Rebecca Tillett hired as Women's Basketball Coach

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So there is a spot! @RUBillsFanpls apologize.

I guess the above link confirms that Akila Smith isn't in the portal, so there ends that idea. I'm not interested in the other Longwood player in the portal, Briana Johns. Sophomore who averaged 4.5 and 3.3 in 18 MPG.

2 minutes ago, Pistol said:

I'm not interested in the other Longwood player in the portal, Briana Johns. Sophomore who averaged 4.5 and 3.3 in 18 MPG.

At this point it just feels like we're Longwood plus Brooke Flowers and Julia Martinez.

5 minutes ago, Pistol said:

So there is a spot! @RUBillsFanpls apologize.

I guess the above link confirms that Akila Smith isn't in the portal, so there ends that idea. I'm not interested in the other Longwood player in the portal, Briana Johns. Sophomore who averaged 4.5 and 3.3 in 18 MPG.

My bad.  I didn't remember anything about Prifti transferring, didn't see anything on Twitter about it, she wasn't on your list of transfers & she was in the photo from Tillet's first day.  I just assumed she was staying.  1,000 apologies.  I'll institute a 30 second ban from posting on myself as penance.

2 minutes ago, BrettJollyComedyHour said:

At this point it just feels like we're Longwood plus Brooke Flowers and Julia Martinez.

Marisa Warren is a solid player and Kiley Bess is promising & a good shooter.  They were the 4th & 5th leading scorers on the team this past season. 

I think the more optimistic feel is SLU replacing Harbison & McNeal with the 2 Longwood players while everyone else is healthier & has an additional year of experience under their belt.  I fully expect that team to perform better than this past season's injury ravaged squad.  However, I'm doubtful they'll be good enough to compete for an A10 title or NCAA bid.  WNIT is a realistic possibility if things go right (remember the WNIT is 64 teams).

13 minutes ago, BrettJollyComedyHour said:

The rest of the roster does need to work and improve. Someone needs to become a genuine 3 point threat, whoever can do that will get playing time. For the remaining spot, I’d say go for the best 3 point shooter to be found

1 minute ago, RUBillsFan said:

My bad.  I didn't remember anything about Prifti transferring, didn't see anything on Twitter about it, she wasn't on your list of transfers & she was in the photo from Tillet's first day.  I just assumed she was staying.  1,000 apologies.  I'll institute a 30 second ban from posting on myself as penance.

Marisa Warren is a solid player and Kiley Bess is promising & a good shooter.  They were the 4th & 5th leading scorers on the team this past season. 

I think the more optimistic feel is SLU replacing Harbison & McNeal with the 2 Longwood players while everyone else is healthier & has an additional year of experience under their belt.  I fully expect that team to perform better than this past season's injury ravaged squad.  However, I'm doubtful they'll be good enough to compete for an A10 title or NCAA bid.  WNIT is a realistic possibility if things go right (remember the WNIT is 64 teams).

Accepted. Ban lifted, on account of it being 1+ minute already.

Agree with your last paragraph, too. This basically gets us back to where Stone was operating most seasons. I wonder what the long-term vision looks like in terms of upgrading talent.

18 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

Marisa Warren is a solid player and Kiley Bess is promising & a good shooter. 

Agreed. No disrespect intended to either of them. In terms of team identity I think we're a bit disjointed, though.

3 hours ago, RUBillsFan said:

Roster is full with 13 scholarships, so no room for a possible MST return or Akila Smith unless I'm missing something.  Correction: there appears to be one spot left on the roster.

Here is last year's roster with players expected to be on this years roster in bold:

Marisa Warren 5'8" G - returning

Ciaja Harbison G - grad transferring to Valderbilt

Natalie McNeal G- transferring to Green Bay

Peyton Kennedy 5'11" F - returning

Ny Toang F - transferring (no destination yet)

Julia Martinez 5'10" G - returning

Sevval Gul 6'4" F - returning

Kiley Bess 6'0" G - returning

Anna Maria Prifti 6'0" G/F - returning transferring (no destination yet)

Sarah Lazar 6'2" F - returning

Myriama Smith Traore F - graduating / not returning

Brook Flowers 6'5" F/C - returning

Ronni Nwora F - transferring to Buffalo

Then SLU is adding:

Kyla McMakin 5'11' G - transfer in from Longwood

Kennedy Calhoun 5'5" PG - transfer in from Longwood

Ashleigh Conner 5'11" G - incoming freshman

Abby Liber 5'11" G/F - incoming freshman

Mia Nicastro 6'2" G/F - incoming freshman

Two. Roster above is from RUBillsFan

2 hours ago, RUBillsFan said:

Peyton had her moments as well.  Strong and athletic.  As much upside as anyone on the team.

1 hour ago, billikenfan05 said:

3 including Isabelle Tillett. But the staff situation is what is the real bizarre part IMO.

Is she on scholarship? 

I'd agree that's a lot of staff following her, but there seems to be some ridiculous expectations for a coach that was previously recruiting to a lower level school to have filled slots with high ranked recruits after 1 month on the job. We need to give her a chance to succeed before criticizing her. 

2 hours ago, slufanskip said:

Is she on scholarship? 

I'd agree that's a lot of staff following her, but there seems to be some ridiculous expectations for a coach that was previously recruiting to a lower level school to have filled slots with high ranked recruits after 1 month on the job. We need to give her a chance to succeed before criticizing her. 

Tillett's daughter? No.

If we can't criticize a coaches decision making, no matter when, what are we doing here?

9 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

This may be the first coach in the history of Billikens basketball that gets no honeymoon period.  MBMs will be calling for her firing by the end of the season if she doesn't make the NIT.

The problem is most won’t care.  This was a chance to change that on day one with the right hire.

47 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

This may be the first coach in the history of Billikens basketball that gets no honeymoon period.  MBMs will be calling for her firing by the end of the season if she doesn't make the NIT.

Part of it was because firing Stone was a head-scratcher given her success in breathing life into the program. Yes she had plateaued, but the firing seemingly came from nowhere.

1 hour ago, billikenfan05 said:

Tillett's daughter? No.

If we can't criticize a coaches decision making, no matter when, what are we doing here?

Criticize away. Seems silly though to criticize decisions of which you have no knowledge of how they’ll turn out. You don’t know if the hires are great or not do you? If I’m wrong and you have some inside info on them, please tell. You weren’t on board with her hire from day 1. At least give her an opportunity to fail first

willie and BilliesBy40 like this