Rebecca Tillett hired as Women's Basketball Coach

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, slu72 said:

Let’s be fair! Cue up the Pit Bull and give her a big Bills welcome. 

I don't think anyone is disappointed. I think when you fire a head coach who brought your program from the depths of hell and then hire just a younger version of that coach, you wonder why? It gives off the impression that you're looking to improve without actually making a bigger financial commitment to winning.

3 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

I don't think anyone is disappointed. I think when you fire a head coach who brought your program from the depths of hell and then hire just a younger version of that coach, you wonder why? It gives off the impression that you're looking to improve without actually making a bigger financial commitment to winning.

This ^ like I'm not going to not give her a chance, but this is entirely what it feels like.

22 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

I am disappointed. I didn’t expect them to hire a coach who just finished a season with a team that had a lower NET ranking than the Billikens.

SLUMedBilliken15 likes this

7 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I am disappointed. I didn’t expect them to hire a coach who just finished a season with a team that had a lower NET ranking than the Billikens.

But they want to make the NCAA tournament every year 🙄 to Coach Tillett's credit, she did make the tournament, but that's a mighty small sample size.

7 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Hadn't even gotten into the weeds that far. Interesting and disappointing to hear.

I don’t see anything in her resume to indicate a history of recruiting in the Midwest either. That should have been a must.

43 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

A perceived higher ceiling.

slufanskip likes this

@brianstl:  I don't profess to know or understand the NET and my only understanding is listening to guys bemoan our low NET because our conference opponents are weak or having a down year but isn't that true of Longwood being in the Big South?  Longwood did play Maryland (#4), Drake, Duquesne, Iowa State (#14) and Richmond among others in the OCC but then faced a conference schedule where only four  teams besides themselves were above .500 0verall and two of those just barely (High Point and Gardner Webb).  Seems unfair to use the NET as a measuring stick in that regard.

45 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

A perceived higher ceiling.

If this is supposed to be the perception, what happens if she doesn't make the NCAA tournament in her first few years? Is she out? If they're serious about contending for the tournament every year, then this would not be ideal.

2 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

Not sure how they are the same versions - Stone was let go from WI.  Tillett is coming from a lower conference and is leaving on a high note.

This is shocking to me. She may be great and I will really support her, but as a fan of women's basketball and the Lady Bills this is a low excitement hire. If I'm Lisa Stone I'd be angry.

Welcome, Coach Tillett! Do your thing and prove the doubters wrong!

From what I can tell, she played at William and Mary under Coach Trina Patterson. Her bio still up at Longwood when I looked said both her parents were coaches, and 3 of her 4 brothers and sisters are coaches currently (in various things, not just basketball. The only experience she may have had recruiting in the Midwest was when she was an assistant at IUP in Indiana for a year, the rest of her coaching was high school in Virginia, assistant at Navy, and then at Longwood. So all in Virginia and Maryland. Hopefully she can hire some assistants who know the local area.

thatskablamo likes this

3 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

From what I can tell, she played at William and Mary under Coach Trina Patterson. Her bio still up at Longwood when I looked said both her parents were coaches, and 3 of her 4 brothers and sisters are coaches currently (in various things, not just basketball. The only experience she may have had recruiting in the Midwest was when she was an assistant at IUP in Indiana for a year, the rest of her coaching was high school in Virginia, assistant at Navy, and then at Longwood. So all in Virginia and Maryland. Hopefully she can hire some assistants who know the local area.

I don’t get this drive to always be local. That is a bit micro - didn’t Larry B want to move SLU from a commuter school to a University with national prominence? Why can’t our recruiting strategy be the same way? The Mid-Atlantic is a hot bed of great men’s and women's high school hoops with great programs plus you can leverage the fact their parents can see them play at Mason, VCU, Richmond, GW, etc. Let’s put the tentacles out there! Don’t we want to broaden our scope as more than a regional university? I’m sure the new coach will drive some spikes into the local coaching tracks - these relationships take time - May wouldn’t have hired her if he had any worries about her ability to network.