. He will probably will not like this, but it probably will happen sometime sooner or later. At this time a lot will depend upon the amount of capital he has saved in retirement and investment accounts. If he has enough he may continue living out of his retirement and invested savings by budgeting and withdrawing money out of his accounts. 

One option that he can take at some time in the future, when he reaches this point, is to become an investor or a businessman. I chose the investment route after my retirement because I do not know anything about managing my own business but I know the investment business. If Ford has saved enough money he can become an accredited investor and learn how to invest profitably. Of course, he can use an financial manager to deal with his money instead of doing it himself. There are other ways to provide income for yourself after you have to retire from your present occupation. What he chooses is entirely up to him.

Ultimately he will probably have to make a choice between a number of options, other than coaching basketball, or slowly consuming his saved capital. Going back to the way he looked during today's game, I think he realizes there are better options for himself than trying to stay as basketball HC at SLU. As I tried to point out, he has a number of options available if continuing as a basketball HC somewhere does not work. I wish him good luck and all the best with the transition when and if it happens.

1 hour ago, Old guy said:

OK but what I can add at this time is not medical in nature. Ford has been the SLU basketball HC since March 2016. Initially he was partially paid by the contractually agreed payments he was to get for being fired from OSU before the end of his contract. In a prior episode he left UMass early to go to OSU and most likely received similar payments. I am sure about the OSU payment, this is not the case about the UMass payments. The current episode with SLU is coming close to another early termination, whenever it happens, and he will receive a high amount of residual payments as determined by his contract.

What is Ford to do? The obvious answer is to get another coaching job. The not obvious  choice is to make a change of direction and do something else. I think that a lot depends on how much money he has accumulated in retirement and investment accounts. Assuming, and this is my assumption, that he probably has successfully accumulated a significant amount of money in retirement and investment accounts, he has other job options available to him.

The obvious thing to do is to find another highly paid HC job. This may or may not work. He may find it difficult to get something that pays him near his current income. Of course he will be paid by SLU for early termination as agreed in his current contract. So, all depends, following his normal pattern of employment, upon how well he performs in the new HC position, and how much of an increase in salary he may get with his contract renewals. If he does not get enough, then he has a problem.

I think eventually he is likely to get to a situation when he has to accept a significant decrease in his income as a basketball HC. He will probably will not like this, but it probably will happen sometime sooner or later. At this time a lot will depend upon the amount of capital he has saved in retirement and investment accounts. If he has enough he may continue living out of his retirement and invested savings by budgeting and withdrawing money out of his accounts. 

One option that he can take at some time in the future, when he reaches this point, is to become an investor or a businessman. I chose the investment route after my retirement because I do not know anything about managing my own business but I know the investment business. If Ford has saved enough money he can become an accredited investor and learn how to invest profitably. Of course, he can use an financial manager to deal with his money instead of doing it himself. There are other ways to provide income for yourself after you have to retire from your present occupation. What he chooses is entirely up to him.

Ultimately he will probably have to make a choice between a number of options, other than coaching basketball, or slowly consuming his saved capital. Going back to the way he looked during today's game, I think he realizes there are better options for himself than trying to stay as basketball HC at SLU. As I tried to point out, he has a number of options available if continuing as a basketball HC somewhere does not work. I wish him good luck and all the best with the transition when and if it happens.

What are you talking about about? Ford is addicted to coaching basketball. He would take the Fontbonne job before hanging it up.

He may end up at William & Mary or something next year.

8 hours ago, Soderball said:

What are you talking about about? Ford is addicted to coaching basketball. He would take the Fontbonne job before hanging it up.

He may end up at William & Mary or something next year.

He will stay as a HC for as long as he can. However what happens when the salaries offered become too low, or when he just gets no offers? He will still be alive and has to figure out what he is going to do. If you think head coaches may have no offers, or no acceptable offers after being let go from their positions, search what team is Cuonzo Martin coaching this season.