SLU Donations FY 23 & AD Donations

Got the email from SLU stating $37,566,286 was donated to SLU in FY23 and 17.28% of that went to Athletics.  So that's $6,491,454 donated to Athletics this FY.  

Is that inclusive of funds for the new O'Loughlin Family Champions Center? 

15 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Got the email from SLU stating $37,566,286 was donated to SLU in FY23 and 17.28% of that went to Athletics.  So that's $6,491,454 donated to Athletics this FY.  

-good luck getting an answer from the ADept, they guard financial information like, well, they really guard it and I can't come up with a good comparison

10 minutes ago, Cowboy II said:

-good luck getting an answer from the ADept, they guard financial information like, well, they really guard it and I can't come up with a good comparison

Colonel Sanders 13 original herbs & spices?  Coca-Cola formula?

$6mil isn't enough for the building but maybe there is some partial amount donated counted in that #.  Anyway $6mil donated.

9 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

$6mil isn't enough for the building but maybe there is some partial amount donated counted in that #.  Anyway $6mil donated.

SLU put out in 2021 that the O’Laughlin Family Champions Center would cost $20 Million, 100% privately donated.  Not sure how much in cost overruns there were during this project, but given all the impacts of inflation, finding workers, etc. that have plagued every business and project over the past two years it would not surprise me to learn it was over budget. I’m sure that every company doing work on it, or supplying material to it, will get paid one way or the other. If SLU has to dip into reserves to pay it they will, but they will be looking for donors to make up what was spent on it this year, even next year if they need to.

SLU has to report some things to comply with federal law, and I am convinced that they report what they must when required. But they are a private university, there’s a ton of stuff they don’t have to report, especially on the financial side, and they keep it private. I’m not going to criticize them for it, every other private university does exactly the same as SLU. Makes it frustrating, but there you have it.

1 hour ago, TheA_Bomb said:

The mention of the Coca Cola formula brought back memories of my trip to the Coca Cola HQ years back. They keep the formula in a vast vault where they keep all sorts of company memorabilia. The vault is open during regular hours and visitors are allowed to enter it to see its contents. I remember having a talk with some exec about how concerned they were with someone hiding in the vault before closing, stealing the formula, and coming out of the vault next day mixed in with the tourists. Well, I freely offered the company a simple solution to their problem. I told them to evacuate all the air out of the vault after it is closed at the end of the visiting hours. If there happened to be anyone hiding in there to steal the formula, they should find him/her after opening the vault the next day or after the dead body starts to stink. I do not think Coca Cola adopted my freely offered solution.

2 hours ago, TheA_Bomb said:

I am betting that most of the big Champions Center donations were in FY22 which ended June 30, 2022.  $139 million was raised in total in FY22.

38 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I am betting that most of the big Champions Center donations were in FY22 which ended June 30, 2022.  $139 million was raised in total in FY22.

Not sure this is correct. I believe they structured donations at least for some over a three year period. 

1 hour ago, willie said:

Not sure this is correct. I believe they structured donations at least for some over a three year period. 

I am sure they did.  I am just pointing out pledges made in FY22 were credited in their full amount to FY22 according to the press release they sent out when celebrating $609 million total SLU raised in the multi-year Accelerating Excellence Campaign.  So the money pledged in FY22 is included in the FY22 total regardless of the year it was actually structured to be paid.

JMM28 likes this

17 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I am sure they did.  I am just pointing out pledges made in FY22 were credited in their full amount to FY22 according to the press release they sent out when celebrating $609 million total SLU raised in the multi-year Accelerating Excellence Campaign.  So the money pledged in FY22 is included in the FY22 total regardless of the year it was actually structured to be paid.

I love fuzzy fundraising math! All the cool universities are doing it.

Pledge in one hand, crap in another. See which fills up first. 

brianstl likes this

Interesting video, but what it shows is that the actual building of the shell is still going on, walls and floors are not complete, etc. The interior finishing of a new building takes a fair amount of time, particularly if some of the materials they plan to use are in short supply. They need to fit doors and mechanicals (HVAC), escalators, lights, bathroom fixtures, flooring. Inspections to certify the installations are done in the proper way need to be done as new systems are installed. The building may or may not be completed by October.

Did anyone else receive that mailer recently for the project? It was about a dozen of those kind of computer generated images of the new facility. Probably the worst done mailer I’ve ever received from the school. There was no writing just one image on each page with nothing on the other side. It was like a grade school project. Reminded me of the Crews era recruiting graphics.

NextYearBill and AGB91 like this

9 hours ago, Old guy said:

Interesting video, but what it shows is that the actual building of the shell is still going on, walls and floors are not complete, etc. The interior finishing of a new building takes a fair amount of time, particularly if some of the materials they plan to use are in short supply. They need to fit doors and mechanicals (HVAC), escalators, lights, bathroom fixtures, flooring. Inspections to certify the installations are done in the proper way need to be done as new systems are installed. The building may or may not be completed by October.

True, but they wouldn’t have hung all that drywall and prepped it for painting if the hadn’t completed all the rough in and gotten sign off from the inspectors for plumbing, electrical, HVAC and any data cabling.  No competent contractor would put up drywall if they thought there was the slightest chance they would be ripping it down for any reason.  Spray on some paint on the walls, and they are ready for all the finishing work in all the above areas, ceilings look to be just drop ceilings like in any office building, and carpet or office grade floor tiles can go down fairly quickly. Excellent points about supply issues or finding enough workers in this day and age, but the video is also over a month old at this point too don’t forget. They look to be on track or close to it.

Old guy likes this

@Lord Elrond:  thanks but I too have seen this.  I was asking kind of over and above the internal propaganda piece just where we stand along in the process.  Thought someone would be able to add two cents into the rendering.  Good to see that you added the October bit.  That was kind of what I was looking for.  

On a separate note, I keep looking at google maps and google earht to see where the construction site is but I am guessing those aren't updated much.  Where exactly is this going up on campus?

36 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

@Lord Elrond:  thanks but I too have seen this.  I was asking kind of over and above the internal propaganda piece just where we stand along in the process.  Thought someone would be able to add two cents into the rendering.  Good to see that you added the October bit.  That was kind of what I was looking for.  

On a separate note, I keep looking at google maps and google earht to see where the construction site is but I am guessing those aren't updated much.  Where exactly is this going up on campus?

It’s actually connected to Chaifetz. Look at google earth, you will see a triangle area of grass to the northwest of Chaifetz Arena. It’s going there, in that triangle, basically connected to the pavillion area of Chaifetz (the square extension off of Chaifetz) on one side, the walking path on the other, and the parking lot on the third side of the triangle. Those are roughly the outlines of the footprint of the new construction.

On 8/2/2023 at 11:28 AM, Cowboy II said:

Hopefully they guard it better than the 3-point line.

7 hours ago, Lord Elrond said:

It’s actually connected to Chaifetz. Look at google earth, you will see a triangle area of grass to the northwest of Chaifetz Arena. It’s going there, in that triangle, basically connected to the pavillion area of Chaifetz (the square extension off of Chaifetz) on one side, the walking path on the other, and the parking lot on the third side of the triangle. Those are roughly the outlines of the footprint of the new construction.

So it is right by the Billiken sculpture? Or does that go?

14 hours ago, Lord Elrond said:

The Billiken sculpture stays, the new construction doesn’t extend that far.

Good. Since I am fan from out-of-town, I only make it to about 2 home games a year.

It has been my custom when entering the Chaifetz to scratch the Billiken belly for a win. Worked about 80% of the time 😛

21 minutes ago, MusicCityBilliken said:

Good. Since I am fan from out-of-town, I only make it to about 2 home games a year.

It has been my custom when entering the Chaifetz to scratch the Billiken belly for a win. Worked about 80% of the time 😛

I usually rub Chaifetz hair on the bronze inside.

3 hours ago, MusicCityBilliken said:

30 years ago i used to do that to the billiken belly.   then my son told me what the students do to the billiken belly these days.   i now only gaze at the billiken statue from afar.

43 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

30 years ago i used to do that to the billiken belly.   then my son told me what the students do to the billiken belly these days.   i now only gaze at the billiken statue from afar.

Man......get some Clorox wipes and rub the damned belly........you do realize that this explains our current nadir????