2023-2024 Season

Aquinas

I could be wrong, but I thought Bruuuuuuuce was supposed to have a nice outside-shooting touch. His free throws look good, but I haven’t seen him attempt a 3 this year.

With our offense (big man at the top of the key) he’s often wide open, with his defender slinking back into the paint. 

Also, saw the Globetrotters at Enterprise last night. Their 3-man weave was 👨‍🍳 😘 

• Replies 833
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, thunderdan said:

I could be wrong, but I thought Bruuuuuuuce was supposed to have a nice outside-shooting touch. His free throws look good, but I haven’t seen him attempt a 3 this year.

With our offense (big man at the top of the key) he’s often wide open, with his defender slinking back into the paint. 

Also, saw the Globetrotters at Enterprise last night. Their 3-man weave was 👨‍🍳 😘 

I believe shot one and it was a brick

26 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Don't know what to think of this.  Sounds like a hire if SLU was going to play the NIL game correctly, but Its been said that's not how they want to use NIL.  

4 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Don't know what to think of this.  Sounds like a hire if SLU was going to play the NIL game correctly, but Its been said that's not how they want to use NIL.  

This guy appears to be on the cutting edge of NIL. Maybe somebody, even this guy was the one to make them understand. So as long as they are hiring him to let him work on the cutting edge, then I'm all for this.

9 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

This guy appears to be on the cutting edge of NIL. Maybe somebody, even this guy was the one to make them understand. So as long as they are hiring him to let him work on the cutting edge, then I'm all for this.

Ya, I  think SLU/BVF is not doing NIL currently, so I'm all for someone straightening up that department. I know it can be taken as irrelevant, but a part of me thinks hiring this guy will buy Ford another year.  If I'm Ford, I'm saying hey, let me be apart of this, not the weak attempt from before. 

7 minutes ago, Box and Won said:

Update: Still not enjoying it.

Did you not enjoy yesterday? That was decent midseason excitement. Similar to beating a KP 112 team on the road. 

10 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Ya, I  think SLU/BVF is not doing NIL currently, so I'm all for someone straightening up that department. I know it can be taken as irrelevant, but a part of me thinks hiring this guy will buy Ford another year.  If I'm Ford, I'm saying hey, let me be apart of this, not the weak attempt from before. 

After the social media meltdown yesterday, I thought that was the final nail in the coffin. But, like you, I now have a similar thought about this hire. Perhaps we are reading too much into it.

1 minute ago, ACE said:

After the social media meltdown yesterday, I thought that was the final nail in the coffin. But, like you, I now have a similar thought about this hire. Perhaps we are reading too much into it.

Could be working toward an overhaul to get behind Ford. Could be working toward overhauling NIL for the next guy.

one upside: with my totally baseless and factless speculation..

the lengthy amount of time to fill the post was probably because we wanted this guy. I wouldn't be surprised if he was entertaining other offers given his very good resume for navigating NIL issues. This is a pretty new field and lawyers who specialize in this are probably not that common yet.

21 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Could be working toward an overhaul to get behind Ford. Could be working toward overhauling NIL for the next guy.

Exactly. Regardless of who the coach is, it is in SLU’s best interest to have a well-functioning NIL program. Does “NIL program didn’t have its ducks in a row, so we couldn’t get players” become another excuse like injuries, Situation 2, Covid, that kept us from making the NCAAs and is used as justification for giving Ford another year? Maybe, maybe not. 

Just now, DeSmetBilliken said:

Exactly. Regardless of who the coach is, it is in SLU’s best interest to have a well-functioning NIL program. Does “NIL program didn’t have its ducks in a row, so we couldn’t get players” become another excuse like injuries, Situation 2, Covid, that kept us from making the NCAAs and is used as justification for giving Ford another year? Maybe, maybe not. 

Right. I would really prefer us start over with a new coach next year. But if we have Ford, I'd rather have this guy on staff than not. 

16 minutes ago, Soderball said:

Could be working towards an improved NIL program regardless of who the coach is.

I’ll go with NEEDS to be working towards an improved NIL program regardless of who the coach is.  This guy zooms like someone who knows NIL a lot better than anyone else currently at SLU. I think we need his expertise.

TheChosenOne and ACE like this

5 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Right. I would really prefer us start over with a new coach next year. But if we have Ford, I'd rather have this guy on staff than not. 

DO NOT GET SOFT

9 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Oh I’m still very hard. All I’m saying is that I can appreciate this athletics department improving itself for the sake of improvement. 

i just hate how it opened the door ever so slightly.... but good move yeah

After last night's win over SJU, Kenpom is projecting SLU to go 13-18 for the season. SLU is at 50% or better winning probability in 3 games (Davidson, Fordham, GW). This doesn't count the A10 PIG assuming we'd lose that too the record would be 13-19 if the projections hold true.  Ford's last season at OSU his record was 12-20. So good news, he's improving.

• 3 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, thunderdan said:

Anyone heading to Chicago this week, for the Loyola game?

If you go, you may be the only fan there wearing blue. 

• 1 month later...

-looking at a few stats for the season on KenPom and found this interesting -  on offense our 2pt fg% was 282nd in the country at 47.3

-Tenn was 291, Baylor 303, Creighton 315, Texas Tech 324, Nebraska 337, BYU 340 and Alabama 348

-on offense our 3pt fg% was 143 at 31.6

-Tenn was 107, Baylor 130, Creighton 14, Texas Tech 84, Nebraska 36, BYU 2 and Alabama 35

-on defense we were 312, as in 50 from the bottom, in 3pt %defense