O.T. Thoughts about potential new A-10 member

15 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Last I checked, the IRS was a part of the same system as Congress.   No way all this cash goes "free."

Any income a player receives will have to be claimed for tax purposes. Some of the collectives are 501Cs as they do charity work and enjoy the tax benefits of that program.

And the first domino falls.  And here is why they asked for an extension.  The Pac 12 is still attempting to get a reasonable TV contract but they have nothing finalized.  

San Diego State would need to give a year of notice to withdraw next June. If it waits past June 30, the exit fee it would owe jumps from nearly $16.5 million to nearly $34 million.

3 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

And the first domino falls.  And here is why they asked for an extension.  The Pac 12 is still attempting to get a reasonable TV contract but they have nothing finalized.  

San Diego State would need to give a year of notice to withdraw next June. If it waits past June 30, the exit fee it would owe jumps from nearly $16.5 million to nearly $34 million.

This might be a stupid question thats already been covered, but related to TV contracts, what happens with our TV if/when Bally goes down the toilet?

20 minutes ago, BrettJollyComedyHour said:

This might be a stupid question thats already been covered, but related to TV contracts, what happens with our TV if/when Bally goes down the toilet?

I think that depends on exactly how Bally swirls down the toilet. If it’s Chapter 11, they will continue operating. Being in Chapter 11 bankruptcy means that they have figured out a way to keep their creditors (the various sports teams they pay royalties too are probably the biggest, along with bond holders) happy enough and convinced they have a way forward to profitability.  If it’s Chapter 13, then they liquidate all assets to pay off debt and go out of business. They might end up dividing the business and try to keep operating the regional ones that are profitable, and nix the ones that aren’t.  Still need to figure out how this all plays out. I’m guessing Bally and everyone else involved is still trying to figure it out.

55 minutes ago, BrettJollyComedyHour said:

We don't have a contract with Bally per se.  We negotiate with them each year as to what games they may want to broadcast that are not part of the A10 TV package.  In fact it use to be that we even sold the ads for the game but I don't know how it works now.  I am sure Bally would be interested in the content if the price/conditions were right.

1 hour ago, BrettJollyComedyHour said:

I’ve been wondering about that as well. Will we still get the bulk of our games on ESPN+?

5 hours ago, juniorbill76 said:

The C2C Conference

(Coast to Coast or Sea to Sea)

Ok let’s see how that breaks down. 
East Div; UD, VCU, FU, STB’s , MESSPHIS, SLU, Loyola. Add Belmont

West Div; SDSU, ZAGA, St M’s, BYU, WSU, Nevada, Boise St

14 teams 7 in East 7 in West. Perfect. Big metro areas. Some good history/tradition. 

It makes too much sense, therefore, it’ll never happen. I wish we had an AD who would spearhead this effort. It would be a very entertaining conf. 

21 minutes ago, thetorch said:

If I'm Gonzaga and anybody calls me up with a conference that contains Fordham I couldn't hang the phone up fast enough.

I get your point but people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.  We are no big draw either.

19 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

we would be re-inventing another conference USA.   SLU has commonalities with less of these schools than in any conference we have ever been associated with.  imo this is a disaster in the making and i pray this doesnt happen.   

if i am going to dream of a better conference, just kick the losers out of the A-10.   do that by the conference passing out mandates on facilities, athletic budgets and academic accomplishments most of the bad schools will expel themselves.   once we shrink to the size that has common thinking schools meeting the mandates, we can then try to add same thinking and performing schools to grow if we want.   

getting in a conference with a bunch of public schools is going to kill your non revenue sports.  we cannot compete.   plus doesnt this sea to sea conference have some second tier football schools?   nothing good has ever come from slu being in a football thinking conference.  typically the football schools end up running the show and bullying the other schools.   

AGB91 likes this

12 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

I get your point but people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.  We are no big draw either.

I'll throw stones from my glass house at Fordham all day long.

Fordham last THIRTY seasons - 3 seasons they finished over .500

SLU last THIRTY seasons - 22 seasons we've been over .500.

I'm down on our program but I'm not down enough to think we have sunk anywhere close to the depths of Fordham.

AGB91 likes this

9 minutes ago, thetorch said:

I'll throw stones from my glass house at Fordham all day long.

Fordham last THIRTY seasons - 3 seasons they finished over .500

SLU last THIRTY seasons - 22 seasons we've been over .500.

I'm down on our program but I'm not down enough to think we have sunk anywhere close to the depths of Fordham.

My point was not to compare us to Fordham over the last 30 years but to simply say that we are not a program now that causes other schools to jump at getting us.  By the way Fordham beat us

2 hours ago, cheeseman said:

My point was not to compare us to Fordham over the last 30 years but to simply say that we are not a program now that causes other schools to jump at getting us.  By the way Fordham beat us

If given the choice between playing in a conference with SLU or Fordham every AD in the country would pick SLU.  Hands down no equivocations.

ANy notion of putting SLU on the same level as Fordham means you aren't a BIllikens fan and you are a SLU hater.

5 hours ago, thetorch said:

If given the choice between playing in a conference with SLU or Fordham every AD in the country would pick SLU.  Hands down no equivocations.

ANy notion of putting SLU on the same level as Fordham means you aren't a BIllikens fan and you are a SLU hater.

For goodness sakes.  You have no idea what every AD would think.  So sorry for not bowing done to infinite wisdom

HoosierPal likes this

8 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

we would be re-inventing another conference USA.   SLU has commonalities with less of these schools than in any conference we have ever been associated with.  imo this is a disaster in the making and i pray this doesnt happen.   

if i am going to dream of a better conference, just kick the losers out of the A-10.   do that by the conference passing out mandates on facilities, athletic budgets and academic accomplishments most of the bad schools will expel themselves.   once we shrink to the size that has common thinking schools meeting the mandates, we can then try to add same thinking and performing schools to grow if we want.   

You needn’t worry B’Roy.  This isn’t going to happen.