GDT: SLU v. VCU

9 hours ago, Billikenbooster said:

For an old fart who refused to do Twitter/X, what is wrong with his X?

mhg

A lot of reactionary sound bites that look good in the moment but don't stand up to any scrutiny.

For instance he tweeted that VCU's offense was something to fear after their win over us.  VCU struggles to score over 50 against all but the worst defenses in the country.  It shows he does no background work, Rohsteain assumes SLU is an OK defense and VCU is now an offensive firepower.  

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rothstein's Twitter is insufferable because it is repetitive, banal, and lame. And his dumb nicknames and catchphrases for every coach get turned into t-shirts that he hawks constantly. Rothstein seems like an AI-generated basketball media figure.

Box and Won and brianstl like this

1 hour ago, VeniceMenace said:

Ford makes Uncle Sodaberger look like John Wooden.

Soderberg's defensive schemes won a national title.  He is a great coach, just not a Head Coach.

I'd settle for a top 100 defense right now.

VeniceMenace likes this

19 hours ago, Pistol said:

Rothstein's Twitter is insufferable because it is repetitive, banal, and lame. And his dumb nicknames and catchphrases for every coach get turned into t-shirts that he hawks constantly. Rothstein seems like an AI-generated basketball media figure.

Travis Ford.

Used Car Salesman. 

21 hours ago, White Pelican said:

I always thought Soderberg was a fine game coach. Seemed to do more with less. Recruiting? Not so much.

IMO Soderberg is one of the best "x's and o's" guys in basketball and has been for years. He's on the Virginia bench for a reason.

He couldn't recruit or identify talent. That said, if it hadn't been for us bringing in Rick f'ing Majerus we probably would have kept him. He hit the vaunted "20 win" number the year he got canned in a much tougher environment than CTF has EVER had to play in.(no Chaifetz arena; guys practiced at West Pine.. and a nasty vicious CUSA schedule that lined us up against Louisville, Marquette, Cincinnati, Charlotte, UAB) That conference was very tough. This one is a weak one-bid cupcake where even Dayton drops games regularly.

These are Dick Bennett's defensive schemes, not Sodie's. Brad has been a good loyal soldier to the Bennett family, but outside of being a disciple of that one system and assisting for that one family, I question how much in demand he would be with other D1 programs. He was fortunate to have played for Dick Bennett and that helped set him up on his coaching career path. Then Tony Bennett later coming along with the opportunity at UVa was fortuitous. It was a good fit. I don't think there were a lot of D1 jobs beating down his door at the time he was at Lindenwood. 

1 hour ago, Soderball said:

IMO Soderberg is one of the best "x's and o's" guys in basketball and has been for years. He's on the Virginia bench for a reason.

He couldn't recruit or identify talent. That said, if it hadn't been for us bringing in Rick f'ing Majerus we probably would have kept him. He hit the vaunted "20 win" number the year he got canned in a much tougher environment than CTF has EVER had to play in.(no Chaifetz arena; guys practiced at West Pine.. and a nasty vicious CUSA schedule that lined us up against Louisville, Marquette, Cincinnati, Charlotte, UAB) That conference was very tough. This one is a weak one-bid cupcake where even Dayton drops games regularly.

Just sticking with the facts - Sodie's last two seasons were in the A-10, and he finished 8th in the conference in his final season.

2 minutes ago, ACE said:

Just sticking with the facts - Sodie's last two seasons were in the A-10, and he finished 8th in the conference in his final season.

still had X in there. Tougher conference back then, too.

Point remains: FIRE FORD

5 minutes ago, ACE said:

These are Dick Bennett's defensive schemes, not Sodie's. Brad has been a good loyal soldier to the Bennett family, but outside of being a disciple of that one system and assisting for that one family, I question how much in demand he would be with other D1 programs. He was fortunate to have played for Dick Bennett and that helped set him up on his coaching career path. Then Tony Bennett later coming along with the opportunity at UVa was fortuitous. It was a good fit. I don't think there were a lot of D1 jobs beating down his door at the time he was at Lindenwood. 

No, and firing him was the right move. Firing Ford right now is also the right move.

Say what you will about Soderberg but his teams could defend. Watching us routinely give up 80+ points to mediocre offenses has me nostalgic for the days of holding teams to under 55 despite a questionable level of talent and a much harder schedule.

Soderball and JMM28 like this

1 hour ago, Soderball said:

Brad was great as a defensive X's and O's guy.  This goes back to his one year as an assistant here when the team finishes 10th in the country in Pomeroy's defensive ratings.  The only to other times SLU finished in the top 10 were the 13 and 14 tournament teams. 

He was bad offensively with the X's and O's.  His highest ranked team in Pomeroy's offensive efficiency ratings was 131 and that was his only team that had rating higher than 150.  He had two teams well below 200. 

Soderball and ACE like this

11 hours ago, Pistol said:

Say what you will about Soderberg but his teams could defend. Watching us routinely give up 80+ points to mediocre offenses has me nostalgic for the days of holding teams to under 55 despite a questionable level of talent and a much harder schedule.

Soderberg: The coach who lower the Chevy's promotion from scoring 70 points to 60 points ;)

But I agree...Soderberg doing the @Triangle and Too on Gonzaga was one of the best coaching decisions I saw in person.

3 hours ago, SluSignGuy said:

Soderberg: The coach who lower the Chevy's promotion from scoring 70 points to 60 points ;)

But I agree...Soderberg doing the @Triangle and Too on Gonzaga was one of the best coaching decisions I saw in person.

BRO THE CHEVY'S PROMOTION! I REMEMBER THAT THEY COULD NEVER SCORE 70 POINTS

Was a good promotion also. Ate a lot of fajitas.

Now that's nostalgia. That team could not score at all. Much more fun to watch than this mess.