Rebecca Tillett hired as Women's Basketball Coach

On 5/14/2022 at 9:42 AM, thetorch said:

Reasons I am going to complain about the hire - 

There is no one from St. Louis on her staff - Stone didn't always have one either, she did have regional people on her staff and when she first got here she did have a local there.  No attempt by Tillet here.

She's reproduced her staff from Longwood - A HOF coach can bring all their people in to every stop, most don't do this though.  A coach at her level really can't.  She has though.  This also show that maybe she limited connections in the industry as well, not a good thing.

She's posted the team doing meditation during practice on social media - We have a set amount of time for player development every week, lets work on basketball skills instead of namaste, JMHO.

The one Asst coach she hired is clownish - Not making fun of looks here.  Her promotional photo she is wearing a bow tie and a mens suit jacket with the tags still on it.  I know the culture is different in womens Bball, but this is the equivalent of a man wearing random baseball hat with the sticker on the bill in his photo.  To some who say this is a cool look for young people and I'm too old, its not a cool look and I'm not that old.

Another Asst coach is from Chicago St - I know she worked with Tillet before but Chicago St is the worst run AD in D-1.  I'm not touching anyone they hire.

All the transfers she brought in are from Longwood - Again this shows a lack of connections and a lack of recruiting skill.  There are only so many players she can bring in from Longwood.

This hire reeks of SLU being cheap - This is out of Tillets control but they are all interconnected and this is my overriding concern.  I think MMP put it best, May made this hire because he thinks he can get more out of the program with the same level of commitment.  I thought SLU was past this level of thinking.  

Saint Louis is a top academic school.  Women's basketball is WAY different from Men's basketball.  Getting to the right school for a quality education is likely a very high top want for women ..... much more so than for the men IMO.  So local recruiting may be less of a priority or need.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, WVBilliken said:

Saint Louis is a top academic school.  Women's basketball is WAY different from Men's basketball.  Getting to the right school for a quality education is likely a very high top want for women ..... much more so than for the men IMO.  So local recruiting may be less of a priority or need.

Is it really?

Its not top 100.

Just like the men SLU women have had the most success being led by locals.

JMM28 and BilliesBy40 like this

21 hours ago, WVBilliken said:

SLU isn't Harvard. I also think womens basketball isn't much different than men's basketball when it comes to recruiting. I think you see a lot more of the "I want to major in ____ so I am looking exclusively at ___ schools" in the non-full-scholarship sports. 

• 3 weeks later...