Jump to content

Womens Basketball 2023-2024


thetorch

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, BrettJollyComedyHour said:

I at least want a neutral site. I feel like that's not unreasonable for a championship. Maybe the other twin city across town or something.

that’s clearly not how this tournament is operating. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 905
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, Lord Elrond said:

From the WNIT website:

The Gophers (20-15) will take on Saint Louis in the title matchup, which is set for tipoff (location TBA) at 3 p.m. ET on Saturday, April 6, to be broadcast by CBS Sports Network.

So it’s TBA arena for now…

TBA Arena is a great basketball venue.

TheA_Bomb likes this
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, BrettJollyComedyHour said:

I at least want a neutral site. I feel like that's not unreasonable for a championship. Maybe the other twin city across town or something.

Maturi Pavillion looks like it’s connected to Williams Arena. What if whatever they have going on up there needs both spaces?  Seems like if that was the plan it would have already been announced.  I’m getting really curious to see how this turns out, the WNIT had to know there was a real chance of this happening for several days now. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

Maturi Pavillion looks like it’s connected to Williams Arena. What if whatever they have going on up there needs both spaces?  Seems like if that was the plan it would have already been announced.  I’m getting really curious to see how this turns out, the WNIT had to know there was a real chance of this happening for several days now. 

Right, once they got to the final 4 they had to reach out to each school to determine availability.  I’m sure they have been working on contingency plans.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, BrettJollyComedyHour said:

I still say we just have it at the Tower Grove Park basketball courts 🤷‍♂️

🤷‍♂️ Maybe. Any place they select will have to be a place which is set up to broadcast a game, or CBS SN will tell them no, and be able to seat an audience of some kind. The two places in the St Louis area most likely to be able to do that are SIUE or Lindenwood (which are D1 schools in the OVC where they are set up for broadcasting games) or the University of St Thomas in Minnesota. Only a little over 48 hours to make this happen, so they need to figure out something.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

🤷‍♂️ Maybe. Any place they select will have to be a place which is set up to broadcast a game, or CBS SN will tell them no, and be able to seat an audience of some kind. The two places in the St Louis area most likely to be able to do that are SIUE or Lindenwood (which are D1 schools in the OVC where they are set up for broadcasting games) or the University of St Thomas in Minnesota. Only a little over 48 hours to make this happen, so they need to figure out something.

Yeah, the logistics seem f*cked for this.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

And I forgot to add, normally a school which goes and helps another gets some goodwill points from other NCAA schools in the country club atmosphere of the NCAA Presidents. HOWEVER, in this case, the NCAA is actively trying to kill off the WNIT and replace it with the WBIT, which the NCAA controls. So another university which helps the WNIT may actually cheese off the rest of the NCAA. Just another little tidbit in the whole thing

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

And I forgot to add, normally a school which goes and helps another gets some goodwill points from other NCAA schools in the country club atmosphere of the NCAA Presidents. HOWEVER, in this case, the NCAA is actively trying to kill off the WNIT and replace it with the WBIT, which the NCAA controls. So another university which helps the WNIT may actually cheese off the rest of the NCAA. Just another little tidbit in the whole thing

Any competition to the NCAA is a fundamentally good thing, but I hate that the WNIT is a pay to play type of tournament. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, almaman said:

Really? I went to one Bill's NIT game there. I. found it miserable. same game?

Miserable is too harsh I think.......it was a good game......better than West Pine by.....well.....a lot.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

Miserable is too harsh I think.......it was a good game......better than West Pine by.....well.....a lot.

Right now I’d say beggars can’t be choosers. If it can be set up to broadcast a national game within 48 hours (already logistically difficult), then go for it. I would not be surprised to hear that CBS SN is calling the WNIT every 15 minutes on the phone and screaming at them “Where do we go to get this set up?”

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

Right now I’d say beggars can’t be choosers. If it can be set up to broadcast a national game within 48 hours (already logistically difficult), then go for it. I would not be surprised to hear that CBS SN is calling the WNIT every 15 minutes on the phone and screaming at them “Where do we go to get this set up?”

Especially since you need a team of crew/truck/stats people for a national broadcast like that. For a 2 PM start, all of them need to be there around 6 to 8 hours prior.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

Miserable is too harsh I think.......it was a good game......better than West Pine by.....well.....a lot.

They have upgraded it a bit. But it's still a dump. I'd rather watch it there than any other feasible option in the area(Enterprise is not one of them)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, Billikenbooster said:

The Dreja final buzzer beater!!!

Top 5 Billiken memory of mine. Fun to watch a game in a new environment for that novelty. A good night spent with my dad. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, SLU_Lax said:

Top 5 Billiken memory of mine. Fun to watch a game in a new environment for that novelty. A good night spent with my dad. 

One of mine too, one of the few in person Billiken games I was with both my uncle who made the Billiken fan I am today and my mom for. Was sitting way closer than I had at Scottrade and center court. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, BrettJollyComedyHour said:

Zac Brown Band is big enough to sell 60 to 75% of an Enterprise sized arena. Adam is just the icing on the cake for our weirdly devoted country fan base in the area.

The concert is a fundraiser for Cardinal Glennon. It happens every year at Chaifetz. Always a country act. I belive the performers donate their performance. I wonder if SLU makes anything on it? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The women have turned a losing season into a winning season by winning 5 tourney games. Saturday, assuming someone finds a gym, they will play their 40th game of the season. (I am not counting the exhibition nor the forfeit).

Has either the men's or the women's teams at SLU ever played 40 games in a season before?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...