Jump to content

Womens Basketball 2023-2024


thetorch

Recommended Posts

Overdue to start the thread this year.

For all those reconsidering purchasing Mens season tickets please consider the cheaper alternative of the Women.  This program deserves more support after last seasons A-10 tournament championship and first-ever appearance in the NCAA tournament.  I am renewing my season tickets.  It should be a great year as my 4 year old daughter has discovered sports.  She will be with me at every game.

Brooke Flowers is back as a Grad Asst.  She played a huge part in establishing a winning culture at SLU and I look forward to her interactions and affect on the next group of players, pushing them to take the program to new heights.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 834
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, thetorch said:

Overdue to start the thread this year.

For all those reconsidering purchasing Mens season tickets please consider the cheaper alternative of the Women.  This program deserves more support after last seasons A-10 tournament championship and first-ever appearance in the NCAA tournament.  I am renewing my season tickets.  It should be a great year as my 4 year old daughter has discovered sports.  She will be with me at every game.

Brooke Flowers is back as a Grad Asst.  She played a huge part in establishing a winning culture at SLU and I look forward to her interactions and affect on the next group of players, pushing them to take the program to new heights.

Second this idea. It was quite a ride last year, amazing to see a team grow so much right in front of you. It’s a different game than the men, but it is enjoyable in its own right, and well worth the price. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Pistol said:

That's about as good a hire as you could ask for in a grad assistant.

And yes, I also hope the crowds grow this season for WBB. They've earned it.

Bringing Brooke back in this capacity has to be a net win for morale. The dynamic at the end of last season was unbeatable.

Pistol likes this
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Sevval Gul is now a professional player, she signed with Emilak Konut of the Turkish Basketball League in Istanbul, Turkey per the WBB instagram account. 
 

I’m kind of shocked Brooke Flowers didn’t make a professional team somewhere, but if she didn’t want to go overseas to play, I get it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

Sevval Gul is now a professional player, she signed with Emilak Konut of the Turkish Basketball League in Istanbul, Turkey per the WBB instagram account. 
 

I’m kind of shocked Brooke Flowers didn’t make a professional team somewhere, but if she didn’t want to go overseas to play, I get it.

Brooke is currently a grad assistant on the team.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, BrettJollyComedyHour said:

Brooke is currently a grad assistant on the team.

I know, I was saying that I thought Brooke had the skills to play professionally overseas after she wasn’t selected in the WNBA draft if she wanted to. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

I know, I was saying that I thought Brooke had the skills to play professionally overseas after she wasn’t selected in the WNBA draft if she wanted to. 

Oh that makes more sense. I think she likes it here well enough that she wanted to stay in some capacity. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Lord Elrond said:

I know, I was saying that I thought Brooke had the skills to play professionally overseas after she wasn’t selected in the WNBA draft if she wanted to. 

With the Russian league out of bounds to American players now (Russia had by the far most teams, best pay) it is much harder to get a euro pro contract that is worthwhile as an American player. A citizen of those countries has a much easier time getting signed than an American, they usually only have 3-4 americans on a roster. Hundreds of top americans played in Russia and they have now flooded the lower leagues in other countries.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The only real option for an American women player in the US is the WNBA, and their pay isn’t all that great (Brittney Griner was playing in Russia because of this in the WNBA offseason).  Not sure I’d recommend an American woman play in Russia right now even if the Russians would allow it, which they aren’t.  It will be interesting to see if the WNBA can grow the league, but lots obstacles stand in the way.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I didn't think much of Brooke's game other than she was tall.  Lots of blocks (of course).  Rebounds but not dominant rebounding or control of the boards.  No real offesnive moves.  Granted, I might have seen parts of a dozen or so games over hwer career but that's women's basketball to me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Taj79 said:

I didn't think much of Brooke's game other than she was tall.  Lots of blocks (of course).  Rebounds but not dominant rebounding or control of the boards.  No real offesnive moves.  Granted, I might have seen parts of a dozen or so games over hwer career but that's women's basketball to me.

Brooke is probably the most dominant defensive player in program history.  Other that that I don't think much of her game.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Pistol said:

Got her master's in accounting from SLU and is at PWC.

A few of the women from the Golden Stone era seem to have gone into finance, oddly enough. The only one playing anything that I know of is Kerri McMahan and she's in the WFA.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@RUBillsFan:  she was tall.  She blocked shots.  I guess in some volumes that is the definition of "most dominant defensive player."  Now, i wouldn't get too excited about "program history" because, well, ours sucks.  Plus we rarely played anybody --- inside of conference or out.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

Why are we downplaying Flowers' game? Back-to-back A10 DPOY, finalist for Naismith (national) DPOY, 2nd team all-conference, led the nation in blocks, double-double machine, even got a triple-double with blocks, and stepped up her scoring considerably down the back half of the season as she led the program to its first ever NCAA Tournament appearance. She was great, one of the top few players in program history.

She scored over 1000 points and got 1000 rebounds (although they haven’t updated the record book yet). Only Jackie Kemph did the same in the women’s program, and I think there have only been 3 SLU men who did the same. Someone who scored 1000 pts, got 1000 rebounds, AND got all those blocks is anything but one dimensional.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Look at the box scores in the A10 Championship:

Quarter Final against St Joseph’s: Brooke Flowers 12 pts 15 rebounds

Semi Final against Rhode Island: Brooke Flowers 12 pts 14 rebounds

Championship against UMass: Brooke Flowers 13 pts 7 rebounds

Not a one-dimensional player

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I wonder if Ciaja Harbison has any regrets?  

How good would the Billikens have been if she stuck around?  Probably seeded higher and maybe in a position to have won a game in the tournament.

Publicly she seemed really high on Vandy and her experience there. 2nd team all-SEC, too. Missing the Tournament had to sting, though.

SLU could've been very, very good by the end of the season had she stayed, no doubt.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Publicly she seemed really high on Vandy and her experience there. 2nd team all-SEC, too. Missing the Tournament had to sting, though.

SLU could've been very, very good by the end of the season had she stayed, no doubt.

In retrospect, it is pretty obvious that Stone's last season was a really bad coaching job.  There is no excuse for only winning 9 games with a roster that included Harbison, Flowers, Kennedy and Martinez.  They should have had a much better record even with the pretty tough non-con schedule they had.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Pistol said:

Why are we downplaying Flowers' game? Back-to-back A10 DPOY, finalist for Naismith (national) DPOY, 2nd team all-conference, led the nation in blocks, double-double machine, even got a triple-double with blocks, and stepped up her scoring considerably down the back half of the season as she led the program to its first ever NCAA Tournament appearance. She was great, one of the top few players in program history.

If it wasn't clear "we" is only Taj.  My post was intended to call attention to the insanity of his post.  I think very highly of Flowers game.

Brook Flowers was tall...she blocked shots, but...

Anthony Bonner was big & tough...he rebounded, but...

Erwin Claggett was a good shooter...he made 3s, but...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...