Transfers - 2024

ACE

34 minutes ago, Aquinas said:

I'll disagree with you. Something as big as changing schools and NIL money, a player is most likely  going to tell a friend, girl friend and or a parent. 5 players, no way that stays sealed. 

This is Terre Haute, ISU they get less coverage than SLU.  Less fan scrutiny as well. Easier for things to remain private.  

I've been the leader of small teams, I already know without asking who my ride or dies are

But all speculation at this point

• Replies 779
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

52 minutes ago, WVBilliken said:

Well, yes, would love to get him back to SLU.  But an advanced degree from a top business school like Northwestern would look nice on the resume.

Yes, there are several wild cards in this portal jump.  Kelly School of Business at IU is top notch also.  And I"m sure SluSignGuy knows of the potential academic benefits at Georgetown.

There are several unique twists to this portal jump.  Most have been discussed already.  His relationship to Coach Tate, how important is that?  His girlfriend?  Would she/could she transfer?

Dr. C gave him an internship last summer.  Is there a tie between those two gentlemen that would pressure Jimerson to stay at SLU - future job potential?  Or would Chaifetz hire Jimerson post hoops, for full time employment no matter where he goes to finish his academic career?

Most portal jumps are about the highest amount of money available.  I'm guessing there are other as important issues here.

Former Dallas Jesuit HS 6'1, 190 lbs, SG Gavin Perryman enters the portal. Was recruited to Texas by Chris Beard. Didn't play much in 2 seasons.  Was unranked out of HS and walked-on.  Perhaps the high 3PT% and assists makes him good for 5 out?

https://www.burntorangenation.com/2021/6/1/22464070/gavin-perryman-commits-texas-longhorns-recruiting-2021

"As a senior, Perryman averaged 19.6 points per game and shooting 45.8 percent from three-point range while leading Dallas Jesuit in assists (90) and steals (36). Perryman scored 34 points in two different games as a senior. An All-District first team selection as a sophomore and junior, Perryman led the Rangers in scoring and assists during the 2019-20 season."

Dallas Jesuit competes in 6A

3 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Texas Tech 6'7" soph

I don't want to play this game again with him. Dragged us last year just to go back to TTU

20 hours ago, Aquinas said:

I'll disagree with you. Something as big as changing schools and NIL money, a player is most likely  going to tell a friend, girl friend and or a parent. 5 players, no way that stays sealed. 

But isn't that what is happening?  Guys on this board are saying he is bringing players with him.  Where would they be getting that from?

1 hour ago, cgeldmacher said:

But isn't that what is happening?  Guys on this board are saying he is bringing players with him.  Where would they be getting that from?

They are pulling those rumors from their buttholes.  I hope a couple players come with the new coach, whoever that is ..... but I don't believe anything these days until it actually happens.

Old guy likes this

58 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Yep, I have always been concerned that free agency would disproportionately hurt non-P6 schools. I was told by some that with the players transferring "down" from P6 schools, that it would all even out. I kept an open mind to that argument, but my first instinct was correct. There were so many former low and mid-major players playing key roles for P6 teams in the Sweet 16 teams. One of many reasons why there are a dearth of non-P6 at large bids. And then when you get a team like ISU that defies the odds, they get screwed by the dreaded "eye test."

Billiken Rich and willie like this

2 hours ago, ACE said:

Yep, I have always been concerned that free agency would disproportionately hurt non-P6 schools. I was told by some that with the players transferring "down" from P6 schools, that it would all even out. I kept an open mind to that argument, but my first instinct was correct. There were so many former low and mid-major players playing key roles for P6 teams in the Sweet 16 teams. One of many reasons why there are a dearth of non-P6 at large bids. And then when you get a team like ISU that defies the odds, they get screwed by the dreaded "eye test."

-I would like to see an interview with the Selection Chair and next year's Chair at the F4 and ask with the tournament still fresh what, with the benefit of hindsight, would you change for selecting next year's event -- I would also ask what put UVA in the tourney over ISU given the ~23 difference in NET

-and what sort of post event review they do on their selection process

22 minutes ago, Cowboy II said:

-I would like to see an interview with the Selection Chair and next year's Chair at the F4 and ask with the tournament still fresh what, with the benefit of hindsight, would you change for selecting next year's event -- I would also ask what put UVA in the tourney over ISU given the ~23 difference in NET

-and what sort of post event review they do on their selection process

The Committee doesn’t care about their mistake. The money is in the bank. 

7 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

The Committee doesn’t care about their mistake. The money is in the bank. 

That is very true. They see no mistake.  They can’t understand why anyone would think there was a mistake made.

4 hours ago, ACE said:

The first players to enter the portal are usually the ones who are transferring up.  That only makes sense.  They want the bidding war to start as soon as possible.  Some guys who are getting booted to make room for the new guys haven't been booted yet. 

And some of those unwanted players will go on to be starters or even all-conference players at their new destination.  Happens in the A-10 every year.

Once the high majors decided to drop good mid-majors from their non-conference schedules, they effectively locked mid-majors out of the at-large discussion.  

28 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

The first players to enter the portal are usually the ones who are transferring up.  That only makes sense.  They want the bidding war to start as soon as possible.  Some guys who are getting booted to make room for the new guys haven't been booted yet. 

And some of those unwanted players will go on to be starters or even all-conference players at their new destination.  Happens in the A-10 every year.

Once the high majors decided to drop good mid-majors from their non-conference schedules, they effectively locked mid-majors out of the at-large discussion.  

Star you made the transfer down argument last year and I don’t think it was true. If you give me examples I will stand corrected. 

13 minutes ago, willie said:

Star you made the transfer down argument last year and I don’t think it was true. If you give me examples I will stand corrected. 

Ezewiro, a guy who couldn't get off the bench for a bad P6 team, averaged 12 and 6 for an equally bad Billikens team.  This isn't a sexy example, but it's fairly typical.

The co-player of the year in the A10 is Richmond's Jordan King, an all-conference player who transferred from another mid-major.  Same with second-teamer Keyshawn Hall from George Mason. That's also fairly typical.

Matt Cross was a role player at his previous P6 stops.  He was a first-teamer at UMass.  Nate Santos couldn't get off the bench at Pitt.  He was a second-teamer at Dayton.  And so on.

brianstl likes this

10 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Ezewiro, a guy who couldn't get off the bench for a bad P6 team, averaged 12 and 6 for an equally bad Billikens team.  This isn't a sexy example, but it's fairly typical.

The co-player of the year in the A10 is Richmond's Jordan King, an all-conference player who transferred from another mid-major.  Same with second-teamer Keyshawn Hall from George Mason. That's also fairly typical.

Matt Cross was a role player at his previous P6 stops.  He was a first-teamer at UMass.  Nate Santos couldn't get off the bench at Pitt.  He was a second-teamer at Dayton.  And so on.

While you gave me a couple of names it’s still a fairly small sample. Seems like more lateral transfers 

ACE likes this

14 minutes ago, willie said:

While you gave me a couple of names it’s still a fairly small sample. Seems like more lateral transfers 

You would expect more lateral transfers than anything else.  There are lot more teams outside of the P6 than there are inside of it.

However, don't you think it's strange that folks hyper-focus on the starters who transfer up but ignore the guys who transfer down and put up numbers right away?  If the lowly Billikens had such a player, then I can think you can safely assume every team in the conference has at least one.  I pointed out the all-conference players because those are the ones that most people are interested in.